INXS comment on U2 Video SIAMYCGOO - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 05:16 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Do what Joy Division did. Change your style of music and become a new band.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisedge

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and MANY other bands have had personel changes and still kept their names. Andrew Farris wrote all the songs back in the day, and he still writes them today.

There’s a difference between a contrived come back through mass marketing, and dealing with everyday adversity, like the other bands you mention. For example, I can’t imagine Pink Floyd or the Rolling Stones doing this in the heights of their creativity. Selecting a new member on television and letting a panel of pop culture judges decide the fate of your band is both a cheap stunt and a money grab. It’s a method that’s not exactly inspiring or organic in any way. In fact, it’s got disposable written all over it.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:

Andrew Farris wrote all the songs back in the day, and he still writes them today.

Hate to be the bearer of accurate news, but you better check your writing credits. Andrew Farriss CO-WROTE almost ALL of the INXS songs back in the day.

Say what? Who did he co-write them with?

Hmmmm, maybe like the most focal member of the entire band, MICHAEL HUTCHENCE.

I'm not downplaying Andrew's part in the songs, but it was pretty much equal with Michael's. Jon and Michael wrote INXS songs together as well, and Michael wrote some on his own.

So Andrew doesn't deserve ALL of the credit for INXS' awesome catelogue.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 AM
I've heard the next reality show is called "Jeff Buckly", where the remaining member of Jeff Buckly's band, audition singers, to be the next Jeff Buckly.

Rumors also swirl about a Jimi Hendrix Experience show.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ozeeko
What if Mick Jagger commited suicide. What if Robert Plant commited suicide. What if BONO committed suicide. Imagine a reality TV show about trying to replace that singer. Remember: the old singer COMMITTED SUICIDE. Not only is it in bad taste, it's just morally wrong. Have fucking respect for the dead. And to me seems really twisted for a reality tv show. Replacing a singer that COMMITED SUICIDE. Messed up.
Well, you can also consider that by committing suicide that member chose to leave the band (and everything else). He made his choice, now the rest of the band gets to decide how they will continue with the band he chose to leave. Although more tragic than many other ways of leaving a group, the decision to leave was still his, not theirs, so he gave up his right to further influence the band when he chose to die.

If you don't like how the current members are managing their band or don't like the way it sounds now, don't listen to it. INXS was always a commercial band. This is just another way of exploiting their music/name. No real difference from any other band capitalising on their fame to make more money.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #51
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Well, you can also consider that by committing suicide that member chose to leave the band (and everything else). He made his choice, now the rest of the band gets to decide how they will continue with the band he chose to leave. Although more tragic than many other ways of leaving a group, the decision to leave was still his, not theirs, so he gave up his right to further influence the band when he chose to die.

If you don't like how the current members are managing their band or don't like the way it sounds now, don't listen to it. INXS was always a commercial band. This is just another way of exploiting their music/name. No real difference from any other band capitalising on their fame to make more money.

Bingo! I watched and enjoyed Rockstar INXS. I like their new CD. I went and saw them in concert. Judging by scalper prices LOTS of other people wanted to see them as well. Tickets in Los Angeles were up to $700+ each for orch and pit seats. I also saw them back in the day. BOTH shows were enjoyable by me.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Bingo! I watched and enjoyed Rockstar INXS. I like their new CD. I went and saw them in concert. Judging by scalper prices LOTS of other people wanted to see them as well. Tickets in Los Angeles were up to $700+ each for orch and pit seats. I also saw them back in the day. BOTH shows were enjoyable by me.
To each their own...I just see it as being symbolic of a disposable culture. But maybe I'm just being anal. If I'm not careful, my family may start a reality show to replace me.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
I've heard the next reality show is called "Jeff Buckly", where the remaining member of Jeff Buckly's band, audition singers, to be the next Jeff Buckly.

Rumors also swirl about a Jimi Hendrix Experience show.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #54
Refugee

just go with your gut. To me it seems wrong that there's a TV show out there with the sole intention of replacing a dead person. And I wonder if half the people who watched it even know how the lead singer died or if he's dead at all. They might as well go piss on Michael Hutchence's grave.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #55
Refugee

"well if you don't like it" - obviously I don't like it so why would I waste my time watching the show or listening to the new band. Then again, I was a big fan of them in their heyday, and I'm personally offended by how they've steered their career post-Hutchence. And who knows what was going through Michael's mind when he killed himself. It seems rather insensitive to think he selfishly did it as a way out of INXS. However it would've happened...they fired him or he killed himself...either way I think it's wrong to do that show.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

And we will probably never know if he really did commit suicide or if it was an accident.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #57
Refugee

yea it's possible it was an accident. Either way, the guys no longer with us so we should just respect him and INXS should've respected him by bowing out gracefully, rather than turning a tragedy into a freak show all in the name of publicity and money.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Well, if ChrisEdge enjoyed their performance and thought they were good, then they did something good to him, at least, that particular evening. If they are capable of making at least one person happy, then your claim that they are no good at all, is invalid. Proof or not.
worst attempt at making a point ever.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ozeeko
yea it's possible it was an accident. Either way, the guys no longer with us so we should just respect him and INXS should've respected him by bowing out gracefully, rather than turning a tragedy into a freak show all in the name of publicity and money.
if they had searched for a new singer in a normal fashion without the 'reality show' and stuff, then perhaps it would have been better; Not like they were in it for the money and easy publicity.
But if I had a free ticket to the show, I probably would have checked it out, but I didnt so,... life goes on...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I would find it much more morally distasteful had they done this 6 months after Michael's death, but they waited YEARS. They have a right to move on, and to continue their careers. As for the agreement or disagreement with recruiting a new member on a reality show - it's a judgment call. While I didn't watch it myself, I think it was a brilliant way to hype their choosing a new vocalist.