INXS-Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
I just got this album today (my local Best Buy had it out for sale, but Amazon says it will be out Tuesday..maybe I beat the system!) So far, I am impressed with the first 3/4ths of it. The last few songs may be growers. I am, and will always be a fan of the Hutchence era. Without comparing Switch to that, I would have to say I am pretty impressed so far. "Devil's Party" is a classic INXS opener, "Afterglow", "Remember, Who's Your Man", "Never Let You Go", and "Hungry" are all standouts so far. JD Fortune will never sound like Hutchence, but he can hold his own for the most part. The age difference between him and the rest of the band may end up being an issue down the line, though. Not a bad effort....glad to have some new music from these guys, even if it is without the one and only (and sorely missed) Michael Hutchence.

its not bad, i got it today, could be better, hopefully it grows on me...jd's not a bad singer, he's no hutch though

Bunbury said:
The age difference isn't that huge the new singer I think is in his midthirties.

I read a review that said JD Fortune was 31.
So, it's about 15-16 years on average.

So it's not real huge, but I think he looks young for 31, and well Tim at least looks every bit of his 48.

I saw the video, and I watched the show and I still think 'Pretty Vegas' is pedestrian at best. But considering Bon Jovi has decent hit with the 'worse than abominable, even for Bon Jovi'- 'Have a Nice Day' they may very well have a smash hit.

bands have replaced lead singers who've died before... and i don't have a problem wtih that. just because the lead singer dies doesn't mean that the rest of the band can't continue to make a living.

ac/dc did it to great success after the death of bon scott.

mother love bone turned the death of andy wood into the temple of the dog project, which eventually of course lead to the forming of pearl jam.

it's been done... and i don't have a problem with it being done if it's done the right way and it's done with class.

a reality show to pick a replacement? sorry... gotta draw the line there.

Argee with Headache about needing the TV Show....in the bands defense, they have picked a couple of singers before this without a TV show....but haven't released a new record with a new singer (correct me if i'm wrong)
In the end it just turned into another American Idol show...

I Downloaded this today, and as I tend to do with Non U2 albums, I listen to only a few tracks, rather than the whole lot.
Having heard Pretty Vegas from Rockstar INXS, I do Like it, as well as Perfect Strangers. Must bring myself to listen to it in full.

Should've stuck with Jon Stevens.

"WHY HAVE INXS DONE THIS?" someone asks.

Cause they are sell outs.

That however, is not to suggest that they are a bad band. I love their music....and I also don't mind Pretty Vegas. High quality music from a high quality band.

I wish Aussie music coulrd return to the glory days of when the Oils and INXS were absolutely massive however.

Still I find the whole idea of using television to find a frontman somewhat cringeworthy.

i'm not even an INXS fan... i like some of their stuff... always respected Hutchence's talent and all... but i just find it revolting that they would replace their dead lead singer with an american idol like reality tv show.

those of you who actually don't have a problem with this... imagine if we were talking about u2 replacing bono here... i'm guessing you wouldn't be so eager to jump on board.

^ :up:

does anyone on this board specifically think there's nothing wrong with this whole disaster? the music aside, if people like it, they like it, i'm talking about the process. just curious.

Angela Harlem said:
^ :up:

does anyone on this board specifically think there's nothing wrong with this whole disaster? the music aside, if people like it, they like it, i'm talking about the process. just curious.

Disaster? The process was brilliant and has brought the band back into the spotlight in a way they have not been since perhaps 1990. The band are doing a soldout theater tour with a few small arena dates in early 2006, something INXS with Hutchence could not do back in 1997.

I actually don't have the album yet, so I'll have to hold off on making a comment there.

STING2 said:

Disaster? The process was brilliant and has brought the band back into the spotlight in a way they have not been since perhaps 1990. The band are doing a soldout theater tour with a few small arena dates in early 2006, something INXS with Hutchence could not do back in 1997.

So you have entirely no problem with the fact a dead lead singer has been replaced in an Idolesque process simply because it has brought some measure of commercial success?

Axver said:

So you have entirely no problem with the fact a dead lead singer has been replaced in an Idolesque process simply because it has brought some measure of commercial success?

How the band INXS decides to find a new singer is up to them. As long as they pick the person they think is right for the band, then there is no problem. If things did not work out in the studio with JD, they could have shown him the door. The show brought the band back into the spotlight and has brought the band to a whole new generation of fans who did not know who INXS was before the show. The band does not think that is a bad thing, and neither do I. Other INXS fans I know feel the same way. Its 2005, and INXS has decided to continue on as a band with a new lead singer and record a new album and tour! Thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

The fact is, for many people, INXS going on as a band without Hutchence is simply unacceptable not matter how it is done.

Do you have some formula that a band must follow when replacing a particular member?

So, Sting, do you think it would be acceptable if the remaining members of U2 did their own version of "Rock Star" if - God forbid - something happened to Bono?

Michael Hutchence was such an extraordinary singer bow:
One of the greatest frontmans ever, along with Bono of course:

The reality show thing to pick a lead singer is kinda cringeworthy I agree. But I'm not a fan of reality shows in the first place! So I may have a bias there. Regarding the music, Hutchence's deep vocals were so amazing, I'd have to really at least listen to samples of this new guy singing to accept that they're still as good. :wink:

STING2 said:

I actually don't have the album yet, so I'll have to hold off on making a comment there.

No, STING. You're incorrect. Sorry mate. Very wrong. It was a disaster. Nothing brilliant about it. Music created under such pretence does not last. It shoots to stardom and then dies a horrificly spectacular death. I'm rather sure the Spice Girls sold out venues the size of Wembley back in the day. You live in some world where sales and charts are all that matters. So you'd be the kind who thinks that The Spice Girls, all teen chart music, Britney?, who else is there...I cant even think, all these throwaway pop artists are brilliant. You'd have to, to keep this line of thinking legit - because they sell really well too. When in actuality, it means fuck all in terms of quality. And mate, you're living in some parallel universe if you think the spotlight shining on INXS now is any reflection of some past fame. They've never been known like this.

every band sells out... i don't really care about that. i have no problem with u2 doing stuff for iPod, or the stones being sponsored by ameriquest... it's just a part of our world now... welcome to capitalism.

but what INXS did is a sell out of the absolute worst variety... not only selling out their australian heritage, but also selling out their late lead singer by replacing him with an american idol style reality show pandering to the 18-24 american audience... all in the name of the all mighty dollar. this was, after all, a competition produced by an american television station with american hosts and "judges," i.e. the once cool but now ever so lame dave navarro.

terrible... an absolute disaster.

Last edited:
Think of all The Doors records we could have had after 1970 if this miracle of TV technology existed then.

Morrison Shmorrison.

Chris Lapeck from Cleveland, OH had a great voice and would've been a very good replacement for Jim.

My mother-in-law asked my husband if I wanted the new album for Christmas. I said no, maybe I'll just download to my iPod. I'd rather have the greatest hits DVD video. I do agree that the band can get a new lead singer, but I don't agree with the way they did it. And I wasn't crazy about JD's attitude. Michael Hutchence probably had an ego at times, but this guy's is too much. He set out to win, but it was all about himself. When the band was formed in the '70's, they probably wanted to just play music & maybe become famous. It did make them a lot of money, but they did it on their own without a reality show.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm sorry... did they release an album of previously recorded material? because i knoooow that they wouldn't stoop so low as to replace their dead lead singer with a guy who won a reality show...
Oh snap! :lol:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the once cool but now ever so lame dave navarro.

no shit, what the fuck happened to Dave Navarro?

I saw him playing in a video for fucking Puff Daddy or something a few years back.

I guess once you jump the shark you might as well take a few victory laps.

Back
Top Bottom