INXS- a New Chapter..closing Michael's book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
From the Daily Examiner - Thursday, October 17, 2002.

"The Sound of INXS" by Jeni Faulkner

Tim Farris is 45 years old and going on 18. Or that's how the INXS guitarist sees himself.
Living in Sydney and reminiscing over the good times experienced with INXS, he said it had been a long and extended 25 year history.
"When I look back at it - we did start young. I will never forget our first gig." Tim said.
"It was August 16, 1977, and my 20th birthday. It was also the day that Elvis Presley died."
After their performance as the "Farriss Brothers" in the late 70's, INXS quickly gained national and international acclaim.
Much of this was through their raw new sound but many would argue that the mystic stage presence of frontman Michael Hutchence was the recipe to success.
The death of Michael in November 1997, caused much angst amonst the fans and the members of INXS, but Tim said the past two years have seen them evolve together since the inclusion of Jon Stevens on vocals.
"At first performing with Jon was only a temporary thing but then it worked," he said.
" In the past twelve months things have really started happening for us but it is still hard to perform on stage without Michael.
Michael wrote a lot of the music we perform and we are looking forward to moving onto the next chapter by closing his book and singing new material. INXS now has to evoke new songs and a new happening."
Looking over the many performance dates of the band,Tim said it was no surprise that they had built up a strong fan base.
The countries Argentina, Amercia, Southg Africa and Mexico roll off his tongue as many years of sweaty live performances are remembered and relived.
"It was only around 12 years ago that Australia started to become recognised as a place for overseas musicians to visit"
"When I look back I think we were the first imternational band to visit a lot of places including Mexico giving us support and a face in the international music scene."
Tim said since the death of Michael the band's music was becoming timeless.
" INXS appeal to a broad range of communities- here and internationally. From this we found our secret of success"
INXS will play this Sunday to farewell the Wallabies.
The night is also a benefit for the Starlight Foundation and the Mid North Coast Rugby Union Association.

I don't know how this makes me feel. I didn't know what icon to use, a smile, some tears, i feel both. I chose Bono.

why why why delilah...well i thought it was interesting

I don't believe it!!!
everytime
EVERY time
I have somewhere specail to go, something like this happens. I camr that close to missing seeing Popmart last time U2 came here. I was so ill in the week before it was on I was trying to give my ticket away. My friends insisted I go and drove me up there. What a night.
SO, in keeping with tradition, I got a paralysis tick in THE worst place for me, a couple of days ago, right at the top of my spine. They seem to like the hair line..BASTARDS!!! they sting when they bite, BASTARDS!!! and now the glands on one side of my neck are swelling......cease and desist, PLEASE!!
I don't fecking believe it. I'm going to see INXS and Jon Steven's arms tonight and I may look like Herman Munster.:eyebrow: Jeepers!!

It's too hot for polo necks, I'm not a scarf person...I lost my favourite necklace this morning in tragic circumstances..It wasn't that big anyway...) ohh ideas?I was going to wear my hair up too, going for the Peg Bundy look:eyebrow: :lol: that may be just as well.
So it shall have to be Aussie Ausborn...I wish I had a Wallabies rugby jumper, they have collars..IDEA!!!!

anyway...ticks...who invented them?

It is the Australian National Day of Mourning today. For the victims in Bali. I had mixed feelings about going to a concert on such a day. But the fact it is INXS, the fact that it is the Wallabies.
There will be a red moon rising over the outdoor concert. It has been like that lately because of the smoke from the bush fires. The night will be powerful I think. A lot of emotion. It will be good to be there , i actually feel quite privileged. I know I and a lot of people shall use it to outpour our feelings and renew the hope.
I have a feeling I will be different tomorrow. It is going to be big.
For any of you that are
INXS

I wish you were by my side.........

I won't bore you with the details...the moon was gold not red.

we are so lucky, so very very lucky, front row seats, best seats in the house. They were brilliant imho.
They accompanied the fireworks display with Freddie and Queen.I vow from this day forth NEVER to whistle loudly at concerts again..EVER!!!INXS and Queen.

"hands up who's single? hands up who's married? hands up who's married...and wishes they weren't?"
Jon Stevens 20th October, 2002.Coffs Harbour

Last edited:
I feel bad. Came here on a post concery high, talking about mild mayhem.

I hadn't listened to the radio today, I've only just seen the early evening TV news. I didn't know what happened at Monash Uni in Melbourne today, until just now That is a terrible thing, I'm so sorry.

Amanda's cube thread made me think of ES, so I wanted to add this

I arrived at the rendezvous point with my four friends who were attending the INXS show with me. We decided we'd share a whiskey and say cheers before we headed off and as we did, "Electrical Storm " came on the local radio.
Of course the girls got the rave "the mermaid ,the ocean....the bath tub" . I thought that was great timing and was a good omen for the night.
We stayed at that same house that night, I drove my other friend home in th emorning( see emu story:eyebrow: :yes: ) and then remembered I owed some $$ to my friend with the house and the whiskey and the radio . As I was saying my farewell to her...again..."electrical storm" came on the local radio.
Double great timing.
I am going to listen to it soon...maybe we'll get a storm and some rain to wash it all away. I think the song and the video are quite a masterpiece. i have only watched it about 3 times. I might go do that again to.
I was going to mention another Aussie thing, the Melbourne Cup, a horse race I can't but help enjoy.And the lead up carnival, the CaulfieldCup and the Cox Plate..interesting field.
Btu now I'm thinking of the fire fighters, it's turning in to a hell day. i saw lots of fire trucks and crews in town yesterday, they work so hard and it so hot and windy out there today. Teh conditions for them must be horrendous. I am not physicaly able to be on the trucks because of my asthma attacks, but I have done basic training, it's heavy work, the back packs weigh heaps when they are full and the hoses are heavy when they are wet

hey huey...send her down

" In the past twelve months things have really started happening for us but it is still hard to perform on stage without Michael.
Michael wrote a lot of the music we perform and we are looking forward to moving onto the next chapter by closing his book and singing new material."

------

It had to happen eventually I guess... :(

Best of luck to them.

I saw them with Jon Stevens this summer. He has a lot of potential..

I just saw this thread.......... how was the concert cass? please share! :D

A picture is worth a 1000 words. so here are 2003 for starters...

potential

Attachments

• inxs john.jpg
    inxs john.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 20
even more potential...that plus Queen & Puccini & ACDC& friends.Symbols not words

:happy: :laugh: :dance: :hug: :dance: :combust: :bow: :heart:

Attachments

• inxs1.jpg
    inxs1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 23
so much for letting my pictures doing the talking

I would like to point out the man's name is
JON
Stevens. My hub scanned the photos at work yesterday. He is not up on these things.Jon Jon.
I have liked the man since he was in Noiseworks. They call themselves INXS with Jon Stevens, not INXS, I just shortened it to that.

CASS!!!! I had to drag this thread up again from page 2, as last night, I went to the Farmhand concert and I thought of you!

I have no real point to replying here, just a bunch of thoughts, so apologies if anyone has wasted time opening this!

Did anyone see the Farmhand concert on telly last night? I think it was channel 9 showing it, Ray Martin was hosting, so I assume it was them.

My only drawback re: last night was being pregnant, I would have gotten much more out of it if it wasn't so....not that I am begrudging anything here! Jimmy Barnes was incredible. I have only seen him once before and that was thankfully in an outdoor venue so the noise had somewhere to escape to hehehe. I also CANNOT STAND Khe san! BUT how bloody good was it last night live???? It was awesome! He sure as hell knows how to perform! Same with Daryl Braithwaite. I have always thought he was brilliant :D

But anyways...INXS. I almost had a religious experience last night. I am so unbelievably happy to be eating my words and admitting I was wrong. When Mick died, I was devastated like so many INXS fans. Jon Stevens joined them and I was biased in my disappointment. I did not want him taking over, I didn't think they could ever go on without Michael. I purposely ignored all news of what they were up to and never wanted to hear Jon Stevens sing with them. I was squirming around in my seat waiting anxiously for them to come on, as I decided before I left I was being stupid and realised I desparately wanted to hear what they sounded like. Finally they walked on. New Sensation started up and I could not believe what I saw and heard. It was still INXS. Michael is gone, but Jon Stevens was just simply nothing short of remarkable in his new role as frontman. Not once in all 4 songs did it seem as though he was trying to fill Mick's shoes, he never 'tried' at all. He just sang and created this wonderful energy. It took me half of New Sensation to get my bearings back. A few times I closed my eyes and was struck by how you could almost pretend Michael was back and it was him up there and not Jon Stevens. Jon Stevens has re-created INXS seamlessly and while he will never be an original, he has so clearly brought INXS back. Besides which, you dont need to look very far across the stage to see Kirk Pengilly, the Farrisses and Garry Gary Beers playing it all just like it used to be.

I could ramble on for hours about how happy I am, but I wont! I am just so damn pleased they are still so good.

Also, on another positive note, over 12.5 million was raised to help the farmers which is absolutely incredible!

:combust:

First and foremost, I think it is wonderful you had such a time and can see Jon has no intention of trying to take over Michael's ...(I'm lost for the word...rightful place,craft, magic...... they must feel his loss far far more than anyone possibly could...oh god, now I'm crying..again)
He is talented, they have a whole career of great songs that deserve to be played...they are INXS!!!

But honey, your need to apologise for anyone "wasting time" on this thread....now as Freddie would say "that speaks books to me" and it's another fucking sad story.

Where is the love?

I have quite strong opinions about farmhand and the banks..
I made a new joke up.....it's heavy

Farmer : Which bank?
Farmer's young son: Daddy, what's a bank?

I heard one of the rural people be asked.."what is you need out here? what would help?"
The man replied: "we would like to buy our youth centre, the building is being sold and we want to keep it open, the kids need it. And we would like someone to help us understand and fill out all the forms the government are sending to us now, they are complicated."

What did they get....a toyota ute? they already have plenty of them....except they are really owned by the banks who have recently packed up and left town. Ahhh well the whole community can pile into the one new ute...
Sorry, but the roots of this drought and the situation farmers are finding themselves in, goes back a lot further than this current variation in weather.
I just am so sad, to see our planet so stressed and people still ignoring the evidence, Water is the key to the future I'm sure.
I'm going to dance in the rain and then work at the high school...I look forward to seeing the kids.

A New Sensation.

and please Angela, how do you not make things personal around this place?...i loved your review, I'm not having a go at you in any way shape or form.....I am just pissed off and hurt by the greedy people and the cruel people at the moment.

:hug: cass, its odd but good how any INXS comment I hear lately makes me think of you!

I agree comepletely with what you say about some towns being given these utes and 4WD's. My sister and I just kinda looked at each other and thought, its a kind gesture....but these people need water, feed, money to plant their next crops! Not a communal vehicle that soon none of them will be able to afford to fill with petrol! I didn't want to mention that incase it was taken the wrong way. I'm happy that there are still such kind acts of generosity, but you are so right, it will take more than just surving this drought even to get things back on track. The problem is huge. I have huge fears for this summer, if we dont get rain soon and the fires come back anywhere near as bad as last year...My measly donation seems so small.

We're on voluntary watwer restrictions soon, and when the reserves get to 55% it changes to compulsory restrictions. It will do us good, we waste too much in Sydney. I just hope that something gives soon and the farmers get what they need.

Back
Top Bottom