INXS-Switch - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:38 AM
INXS-Switch

I just got this album today (my local Best Buy had it out for sale, but Amazon says it will be out Tuesday..maybe I beat the system!) So far, I am impressed with the first 3/4ths of it. The last few songs may be growers. I am, and will always be a fan of the Hutchence era. Without comparing Switch to that, I would have to say I am pretty impressed so far. "Devil's Party" is a classic INXS opener, "Afterglow", "Remember, Who's Your Man", "Never Let You Go", and "Hungry" are all standouts so far. JD Fortune will never sound like Hutchence, but he can hold his own for the most part. The age difference between him and the rest of the band may end up being an issue down the line, though. Not a bad effort....glad to have some new music from these guys, even if it is without the one and only (and sorely missed) Michael Hutchence.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:38 AM
I saw the video of the song Pretty Vegas, and really like the song. Is it on the album?

Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm sorry... did they release an album of previously recorded material? because i knoooow that they wouldn't stoop so low as to replace their dead lead singer with a guy who won a reality show...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer
I saw the video of the song Pretty Vegas, and really like the song. Is it on the album?

sure is!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 08:38 PM
it all new material with that shitty new singer ... GOD WHY HAVE INXS DONE THIS!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 01:38 AM
The age difference isn't that huge the new singer I think is in his midthirties.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 AM   #7
Acrobat

its not bad, i got it today, could be better, hopefully it grows on me...jd's not a bad singer, he's no hutch though
Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury
The age difference isn't that huge the new singer I think is in his midthirties.
I read a review that said JD Fortune was 31.
So, it's about 15-16 years on average.

So it's not real huge, but I think he looks young for 31, and well Tim at least looks every bit of his 48.

I saw the video, and I watched the show and I still think 'Pretty Vegas' is pedestrian at best. But considering Bon Jovi has decent hit with the 'worse than abominable, even for Bon Jovi'- 'Have a Nice Day' they may very well have a smash hit.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't think I could buy this album even if I wanted to. It's just not the same.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

bands have replaced lead singers who've died before... and i don't have a problem wtih that. just because the lead singer dies doesn't mean that the rest of the band can't continue to make a living.

ac/dc did it to great success after the death of bon scott.

mother love bone turned the death of andy wood into the temple of the dog project, which eventually of course lead to the forming of pearl jam.

it's been done... and i don't have a problem with it being done if it's done the right way and it's done with class.

a reality show to pick a replacement? sorry... gotta draw the line there.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Argee with Headache about needing the TV Show....in the bands defense, they have picked a couple of singers before this without a TV show....but haven't released a new record with a new singer (correct me if i'm wrong)
In the end it just turned into another American Idol show...

I Downloaded this today, and as I tend to do with Non U2 albums, I listen to only a few tracks, rather than the whole lot.
Having heard Pretty Vegas from Rockstar INXS, I do Like it, as well as Perfect Strangers. Must bring myself to listen to it in full.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:52 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Should've stuck with Jon Stevens.

"WHY HAVE INXS DONE THIS?" someone asks.

Cause they are sell outs.

That however, is not to suggest that they are a bad band. I love their music....and I also don't mind Pretty Vegas. High quality music from a high quality band.

I wish Aussie music coulrd return to the glory days of when the Oils and INXS were absolutely massive however.

Still I find the whole idea of using television to find a frontman somewhat cringeworthy.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm not even an INXS fan... i like some of their stuff... always respected Hutchence's talent and all... but i just find it revolting that they would replace their dead lead singer with an american idol like reality tv show.

those of you who actually don't have a problem with this... imagine if we were talking about u2 replacing bono here... i'm guessing you wouldn't be so eager to jump on board.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #14
Jesus Online

^

does anyone on this board specifically think there's nothing wrong with this whole disaster? the music aside, if people like it, they like it, i'm talking about the process. just curious.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
^

does anyone on this board specifically think there's nothing wrong with this whole disaster? the music aside, if people like it, they like it, i'm talking about the process. just curious.
Disaster? The process was brilliant and has brought the band back into the spotlight in a way they have not been since perhaps 1990. The band are doing a soldout theater tour with a few small arena dates in early 2006, something INXS with Hutchence could not do back in 1997.

I actually don't have the album yet, so I'll have to hold off on making a comment there.