Int'l calling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm officially stumped. I have a Tracfone pay as you go phone. The other day I bought some international calling minutes so I could talk to my boyfriend in the UK with it. When I dial the service number, than input his number, it tells me his number is invalid. The number is correct. I dialed the country code 44, followed by the number. The only thing i can think of is that I'm screwing up the country code somehow? Do you have to put a 0 in front of it or something? I don't understand why it's not working. Any ideas or advice?:sigh:

Ali

AngelofHarlem01 said:
I'm officially stumped. I have a Tracfone pay as you go phone. The other day I bought some international calling minutes so I could talk to my boyfriend in the UK with it. When I dial the service number, than input his number, it tells me his number is invalid. The number is correct. I dialed the country code 44, followed by the number. The only thing i can think of is that I'm screwing up the country code somehow? Do you have to put a 0 in front of it or something? I don't understand why it's not working. Any ideas or advice?:sigh:

Ali

Have you dialed the international access code number? 011? Does his number have a city code?

Ok. when I dial overseas (granted I only call one number :) ), I dial 011, then country code, then city code (if any), then the person's number. So far it's always worked.

If it still doesn't work I would look for a customer service number for your tracfone. Could be that something just isn't set up correctly.

First off, do you live in the U.S.? That will make my question a bit easier. Secondly, are you calling a UK landline or a UK cell phone? Third, what town/city does he live in?

Melon

melon said:
First off, do you live in the U.S.? That will make my question a bit easier. Secondly, are you calling a UK landline or a UK cell phone? Third, what town/city does he live in?

Melon

Yep I'm in the U.S. The number's for his cell phone. And he lives just outside of Edinburgh.

To phone the UK from the US, you need to dial 011 44 then the number, but DON'T dial the first 0 in the number. For example, if your boyfriend's number is 01234 56 78 90, you dial 011 44 1234 56 78 90.

yeah its a bit complicated. when you call to UK, from US it will be 01144 whereas from, say, moscow, it will be 0044, for some countries 00144. so thats why one always writes +44 etc. the + indicates the number before, depending where you are.

if you call your bf from london, you will have to dial the city code with the zero. if you call from another country, you have to leave the city code´s zero out. same for my country.. i always write +43-1-xxxxxxx. from another city in my country or from a national mobile it would be 01-xxxxxxx.

Back
Top Bottom