Interpol, Primal Scream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I've heard some of the newest Interpol album--it's quite good....but other than that, I know NOTHING about this band. I couldn't even tell you what they sang, besides, "Stella was a diver she was always down." :D What should I d/l, get, etc?

And Primal Scream, same. I'm seeing them live in August....I'd like to know what they're about (or aboot, seeing as how i'm Canadian) ;)

the Primals are Scots

their nominal frontman is Bobby Gillespie, who used to drum for the Jesus & Mary Chain

they started out with something like bluesy jangle pop before moving on to the acid-house rave scene with the Screamedelica album in the late 80s. it's seen as a production masterwork.

nowadays they're pursuing some kind of electro-industrial sound.

edit: and i'm not sure how current i am, but i believe in their ranks they include mani (ex-stone roses bassist) and kevin shields (ex-guitarist for my bloody valentine).

Last edited:
The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I've heard some of the newest Interpol album--it's quite good....but other than that, I know NOTHING about this band. I couldn't even tell you what they sang, besides, "Stella was a diver she was always down." :D What should I d/l, get, etc?

You should buy their excellent first album "Turn on the Bright Lights." They are an NYC-based band and very good in concert. They're actually on tour with the Cure this summer.

Go to http://www.interpolnyc.com (i believe that's the address) for more info :)

I saw Interpol at the HFStival here in DC last year...they played before my friend's band. I had never seen them before but they were pretty kewl. I liked the fact that they were dressed so nicely. It was a nice change.

Yeah I saw Interpol at the Lowlands festival and they were the best dressed people I've seen there all weekend. Thanks to that show I bought Turn on the Bright Lights. I'm looking forward to the new album.

And wow, on tour with The Cure, I wish I could attend that show! :drool:

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
What should I d/l, get, etc?

I'd agree that you really need to get the album.

Here are som songs you can check out to tide you over though (they were pretty much all the singles):

Obstacle 1
PDA
Say Hello To the Angels
NYC

On a personal note, their song "NYC" was what broke me into no longer ignoring my dream of living in NYC. It's just so beautiful and really struck something in me to try and accomplish my dream.

Primal Scream have 2 albums worth investing in:

Screamadellica. Released in 1991, it's an experimental classic. Not alot of guitars. Plenty of boogie.

Give Out, But Don't Give Up. Released in 1994. A straight rock album, southern influence. Complete turn from Screamadellica. Great party album.

The rest of their stuff is garbage.

Back
Top Bottom