Inxs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I :heart: INXS! It's not the same without Michael Hutchence though. :( Hutch was one of my first rockstar crushes...before I even knew who Bono was! :D I love their music...I can't think of any song of theirs that I don't like (though I confess, I have not heard all of them). I love "The Stairs"...that's one of my faves.

i loved inxs for years but i was devastated as a fan by his suicide.
I have to admit, i still don't listen to their music too much anymore.

it's such a waste.

bummer.

the water feels warm......

I made a freind about 5 years ago who loves INXS and loved Michael Hutchence about as much as I love U2 and Bono.

She went along twice last year to see INXS in concert with Jon Stevens singing. She knows every nuance of Michael's performance and she felt Jon Stevens is doing an admirable job filling Michael's fabulous shoes. btw it is because of those fabulous shoes, and hearing stories from people who were at the Ritz Carlton the next day...we don't think it was suicide. I know that is what the coroner's report said and what his family wanted us to think.......I shall never forget his funeral, it was televised here in Australia...his coffin covered in irises and one lonely tiger lily. At the alter of the church was this huge white flower wreath. It was from Bono and Ali, a claddagh made from white flowers....from one Mick from 2 Micks...sorry guys,I have told these stories before, but he is very missed .....still.
I met him once briefly, with his mum,when they came into the furnishings store where I worked. Beautiful shy boy, a mass of curls.
One more story....I participated in an INXS web chat with Tim Farris. It was just after their comeback concert with terence trent D'asrby. I asked was there any truth toi the rumour they considered Bono as a singer. His concise and I am sure firmly tongue in cheek answer..."who's Bono?' I said ":)' he said ":)" back...a joke!!!
There is a great doco called "chinese whispers" that Michael Hutchence made. I have most of their video clips on tape and every now and then we have a mini INXS festival. Great body of work imho.

Attachments

• mh4.jpg
    mh4.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 35
Mona, um..INXS are not and were never a pop band.
Tell that to the thousands of Aussie fans who rocked hard to them through the 80's and 90's in pubs across Australia. Some of their later songs may have had pop elements, but they were no more pop than u2 are.

I was a huge INXS fan from the time KICK came out and still love them now. Yes, since losing Michael, they aren't the same and I think its good that they've tried to go on without him for their own sakes, but maybe its time they started writing new music for a new band.

Michael was how all rock stars should be. I think he played the role more rockstar than Bono at times. I saw them live only once sadly. But they were brilliant and I'm so happy I got the opportunity to do so.

By My SIde, Hear That Sound, Mystify, Not Enough Time, Guns in the Sky, Disappear, original Sin, The Gift, Listen Like Thieves, What You Need, NEver Tear Us Apart, The Swing, New Sensation..argh too many great great songs!

When Michael died I sent the band a card of sympathy and thanks. A couple of months later, to my surprise, I received a thankyou card handwritten "To Amanda, thank you for your kind words" with a special thank you message and then signed By Andrew Farris. It also included an actual photo of the band. That was pretty special. :heart:

Cowgirl said:

When Michael died I sent the band a card of sympathy and thanks. A couple of months later, to my surprise, I received a thankyou card handwritten "To Amanda, thank you for your kind words" with a special thank you message and then signed By Andrew Farris. It also included an actual photo of the band. That was pretty special. :heart:

That's really sweet...the fact that they replied and the fact that you did that. :heart:

Thinking about INXS hurts my heart. It's all well and good for the band to continue on without Michael, but I personally think they should have changed their band's name. Michael Hutchence was the focal point of the group, and without him...I don't know...it just seems inappropriate to me to go on with the same name.

I interviewed Michael Hutchence about 18 years ago up at Atlantic Records. He and Tim Farris were doing interviews for their latest album. Michael was one of the most physically beautiful men I have ever seen in my life; he was very sweet and somewhat shy. For years, I've been haunted by the fact that I was in the same room as him, just him and I, and I didn't turn on the charm and start gently flirting or something. As a professional, I behaved myself. But as a woman...I regret that I didn't try to flirt or something, especially since I didn't stay in the music-writing business for much longer.

Damn. Damn. DAMN!!!:banghead:

I sent a condolence note via the INXS web site when Michael died, telling them how nice he was when I interviewed him and how sorry I was that he was gone. I received a nice e-note back.

I understand there is going to be a greatest hits compilation coming out this fall. I'd still like to get the boxed set that was released last year, one of these days.

Diane L said:
I interviewed Michael Hutchence about 18 years ago up at Atlantic Records. He and Tim Farris were doing interviews for their latest album. Michael was one of the most physically beautiful men I have ever seen in my life; he was very sweet and somewhat shy. For years, I've been haunted by the fact that I was in the same room as him, just him and I, and I didn't turn on the charm and start gently flirting or something. As a professional, I behaved myself. But as a woman...I regret that I didn't try to flirt or something, especially since I didn't stay in the music-writing business for much longer.

Damn. Damn. DAMN!!!:banghead:

You interviewed Michael?!? Oh my socks! You are so lucky! Actually I think you were right not to flirt with him, even though I can certainly understand your regretting it. I'm a newspaper reporter and I know how important it is to behave professionally when interviewing people. But just think, you got to interview that sexy guy! What a memory. And I know what you mean about your heart hurting after learning the news of his death. I felt just awful when I heard about it. :sad:

I have been a fan of INXS for several years, and I was just devastated by Michael Hutchence's death. It is really hard to hear the songs now since then. It brings tears to my eyes everytime "Never Tear Us Apart" or "Mystify" comes onto the radio.

Nice lil story about Tiger Lily....
I just watched an interview with Bob Geldof on our 60 Mins here in Australia.
Bob talked a lot about this break up with Paula, about Michael and about being 'Dad' to Tiger Lily. He said she does now call him Dad.
They were in a supermarket and one of Bob's songs came over the speakers followed straight after by one of Michael's which gave the 5 year old a shock.
She turned to Bob and said after the songs played,
" Thats you Dad"
"Yeah it is" Bob replied
then Michael's song came on and she ssaid
"and thats my real Dad"
"Yeah it is" said Bob
5 year old Tiger Lily then replied after hearing them both,
"My real Dad's a better singer than you." :)

Bob laughed aloud as he retold the story. What a cute lil angel she is. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone! :D

I'm back! I never realised how much some of you really liked INXS! I love them! My fave songs have to be Never Tear Us Apart, Taste It, Original Sin... I just love 'em!

Thanks also for the kind stories! I love hearing fans encounters! I'd really like to meet the band!

I just can't wait for the two INXS concerts I'm going to in December, especially since its right near my 18th birthday. It'll just be a great experience! I cant wait to see what Jon Stevens is like. :D

Cowgirl said:

Thats really sweet that you were acknowledged. That's something I'd treasure forever. :heart:

Diane L said:

I sent a condolence note via the INXS web site when Michael died, telling them how nice he was when I interviewed him and how sorry I was that he was gone. I received a nice e-note back.

I understand there is going to be a greatest hits compilation coming out this fall. I'd still like to get the boxed set that was released last year, one of these days.

Its really sad to think about Michael Hutchence dying. :( But its nice to hear that the fans were there for the band at such a hard time. I hate to think what it was like for them.

If there is a greatest hits, that'd be so cool. I'd love to get that!

Yeah tis in a lil frame on my wall.
I might scan it for you all later and show.

I too absolutely adore INXS. One of the 1st 2 bands I ever 'discovered'. The other was Dire Straights lol. My very first concert was INXS on their X-Factor tour. I was 13 and had my parents waiting outside as I was way too young to be going alone to the big bad city even though my sister was with me, but being 14 herself, well....lol. Such a fantastic show.
I remember the day he died and flicking on the radio and the dj's were simply saying an Australian rock musician has been found dead in a hotel. They couldn't or didn't release who it was at the time. I had this horrible fear it was him, either him or Peter Garrett or Jimmy Barnes. It made no sense, he had his beautiful daughter, was insanely in love with Paula. Despite the horrid custody battle she had with Bob, it made no sense for him to end his life. As well as the loss to his friends and family, the music industry lost one of its greatest.

I was never a huge INXS fan, I liked them alot and had one of their live cds- 'Live Baby, Live' which incidently I got for christmas 1991 along with Achtung Baby and Crowded Houses' 'Woodface'- what a collection of greatness hey?????? but I remember when Michael died, it was very sad, one of my friends who is a huge INXS fan, rang me up and told me and I was very shocked, the really wrote some amazing music, especially the early stuff- Original Sin is a classic and my fave song is from their first album 'Shabooh Shoobah: The one thing', nice music indeed...but in all honesty I think that my most poignant INXS memory came from the Brisbane Popmart show that I saw in Fegruary of 98- when all the lights had gone down and U2 had finished playing the final song of their encore, everyone in the open-air stadium was left, as they filtered out of the stadium, listening to the sounds of Never tear us apart blasting out of the stadium sound system- I can not tell you how beautiful this was, hearing that bass riff, Michael's vocals & Kirk's saxophone- it was just beautiful and being honest again was probably the highlight of the show, funny hey- the most moving song of the show wasn't even a U2 one!!!:)

Re: the water feels warm......

cass said:
btw it is because of those fabulous shoes, and hearing stories from people who were at the Ritz Carlton the next day...we don't think it was suicide.
I sat 2nd row for INXS at the Orpheum Thetre in Boston about 2 months before Michael's death, shook hands with him and witnessed a man who loved what he was doing. He disappeared from stage, and showed up singing in the balcony, then walked the aisles of the entire orchestra...I have never believed that his death was a suicide.

I saw INXS just after Kick came out in the UK, so it was a small venue. They were fantastic. My fave albums are The Swing and Listen Like Thieves. Support was Sinead O'Connor! Some gigs just live on and on.

Back
Top Bottom