International Tartan Day...what is a "wee dug"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I have mentioned before that I live near what is known as "the biggest little Scottish town in Australia" I have yet to get involved in their annual Easter Highland Gathering. Next year will be their 100th, so I'm looking forward to that.
In the meantime, they are celebrating International Tartan Day on July 5th. They are having highland dancing, haggis tasting:drool:?, massed pipe bands, a "piper's retreat" and prizes for best dressed lassies, lads, bairns and wee dugs.

What is a "wee dug"? Do we still have any Scottish members here? I'd appreciate an answer.
If it is as I suspect...my chihuahua had best watch out. He will look great in a kilt and a jaunty little cap:yes:

But THE best thing I have just realised!!!!!!
My hub's band is playing at the local club that night..yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa. I have plans:eyebrow: :mac:
I will search the local 2nd hand shops and try to find as much tartan as I can to dress the band up in. I know I have seen kilts there in the past. I hope they will be open to my....... what I consider to be, brilliant idea:wink: :eeklaugh:
And the possibility of bringing in a bagpipe player to join them in a rendition of ACDC's "long way to the top"...that really has me:hyper: I myself may dress as a character that Magda Subanski(sp?) does. Magda is a brilliant Aussie comedienne( she was the farmer's wife in "Babe" 'the big chick") She does a Scottish character who is famous for her"thigh -slapping".:lmao:
Oh, I am brimful of ideas..look out.
It is also the night before my 22nd wedding anniversary...so if hub doesn't realise I'm an edjit by now....he never will...eh?

but to cut a long story short:blahblah:(who me?)

what is a "wee dug"? Please anybody?

ye take the high road and I 'll take the low road
and I'll be in Scotland beforrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre ye.......":heart:

I've got my Baycity Rollers pumping all night long.

What day is it?

Oh, it's always Saturday, Saturday, Saturday!!! (night)

:sexywink:

geez, I forgotten about the Bay City Rollers..did u have to remind me?

I had a tartan satchel when I was at high school ( my mum bought it..cheap somewhere no doubt) My friends teased me about being a Bay City Rollers fan:(

Thanks BAW..that was my first guess. Little Bo-man is for it then.
Hub said it was funny I should mention kilts as the singer in the band had quite some time ago mentioned he wouldn't mind wearing one....so here goes:) I haven't seen hub's band for ages...and ages. I haven't even met the "new" drummer. I tokk the guitarists amp back to his place on the way to soccer yesterday...and I just have to say this( ego you know, doesn't get stroked very often) He answered the door and stepped back( must tell you he's a man of few words, especially kind ones) He told me I look great:faint:

Anyway while I'm here another story........U2 content:yes:

My favourite check-out chick at the supermarket has taken time off to have her first baby. I asked after her yesterday.
What did she have?...a boy
What is his name?...... long pause, the girl said "It's a singer's name, ummmmmm"........long pause...very long pause

"Bono?" I suggested.

She didn't get my drift.

eventually she remembered,
Welcome baby Ronan, I hear you are gorgeous, be good to your mummy.

I am making a kilt and tam-o-shanter for my dog

I would love to samralf, but my camera broke last week:( I'll have to start drawing pictures eh?
I am hand sewing my 'wee dug's" kilt and attaching it to his rad and black knitted coat. I think it will work. And I'm knitting him a teeny cap for his teeny cute head. He doesn't get out much, so I'm a bit worried the bagpipes will frighten him...or worse (remember he is a chihuahua, HUGE libido, all those sporrins)

I found a beautiful kilt in St Paul's Boutique($3 woohoo) A "John Morrison, Edinburgh 100% pure new wool" creation, in perfect condition. I think they look great on, the way the pleats swing at the back. It has leather straps and buckles and one of those big pins...dead sexy imho. The old ladies asked me "is it the Stuart tartan?" I replied 'I don't know, I'm Irish" They think I should keep that bit quiet. They had other funny tales of their journeys in Scotland. I :heart: the volunteer workers. Hearts of gold.
I have wool tartan ties for the rest of the band and I got a short heavy wool pleated red tartan skirt for myself . I'm going the Avril Lavigne meets Gwen Steffani meets Braveheart route myself:crazy: It should be fun.

Here is a pic I mentioned that appeared in our local newspaper at Easter time. I think it was cool of the piper to step out of a boat and on to that rock.

Attachments

• piper.jpg
    piper.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 33
I'm taking a bsket for my "wee dug" to retreat to if it gets to scary for him.

and here is the scene of the crime...fashion crime?
It is set to rain today and tomorrow. I hope it clears by the weekend. It's a shame when all the outfits get wet.
Will I or won't I sample haggis for the first time?

In the Biggest little Scottish town in Australia someone has painstakingly gone around and painted every telegraph pole with a differetn tartan. I'll have to search mine out. My boys are supposed to play soccer there Saturday afternoon too. Handy. all roads lead to Maclean.

Attachments

• piper22.jpg
    piper22.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 35
I was seeing double there for a while...hand-sewing the tiny kilt and knitting his wee cap in one sitting. But it looks great...especially the tassle on the top of his hat. He is taking it very seriously and big Gusto is SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous. The little brat is even getting to use Gus' tartan lead...what an insult!!!
As hub said" of all times for the camera to break down"
The hat( it has elastic under his chin to hold it on) looks particularly :angel:

thanks for the ideas samralf...
Headline on today's newspaper,
"Maclean Tartans Up For Big Day"..teehee
I am a bit worried I may look like an "old tart" :D
I just read mine and hub's horoscopes and they were so appropriate..."out of kilter...." kilt-er :)

I love a parade..........obviously:wave:

naughty naughty

I was in Maclean yesterday to buy a present for a friend's 50th birthday. He is a chocolate fiend, so I headed to the "Chocolate Box" a delicious shop that sells handmade confectionary. I chose choc-coated locally grown coffee beans and red foiled chocolate hearts. As the nice woman was wrapping them for me we talked about the tartan festival. I wished her well, saying it should be good for business.
ohhhhwaaaaaaaah, you know what she said?
"it won't be , those Scotchies don't spend much money":eyebrow: ohhhwaaaaaaaaaaah, what a naughty thing to say.
I am going to buy some more yummies from her tomorrow, anniversary present. Hub is a chocolate fiend too:tongue: so am I:mac:
I bathed the chihuahua this afternoon, in wheatgerm and honey shampoo...for shine. His tail is a splendid bloom...this should be fun:wave:

my o my...what a fun day

if I had a dollar for every photograph that was taken of us yesterday and every time someone said you and you "we dug" look great...I'd be somewhat richer. Unfortunately( I think) the photos were all taken by complete strangers, tourists who I'll never see again. I had some fun conversations and heard some wonderful piping and drumming( ahhhhhhh The Skye Boat song played by the massed band:heart:)
My "wee dug" won a prize, which I will never let him eat. There was some hot competition from a frufru white poodle:lmao:
My dog was spoon-fed haggis by one of the clan chieftans. I came home and travelled back in the afternoon with the boys for their soccer game. I took my big dog Gustovox with me. He was greatly admired too wearing his tartan bandana:D
And then I went back AGAIN with hub to his gig at the club and the pipe band members from the mountains stayed in town and came along and really rocked out. It was great...a weekend I'll long hold dear( my 22nd wedding anniversary weekend and all:faint:child bride you see:yes:........)

I love the cultural diversity of Australia. This week is NAIDOC week
National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC). Their aim is to educate and encourage tolerance and reconciliation. I am going to a gathering that will have dreamtime stories and music and dancing and a bush tucker feast( wichitee grub........YUM) and art and sharing:up:
never a dull moment:)

I'd like to teel the story of this Scottish piper that has come to live here. He must have the biggest heart...another day

I love tradition and culture very much...there is a lot to be learned

always

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom