INXS-Switch - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Disaster? The process was brilliant and has brought the band back into the spotlight in a way they have not been since perhaps 1990. The band are doing a soldout theater tour with a few small arena dates in early 2006, something INXS with Hutchence could not do back in 1997.
So you have entirely no problem with the fact a dead lead singer has been replaced in an Idolesque process simply because it has brought some measure of commercial success?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

So you have entirely no problem with the fact a dead lead singer has been replaced in an Idolesque process simply because it has brought some measure of commercial success?
How the band INXS decides to find a new singer is up to them. As long as they pick the person they think is right for the band, then there is no problem. If things did not work out in the studio with JD, they could have shown him the door. The show brought the band back into the spotlight and has brought the band to a whole new generation of fans who did not know who INXS was before the show. The band does not think that is a bad thing, and neither do I. Other INXS fans I know feel the same way. Its 2005, and INXS has decided to continue on as a band with a new lead singer and record a new album and tour! Thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

The fact is, for many people, INXS going on as a band without Hutchence is simply unacceptable not matter how it is done.

Do you have some formula that a band must follow when replacing a particular member?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:52 PM
So, Sting, do you think it would be acceptable if the remaining members of U2 did their own version of "Rock Star" if - God forbid - something happened to Bono?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Michael Hutchence was such an extraordinary singer bow:
One of the greatest frontmans ever, along with Bono of course:
Old 11-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:52 PM
The reality show thing to pick a lead singer is kinda cringeworthy I agree. But I'm not a fan of reality shows in the first place! So I may have a bias there. Regarding the music, Hutchence's deep vocals were so amazing, I'd have to really at least listen to samples of this new guy singing to accept that they're still as good.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Disaster? The process was brilliant and has brought the band back into the spotlight in a way they have not been since perhaps 1990. The band are doing a soldout theater tour with a few small arena dates in early 2006, something INXS with Hutchence could not do back in 1997.

I actually don't have the album yet, so I'll have to hold off on making a comment there.
No, STING. You're incorrect. Sorry mate. Very wrong. It was a disaster. Nothing brilliant about it. Music created under such pretence does not last. It shoots to stardom and then dies a horrificly spectacular death. I'm rather sure the Spice Girls sold out venues the size of Wembley back in the day. You live in some world where sales and charts are all that matters. So you'd be the kind who thinks that The Spice Girls, all teen chart music, Britney?, who else is there...I cant even think, all these throwaway pop artists are brilliant. You'd have to, to keep this line of thinking legit - because they sell really well too. When in actuality, it means fuck all in terms of quality. And mate, you're living in some parallel universe if you think the spotlight shining on INXS now is any reflection of some past fame. They've never been known like this.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

every band sells out... i don't really care about that. i have no problem with u2 doing stuff for iPod, or the stones being sponsored by ameriquest... it's just a part of our world now... welcome to capitalism.

but what INXS did is a sell out of the absolute worst variety... not only selling out their australian heritage, but also selling out their late lead singer by replacing him with an american idol style reality show pandering to the 18-24 american audience... all in the name of the all mighty dollar. this was, after all, a competition produced by an american television station with american hosts and "judges," i.e. the once cool but now ever so lame dave navarro.

terrible... an absolute disaster.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

There's a rumor Paul and Ringo are going to do an "Idol" type show to replace John and George.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
There's a rumor Paul and Ringo are going to do an "Idol" type show to replace John and George.
i heard it's going to be more of a survivor theme
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i heard it's going to be more of a survivor theme
you're thinking of the "Tennessee Three" replacing Johnny Cash.

It's gonna be great.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

ahhh... my bad
Old 11-30-2005, 11:24 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Think of all The Doors records we could have had after 1970 if this miracle of TV technology existed then.

Morrison Shmorrison.

Chris Lapeck from Cleveland, OH had a great voice and would've been a very good replacement for Jim.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #28
The Fly

My mother-in-law asked my husband if I wanted the new album for Christmas. I said no, maybe I'll just download to my iPod. I'd rather have the greatest hits DVD video. I do agree that the band can get a new lead singer, but I don't agree with the way they did it. And I wasn't crazy about JD's attitude. Michael Hutchence probably had an ego at times, but this guy's is too much. He set out to win, but it was all about himself. When the band was formed in the '70's, they probably wanted to just play music & maybe become famous. It did make them a lot of money, but they did it on their own without a reality show.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
i'm sorry... did they release an album of previously recorded material? because i knoooow that they wouldn't stoop so low as to replace their dead lead singer with a guy who won a reality show...
Oh snap!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
the once cool but now ever so lame dave navarro.

no shit, what the fuck happened to Dave Navarro?

I saw him playing in a video for fucking Puff Daddy or something a few years back.

I guess once you jump the shark you might as well take a few victory laps.