inxs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
so i'm sure we've had threads on this in the past, but it's time for another. who here is a fan? i've been a fan for as long as i've been a U2 fan (10+ years) but i'm just now starting to really, really get into them and buy the rest of their albums, etc.

so yeah...who here likes them?

I love them...but I only own a few albums. I need to get more.

I also have Michael Hutchence's solo album...I love it. I still sometimes can't believe that he's no longer with us. :sigh:

KhanadaRhodes said:
so i'm sure we've had threads on this in the past, but it's time for another. who here is a fan? i've been a fan for as long as i've been a U2 fan (10+ years) but i'm just now starting to really, really get into them and buy the rest of their albums, etc.

I must admit I quite like INXS (or inks, as my mum insisted on calling them). Never tear Us Apart was lovely. I really liked Disappear, Need You Tonight and Mystify.

I've been an INXS fan for a long time, just never got as "involved" with them as with U2. :lol: Sure wish Hutch could have seen his way past his demons - the world's a slightly darker place without his light. :sad:

Matter of fact, I need to work on building my INXS library. I currently only have KICK. :reject: I mean, that's not a bad thing - I just need to expand to their earlier stuff, which I also loved.
Original Sin, The One Thing, What You Need, Listen Like Thieves..... genius! Sheer genius.

And it all of a sudden occurred to me a while back, while commenting on Unforgettable Lemon's signature which quoted "Never Tear Us Apart" - Bono would sound AMAZING on that song!! He & Hutch had so much in common in terms of raw sexuality & stage presence.... I salivate at the THOUGHT of U2 ever covering that particular INXS tune!
:drool: :drool: :combust: :up:

I am/was. I dont really ever listen to them any more, and I'm never really in the mood to either. Good stuff though.

I :heart: INXS

It is INXS and U2 that my mother listened to all the time growing up...well and Pink Floyd too. So go ahead and guess my top three favorite bands.

I miss Hutch :sad: He died on my mother's birthday and we both just cried....The world is missing an angel after his death...

my aunt turned me on to both of them. i'm sure i've posted this many times, but before i could name one of their songs, i knew this much: michael hutchence was the lead singer of inxs. bono was the lead singer of U2. but michael was hotter because bono was married. i was like five or six at the time, i know it was the late 80s.

me starting this thread reminded me i've got some 7" singles of theirs at my parents' house. i had quite the vinyl collection when i was a kid.

i was so upset when i found out michael died. i got their dvd for christmas and at times it's almost eery to watch them knowing he's not here anymore. i hope he knows how much he's missed here on earth. :sad: i'm sure him and paula are up there missing their tiger lily.

BluRmGrl said:

And it all of a sudden occurred to me a while back, while commenting on Unforgettable Lemon's signature which quoted "Never Tear Us Apart" - Bono would sound AMAZING on that song!!

Bono sings an excerpt from "Never Tear Us Apart" in one the live U2 videos, I think it is Popmart.

Love them and I'm still really angry that they are going ahead with that reality thing where they are looking for a new lead singer.

PLEASE - STOP THE INSANITY

Michael Hutchence can never be replaced :heart:

recently went back and acquired everything from Shabooh Shoobah onward......I've taken a liking to Elegantly Wasted (especially "Everything") and Welcome To Wherever You Are...

i've heard comparisons of welcome to wherever you are and achtung baby. except inxs released theirs first, and some inxs fans seem to be bitter than achtung baby got all the credit.

i'm starting to acquire everything (at the moment i've got kick, x, live baby live, and greatest hits) but i'm starting with their debut album. thank god for ebay as it seems their first two albums are now out of print. if i buy one album a month i should be done fairly soon.

I like Welcome To Wherever You Are, its actually one of my favorite INXS albums. I dont see the comparison to Acthung Baby though :shrug: I dont think they are alike at all. Saying that though for the sake of the argument if they were alike sonically I think the reason they dont get the credit is because there is some "filler" on it. The first 5 songs are great but then it loses something for me. Acthung Baby is a complete album, some would argue no filler songs (although I think Tryin is sort of a filler). I also dont think Welcome is a radical departure for INXS from what they were doing prior to that. AB was a departure for U2 more so and I think they got more credit for taking a bigger risk from where they were at previously. Just my 2 cents.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i'm starting to acquire everything (at the moment i've got kick, x, live baby live, and greatest hits) but i'm starting with their debut album. thank god for ebay as it seems their first two albums are now out of print. if i buy one album a month i should be done fairly soon.

The first two albums are also availabe on the Stay Young 1979-1982 (The Complete Deluxe Years) 2 disc set, along with some rarities. I believe it's an Australian release, but you can find it online easily enough.

financeguy said:

Bono sings an excerpt from "Never Tear Us Apart" in one the live U2 videos, I think it is Popmart.
:ohmy: Thanks for the tip! :up: I definately need to check my video collection to see if I have THAT one!

I'd really love to hear a full-version cover, though... simply mind-blowing, I'm sure. :crazy:

I love INXS - I loved them long before I liked U2. My Dad loved them too, so I grew up listening to them. I think I was 8 or 9 when Michael Hutchence committed suicide, and I was so upset. I still get choked up today when I see him on TV.

KhanadaRhodes said:

The same goes for me. :)
I started really getting into them last year, even though I've always loved their songs. I have their live album so far (Live Baby Live). I bought it on a whim and I couldn't be happier. I *really* want Kick though!! The funny thing is, is that I'm having a hard time trying to track it down. I know B&N has it, I saw it. The Rhino extra tracks ones. But, that's all. (!) oi

any thoughts on that Rockstar show coming next summer to CBS? Kinda surprised me when I heard they were auditioning for a new lead singer...at least in this way.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
I like Welcome To Wherever You Are, its actually one of my favorite INXS albums. I dont see the comparison to Acthung Baby though :shrug: I dont think they are alike at all. Saying that though for the sake of the argument if they were alike sonically I think the reason they dont get the credit is because there is some "filler" on it. The first 5 songs are great but then it loses something for me. Acthung Baby is a complete album, some would argue no filler songs (although I think Tryin is sort of a filler). I also dont think Welcome is a radical departure for INXS from what they were doing prior to that. AB was a departure for U2 more so and I think they got more credit for taking a bigger risk from where they were at previously. Just my 2 cents.
oh i agree with you completely. i've only heard the singles off that album and i don't see how the two can be compared. like you said, welcome to wherever you are wasn't a huge change from what they'd been doing.

i don't know what to think of the rockstar thing, to answer u2_girlie's question. i don't think bands should find replacements that way, especially in this case, because of what happened to michael.

I dont think they should replace rock stars with people from tv "talent" shows cause theyre all crap. I dont like one single singer/band from any of those shows. The blandest one always wins :mad:

KhanadaRhodes said:

oh i agree with you completely. i've only heard the singles off that album and i don't see how the two can be compared. like you said, welcome to wherever you are wasn't a huge change from what they'd been doing.

i don't know what to think of the rockstar thing, to answer u2_girlie's question. i don't think bands should find replacements that way, especially in this case, because of what happened to michael.

I would pick up Welcome, you will enjoy it, good album. (I just realized I mispelled Achtung Baby twice on my prior post :lol: :reject: )

I saw INXS with the last replacement singer. The guy looked, sounded and moved just like Michael. I found the whole thing rather disturbing. The band sounded as good as ever though.

yes, yes i will pick it up, eventually. i find it's best for me to start in chronological order. i did it (more or less) with duran duran and U2 when i got into them. come to think of it, i've done that with everyone i've been into enough to buy all their stuff. i'm thinking i'm almost halfway there with buying their stuff, between what i've already got and what is on its way.

btw beli i was reading the last thread (discovering inxs) and you were asking about a video where michael was dancing strangely. are you talking about the video for just keep walking? he's got on a red shirt and the band's behind a white background? it was their first video so i guess you can't get much older than that.

The video was outside. He was dancing behind a campfire / bon fire. It could be Just Keep Walking. Im old. :|

Do you have the video on your computer? Or do you know somewhere I can view it online?

Big fan since 1981.
Have seen them perform here and in London.
Met Kirk Pengilly twice, at London’s Harvey Nicolls Department store the morning of their Wembley Stadium show on 13 July 1991 (live Baby Live DVD) and in 1993, I was standing in a queue of a bottle (alcohol) shop in Neutral Bay (Sydney), and he came up behind me with a slab of beer. I asked him “where did the name of (their new CD) Full Moon, Dirty Hearts come from”. He answered, “I don’t know, crazy Michael”. At that stage, he lived in the adjoining suburb of Cammeray.

Best CD’s

The Swing
Kick
X
Welcome to Wherever You Are
Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
Elegantly Wasted

Max Q (Michael and Ollie Olsen)

Back
Top Bottom