Internet Explorer security flaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3840101.stm

Users are being told to avoid using Internet Explorer until Microsoft patches a serious security hole in it.
The loophole is being exploited to open a backdoor on a PC that could let criminals take control of a machine.

The threat of infection is so high because the code created to exploit the loophole has somehow been placed on many popular websites.

Experts say the list of compromised sites involves banks, auction and price comparison firms and is growing fast.

:yikes:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/

This will get you rid of (most) security flaws, improve your browsing experience and block those annoying pop-ups (of course you can select the sites you do want to give you pop-ups).

Try it!

:D

Marty

edit: This release is also called One Tree Hill, so you have the added advantage of using an inspired-by-U2 browser. :)

Last edited:
i know whenever i try to use IE i get popups or warnings for trojans and all kinds of crap happens with my computer like locking up. (i have milliennium edition not XP)

when i use mozilla i hardly have any problems :up:

i've gotten to the point where i hardly like to use IE at all except when i have to because certain sites require it :mad:

Alright all you smart folks - I bit and decided to download Firefox, but now when I click that icon to start surfing, every site I try to go to a box pops up that says "www._______.com cannot be found. Please check the name and try again."

Says that for interference, google, msn, everything. When I first went to run it, it asked if I wanted to to import my bookmarks from IE and I said yes, could that be part of the problem? :banghead:

It seems to me that Firefox does not know how to connect to the Internet. Go to Tools -> Options. In the General tab click on Connection Settings (lower right corner). What does it say? It has to have the same settings as IE has (in Extra -> Options and then the Connections tab, maybe even the LAN Settings (this may vary a bit as I have a localised version of IE here)).

Hope this helps.

C ya!

Marty

Firefox is a browser-only application. (Mozilla is a whole suite including mail, composer, etc.) Both are based on the same architecture. I prefer Firefox because it is browser-only and apparently faster than Mozilla. The current version of Firefox is 0.9, but it's as good as any browser. They started developing it based on Mozilla 1.0, so you cannot consider it a 'beta' anymore.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Firefox is a browser-only application. (Mozilla is a whole suite including mail, composer, etc.) Both are based on the same architecture. I prefer Firefox because it is browser-only and apparently faster than Mozilla. The current version of Firefox is 0.9, but it's as good as any browser. They started developing it based on Mozilla 1.0, so you cannot consider it a 'beta' anymore.

C ya!

Marty
Thanks for the tip :up: I am using firefox for two days now and i like it.

I still can't figure out the problem - 'direct connection to the internet' is the option that is marked :scratch: I'll try to go to their site and see if maybe this is in their FAQ.

New question - I was in IE today, and the cat walked across the keyboard and screwed up the screen. The top of the screen shows the buttons to click for back, forward, stop, reload, home etc, but does not list the options for file, edit, view, favorites, tools, and help, and it does not have the address bar for me to punch in whatever site I need to go to. The bottom toolbar will pop up if I set the arrow over it, but otherwise it disappears.

I'm guessing the control key with some letter will fix it back to the way it was, but I'm scared to just go through the alphabet, does anyone know? :banghead:

They now have a 0.9.1 Firefox version so uninstalled the old one and downloaded the new one, it is working ok. Still need to figure out the IE problem because that is on my work computer...

BLS, it sounds like your browser window is probably in full screen. Hit F11 and that should return the window size to normal.

can i ask some dumb questions? if i put firefox on my comp and dont like it, is it easy to take off again? and how do you set either IE or firefox as the default browser?
i also use win98...will it work on my state of the art computer?

Yes, Firefox is easy to uninstall. It doesn't mess with your system (registry, etc.). I don't know if they have an actual uninstall option yet. If they don't, just delete the Firefox folder where you installed it.

When you start up Firefox for the first time it asks if you want it to be your default browser. I think you can also set it in the Options menu.

Firefox system requirements:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/system-requirements.html
Windows
Operating Systems

* Windows 98
* Windows 98SE
* Windows ME
* Windows NT 4.0
* Windows 2000
* Windows XP (Recommended)

Minimum Hardware

* Pentium 233 MHz (Recommended: Pentium 500MHz or greater)
* 64 MB RAM (Recommended: 128 MB RAM or greater)
* 52 MB hard drive space

C ya!

Marty

This is a scary thing and I want to block it. But I don't want a firewall! What should I do?

U2Kitten said:
This is a scary thing and I want to block it. But I don't want a firewall! What should I do?

Repeating my reply from above :D :

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/

This will get you rid of (most) security flaws, improve your browsing experience and block those annoying pop-ups (of course you can select the sites you do want to give you pop-ups).

Try it!

:D

Marty

edit: This release is also called One Tree Hill, so you have the added advantage of using an inspired-by-U2 browser. :)

I don't like pop ups but I do like being able to click on links and open additional windows, which pop up blockers stop.

Back
Top Bottom