INXS Reality show on CBS! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:12 AM
A good way to kill the idea in it's tracks is just not to watch the show. If no one watches it will drop like a stone.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:03 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Exactly.

The only band with any sense in this kind of scenario is New Order. Ian Curtis could not be replaced so Joy Division is no longer.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Exactly.

The only band with any sense in this kind of scenario is New Order. Ian Curtis could not be replaced so Joy Division is no longer.
The 25th anniversary of his death was Wednesday.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
The 25th anniversary of his death was Wednesday.
yeah
Old 05-21-2005, 01:50 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Angela Harlem and others have pretty much said it all, but I think this is the most fucking disgusting thing.

I hope it sinks and the other INXS members never make another dime off those songs.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The horrible pity of this whole sorry mess was that PopMart in Sydney 1998 had a special tone because Bono remembered Michael (Sydney being more or less his home town and of course where he passed away).

There was bad weather hovering over Sydney Football Stadium and U2 played a bit of "Never Tear Us Apart" in the encore (thank you Axver's site for clearing up my confusion when they played it). As we were standing in the pouring rain the storm seemed to get worse and Bono asked the lights in the stadium to be turned off. We all stood in the dark and rain staring at the sky and the lightning that seemed to have come from nowhere. Now I don't believe much in "other worldly" things but that was so special and really sent shivers down the spine.

To think his band could come up with something so cheesy.... beggars belief really. (They really can't be short of a dollar)
Old 05-22-2005, 06:01 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:12 PM
It's an absolute disgrace to Australian music.

Possibly our best ever band is trying to replace the irreplacable. Pathetic.

As far as I'm concerned INXS are finished. Anything that is released by "INXS" from now on is not "INXS" at all in my book...

Stevens was a great stand-in and a marvellous frontman with Noiseworks, yet he was no Hutchy...

Hope the show is a massive FLOP and not a "New Sensation."
Old 05-23-2005, 04:48 AM   #38
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
The horrible pity of this whole sorry mess was that PopMart in Sydney 1998 had a special tone because Bono remembered Michael (Sydney being more or less his home town and of course where he passed away).

There was bad weather hovering over Sydney Football Stadium and U2 played a bit of "Never Tear Us Apart" in the encore (thank you Axver's site for clearing up my confusion when they played it). As we were standing in the pouring rain the storm seemed to get worse and Bono asked the lights in the stadium to be turned off. We all stood in the dark and rain staring at the sky and the lightning that seemed to have come from nowhere. Now I don't believe much in "other worldly" things but that was so special and really sent shivers down the spine.

To think his band could come up with something so cheesy.... beggars belief really. (They really can't be short of a dollar)
I remember that. It was creepy almost.
Music's loss is immense. There aren't enough words to describe how much I detest this whole concept. I'm partly inclined to hope Andrew Farriss speaks out. They were more than just friends. He was the backbone to this band. He gave so much, and he seems willing to let it become this.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Logically, I have no objections to this. These guys were put in a difficult situation by the lose of Hutcho. They still obviously want to make music and the whole band concept should hang solely on the identity of the high profile lead singers shoulders. Sometimes I wonder in these situations wether there would be the same outrage if the merely lost a drummer and replaced it. Midnight Oil switched bassists at the peak of there success (albiet in totally different circumstances), yet it didnt change any perceptions of there music. Extending that philosophy on, there should be no problems in allowing bands to change members and line ups without effecting the integrity of the band (regardless of profile and circumstance) so long as the bands intentions and ambitions are the same as what they were before (which I believe they are as they have shown every intention of playing music for music sake post Hutcho). Thats logical.

However, beside love, musical is possibly the most illogical thing on the face of the planet. Music, and the bands that create them in many ways form large parts of who we are. INXS it appears from reading this thread were one of those bands. And while they didn't do it to this 18 year old New Zealander, doesnt mean it didnt do it to others.

If for example my favourite band Crowded House were to endevour to find a replacement drummer now for Paul Hester - that would kill me. It would be so off for me. It would burn me. This is even though Paul walked out on the band in 1994 and they replaced him then. I had no problems then. Yet now it would totally kill me.

So I can totally see where you guys are coming from. I will still watch though.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #40
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 AM
It's just wrong

:refusetowatchsmilie:
Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
Logically, I have no objections to this. These guys were put in a difficult situation by the lose of Hutcho. They still obviously want to make music and the whole band concept should hang solely on the identity of the high profile lead singers shoulders. Sometimes I wonder in these situations wether there would be the same outrage if the merely lost a drummer and replaced it. Midnight Oil switched bassists at the peak of there success (albiet in totally different circumstances), yet it didnt change any perceptions of there music. Extending that philosophy on, there should be no problems in allowing bands to change members and line ups without effecting the integrity of the band (regardless of profile and circumstance) so long as the bands intentions and ambitions are the same as what they were before (which I believe they are as they have shown every intention of playing music for music sake post Hutcho). Thats logical.

However, beside love, musical is possibly the most illogical thing on the face of the planet. Music, and the bands that create them in many ways form large parts of who we are. INXS it appears from reading this thread were one of those bands. And while they didn't do it to this 18 year old New Zealander, doesnt mean it didnt do it to others.

If for example my favourite band Crowded House were to endevour to find a replacement drummer now for Paul Hester - that would kill me. It would be so off for me. It would burn me. This is even though Paul walked out on the band in 1994 and they replaced him then. I had no problems then. Yet now it would totally kill me.

So I can totally see where you guys are coming from. I will still watch though.
Although I agree with you about replacing a band member in general (and can't help but laugh about your drummer analogy as my favorite band is now on it's fourth drummer ), I think what makes it so disgusting to most is how INXS are choosing to go about replacing Hutchence, especially in light of how he "left" the band. Perhaps if he'd gotten in a snit and walked out on them people would react differently, but this seems as if they are trampling the memory of someone who died tragically.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:57 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well said Indra. I don't have any objections to INXS finding another singer and performing and recording again, I object to them doing it on a reality show, Aussie Idol style. What are they gonna do? Have a Guy Sebastian-type sing for them?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Although I agree with you about replacing a band member in general (and can't help but laugh about your drummer analogy as my favorite band is now on it's fourth drummer ), I think what makes it so disgusting to most is how INXS are choosing to go about replacing Hutchence, especially in light of how he "left" the band. Perhaps if he'd gotten in a snit and walked out on them people would react differently, but this seems as if they are trampling the memory of someone who died tragically.
My fave band (or one of) had 4 drummers too! Must be a lucky number!

Thats what I was trying to draw out with my analogy. Paulo (the drummer I was refering too) commited suicide on Easter Weekend. Prior to that I would've been more than open to him being replaced as drummer to record again (again even though he had left). It just isnt right.

So I hear how people are saying INXS isnt INXS without Hutcho. This is contradictory however to how I logically think which is If a band member chooses to leave a band it should not hamstring the others from continuuing on.

(Point of clarification: when we are talking about the "circumstances of his departure" is this suicide... or the "other one"?)
Old 05-24-2005, 05:12 AM   #44
Jesus Online

My mum lent me a book a while ago, called Coroner. It was written (with help) by Derek Hand, the NSW state coroner at the time of Michael's death. I'll painstakingly type out the exact excerpt in which he debunks all this foul play and murder conspiracy garbage if anyone is interested. I'd not truly bnelieved anyone thought this until a year or so ago in another thread on this topic, someone idiot in here I cant recall who it was, but if they wish to step up I'll call them such again ) replied vehemently and so blatantly ignorantly that it had to be murder or the result of some autoerotic suicide. That's great, if the media has the power and knowledge to rule on such bullshit. But as they dont, we can hopefully not entertain those ideas.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:59 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
My mum lent me a book a while ago, called Coroner. It was written (with help) by Derek Hand, the NSW state coroner at the time of Michael's death. I'll painstakingly type out the exact excerpt in which he debunks all this foul play and murder conspiracy garbage if anyone is interested. I'd not truly bnelieved anyone thought this until a year or so ago in another thread on this topic, someone idiot in here I cant recall who it was, but if they wish to step up I'll call them such again ) replied vehemently and so blatantly ignorantly that it had to be murder or the result of some autoerotic suicide. That's great, if the media has the power and knowledge to rule on such bullshit. But as they dont, we can hopefully not entertain those ideas.
Autoerotic suicide is the other common one. Murder for me is a ridiculous proposition in that case.

This thread has turned me against the show now... I'll still watch but.

So conflicted.