Introduction To Rock Music - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
The Male

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Introduction To Rock Music

I did some thinking last night about what records represent rock the best, and inadvertently came up with the idea to make this thread.

Imagine this. Your son or daughter (of 10 years of age), fresh out of their bubblegum pop/top 40 phase, gets into your record collection and is curious. They've never heard anything you own, and is not knowledgeable in the slightest about rock music. You decide to give them 5 albums to listen to; which do you choose? You can have more than one album, or even all five, by one artist, but bear in mind that this is a 10 year old kid who may not be ready to hear everything you own. Also, no compilations allowed. You can choose based on your own passion for the album, how it represents the genre to you, or, as a parent, based on content.

My list:

Beatles - Abbey Road
The Who - The Who Sell Out
Led Zeppelin - IV
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
T. Rex - Electric Warrior

The Beatles are a must, with Abbey Road being their best album, The Who Sell Out is one of the most fun rock records you'll ever come across, IV is just essential listening, Stardust is incredibly fun and theatrical, and Electric Warrior is possibly one of the catchiest albums ever, with lots of great, fun riffs and a short running time of 39 minutes.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 12:38 PM
Genesis- Selling England By The Pound
Utopia- Ra
The Cure- Disintegration
The Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness
The Doors- The Doors

It would be a good mix of the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s as well as an introduction in the creativity and passion of rock. Selling England By The Pound and Ra would be a nice intro into prog rock and two great guitarists, Todd Rundgren and Steve Hackett. Disintegration and Mellon Collie would be perfect in illustrating the emotional depth and complexity that an album can have. The Doors is a must for any young rock fan.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:38 AM
The Who Sell Out?

I'd give my kid Who's Next, because I would love them better than to give them The Who Sell Out.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
The Who Sell Out?

I'd give my kid Who's Next, because I would love them better than to give them The Who Sell Out.
Well, I originally had Live At Leeds deluxe up there, but damn, it's just way too much music. I never would have had the attention span for that when I was 10. Who's Next is great, but Sell Out is one of the most fun concept albums ever. My dad played Who's Next for me when I was 10...I hated it. I found it later at 13 and latched onto it then.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Hm, I've never been a fan of The Who Sell Out. My favorite early Who album is A Quick One.

I'm not sure if the kid will appreciate Dark Side of the Moon when they first hear it, but it'll subliminally program to like awesome music
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
The Male

Also, this one would be a good choice:

Now.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Crowded House: Crowded House
Split Enz: Frenzy (2006 remaster)
U2: The Unforgettable Fire
Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream
Dream Theater: Images And Words

And if the rules permtted it:
The Shadows: The Final Collection

I largely went by my own experience here, and what I think would be appropriate for a child just getting into good music. Crowded House is essential - intelligent and extremely catchy pop-rock with gorgeous vocals. Perfect. I was hesitant about using Split Enz (and they're who I'd cut if The Shadows were permitted) due to their close relation to Crowded House, but I wanted to show off more quirky and unique musical aspects without going too far. And come on, what kid isn't going to love Hermit McDermitt?

Then I'd move on to The Unforgettable Fire to introduce the child to beautiful, sweeping soundscapes. At the age of 11, Bad was my favourite song in the world, so I don't think it'd be inappropriate at all. Follow that with Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, an album that takes threads from the three previous albums and puts them into the prog machine without going too crazy. Now with the prog groundwork laid, head onto Dream Theater's masterpiece Images And Words, the album that has defined the third wave of prog.

I would have dearly loved to include an album by The Shadows, a fantastic instrumental rock band who ruled by musical world from when I was a toddler until I was 11 (and are still one of my favourites). I wore out multiple Shadows cassettes. However, their creative peak was in the early 1960s, their best work in that period was on their singles, and the way to hear that material now is via compilations. So I can't include them under the rules.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
The Male

Quote:

Seriously, for a ten year old? No way, man. This isn't your doped up dorm buddy asking to borrow a record, after all.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

My 10-year-old will be awesome. Like I said, I'm going to subliminally program him/her to like awesome stuff.

We will watch Walker, Texas Ranger together.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
The Male

Quote:
My 10-year-old will be awesome. Like I said, I'm going to subliminally program him/her to like awesome stuff.

We will watch Walker, Texas Ranger together.
That sounds fun. I wish mine would have prodigiously talented ears for good music at an early age (dude, a ten year old that likes Loveless and OK Computer would be awesome )
Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

as for modern rock albums, I'd give the kid "Elephant" or "Icky Thump" by The White Stripes, "Ten" or "Vs." by Pearl Jam, and some early R.E.M., but that's more college rock than modern.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:38 AM
My ten year old will be able to snobbishly tell you about how your non-prog music is inferior.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
My ten year old will be able to snobbishly tell you about how your non-prog music is inferior.

25 year interference reunion FTW.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

'Lil Axver will throw kiwis at 'Lil LMP while he roundhouse kicks him in the kidney.

And he'll be a big Springsteen fan, too