INXS comment on U2 Video SIAMYCGOO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
This was taken from an article in the L.A. Times newspaper today (excerpt).

There's comfort, too, talking about the death of Hutchence, which inspired many tawdry rumors but was eventually ruled death by suicide under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Tim Farriss and bassist Garry Beers, for instance, could have dodged a question about the band's reaction to "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," the plaintive U2 song that pays tribute to Hutchence. Instead both said they found the music video and themes of the song a bit off-putting.

"I'm not really sure what that was all about and in some ways I think it's better to let things go, right?" Tim says. "In the video, Bono even looked like Michael. I don't know what that was all about." The conversation's lingering impression: Hutchence is not going away but the band wants to move on. And now young Fortune brings the band both a measure of novelty and a reprieve from the past.

~~~~~Full article can be found here:
http://www.calendarlive.com/music/pop/cl-et-inxs27jan27,0,7495125.story?coll=cl-home-top-blurb-right

if the link doesn't work, go to calendarlive.com and register. The article is in the L.A. Times on 1/27/06 titled:
INXS' turn of good fortune
It's a revived band with singer J.D. Fortune, who's dealing with reality after winning the gig.
by Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer

I actually didn't read the whole thing. My husband mentioned something about the U2 part, so I went straight to it :reject:

i've said it a million times, the only good part of INXS has been dead for over 8 years now.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Where do they have room to talk? They tarnished his name with a reality show...

To say Michael H. could be replaced by someone on a reality is a major slap in the face to a once great front man. At least U2 paid tribute to Hutch during Popmart and during the Elevation tour by dedicating a song or 2 to him.

Lila64 said:
"I'm not really sure what that was all about and in some ways I think it's better to let things go, right?" Tim says. "In the video, Bono even looked like Michael. I don't know what that was all about."

Bizzarro. :| Bono the stocky Irishman doesn't resemble the wiry Hutchence at all. Does Tim imagine that U2 is trying to earn some fans or respect or fame by having Bono impersonate Michael?

Bizzaro.

mikal said:
i've said it a million times, the only good part of INXS has been dead for over 8 years now.

:yes:

mike10.jpg

:heart: :heart:

the Farris have been known for saying a lot of stupidity, especially after Hutch's dead;
but i dont really think Hutchence was the only good thing on INXS because the Farris are really amazing musicians.
But Hutchence was something special:drool:
One of the greatest frotmen ever

This is yet another instance of "someone in the music industry dares to say a little about something U2 has done that is not entirely positive and flattering (although not degrading either) and we have an army of U2 fans ready to butcher him".

:rolleyes:

bono doesn't look a bit like hutch; j.d. does :|

and this is coming from an inxs fan (well, a fan of the music they made with hutch) and someone who doesn't care if people say negative things about bono or U2 :wave:

The lyrics to Stuck are a bit too self-help bookish for my taste, but INXS replacing Michael via a cheesy reality show is 1,000,000 times worse.

And I don't even know what Tim Farriss is talking about when he says Bono looks like Michael in the Stuck video. :huh:

Well, maybe Tim Farriss and Garry Beers see things in Bono's performance in the video that we just cannot see because we weren't as close to Hutch as they were.

U2Man said:
Well, maybe Tim Farriss and Garry Beers see things in Bono's performance in the video that we just cannot see because we weren't as close to Hutch as they were.

Good point....I can't stand the idea of J.D. singing Hutch's songs.
And, U2 Man, I love your Bernese!!!

Lila64 said:

"I'm not really sure what that was all about and in some ways I think it's better to let things go, right?" Tim says.

I find this quote from Tim Farriss very ironic, since it has been documented, that of all the remaining members of INXS, Tim is the one who has had the hardest time letting Michael's death go.

Apparently, Tim and Michael got in a huge fight the day before Michael was found dead and some of Tim's last words to Michael were to the effect that Michael was f#@*ng up his life. Then Michael kills himself the next day, and according to INXS's authorized biography, Tim still beats himself up to this day about the things he said and Michael's death in general.

Furthermore, how we as individuals deal with the death of someone we love is really nobody else's business to comment on. If a sad, hurting soul wants to write a song about it, another shouldn't be allowed to judge how the songwriter chooses to express his grief. SIAMYCGOO is not dedicated to Michael Hutchene on All That You Can't Leave Behind and the video is not dedicated to him. So it doesn't appear af if U2 were trying to garner attention or capitalize on the medial circus of Michael's death. Which leads me to conclude that the song was written solely as an outlet for the band's grief.

And no one had to a right to judge how someone chooses to grieve.

FitzChivalry said:
:yes: exactly. just because they quickly decided he could be replaced by one singer after another and then ultimately replaced via a reality show doesn't mean bono's not entitled to write a song about a conversation he wishes he'd had with hutch. (iirc, he said that's what stuck's about?)

Re: Re: INXS comment on U2 Video SIAMYCGOO

FitzChivalry said:

Furthermore, how we as individuals deal with the death of someone we love is really nobody else's business to comment on.

That should also apply to the members of INXS, but that doesn't stop many people from judging and commenting on it. Too bad.

And at least 2 of the songs on the new INXS Album are about Micheal Hutchence(God's Top Ten and Afterglow)... so I don't know what he is talking about.

It hurts me to see a band who despite putting themselves on a reality show to find a new singer, had some good songs. I understand why they did the show. If your lead singer killed himself and you hadn't found anyone else but you still wanted to play music... I donno... I guess I can't hate them too much.

It bothers me because despite all the hatred towards them for trying to 'replace' Hutchence, I secretly rooted for this great band who wanted to just keep playing shows and writing music, and when they got an amazing singer like Fortune(say what you want, but the guy can sing), and I actually REALLY like 6 of the 12 songs(the others I am not too into... it isnt a bad CD though)... it bothers me becuase these guys have no right to be insulting the B-Man or U2 for paying tribute and singing about their friend. They should be honoured that anyone would do something like that for an amazing front man. It is just respect.

Damn you... I hope any of what I said makes sense.

Judging by the ratings, Rock Star: INXS was hardly a "new sensation".......so yeah, the band really has nothing to say (same for Queen, The Doors, whoever else is touring without the original frontman).

At the very least, Rock Star: INXS was produced by Mark Burnett, the man behind the highest quality reality shows ('Survivor', 'Apprentice', 'Eco Challenge'). So despite sort of stomping on their former frontman's grave, at least it was a well done show.

INXS have lost the plot. I mean change the name at least..No Hutchence = No Inxs

When I saw the INXS reality tv show while flipping channels I looked like this: :no:

SIAMYCGOO was an outlet for U2 after Hutchence's passing, it's cruel to say that "it's better to let things go." I don't see what's so horrible about U2 writing a song about their grief. It's documented forever, sure, but that doesn't mean they're unwilling to move on.

indra said:
That should also apply to the members of INXS, but that doesn't stop many people from judging and commenting on it. Too bad.
it's just rather hypocritical of them to say bono should get over it and yet there are songs on their new album about hutch as well. what, it's different because they knew the man for 20 years? give me a break. (that's directed at him, not you :))

Back
Top Bottom