Interference's Favorite Movie Quotes, Badasses, and Other Nifty Lists - Voting Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Punch-Drunk Love is his best film, easily. It's probably one of the most perfect examples I've seen of using visual and aural techniques to tell the story, outside of writing and acting. It's a damn near perfect film, and I still can't get enough of it. And I usually hate Adam Sandler.

P.T. Anderson really is one of the greats already though, and having recently watched most of his films again I've got to say he's possibly my favorite contemporary filmmaker (I can't believe I forgot to put him on my top 10 directors list ).

Hard Eight and Boogie Nights are two era-defining works in film, nearly one-upping Tarantino at his own game (if only because PT is a more "deep" filmmaker while being just as stylish). Magnolia is an extremely difficult film at first, and it really doesn't pay off until the final half hour or so. Take a great deal of patience. I personally have a few problems with that film, but it's still my second favorite PT film.

Puck-Drunk Love is #1 though, for reasons I've already stated. That's a good sign though, because his films have only been steadily getting better and better with each subsequent release. If that pattern holds true, "There Will Be Blood" should be his finest work yet. And if so, God, I can't even imagine what that film will deliver.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #17
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:12 PM
I almost checked out Punch-Drunk years ago because I'm such a big Sandler fan, but there's about a 5% I would've enjoyed it.

It's in the epic-ass 200 movie NetFlix list right now.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 PM
I am one of the few people I know of that loves Punch Drunk Love. I'm a big PT Anderson fan, the guy was just born to make movies.

LMP aka YLB, I'm going to definitely do those lists, possibly later on today, once I've left work.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Fantastic!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
I am one of the few people I know of that loves Punch Drunk Love. I'm a big PT Anderson fan, the guy was just born to make movies.
That he was.

I absolutely adore that film. And it's really just one of the most perfectly crafted movies I've ever seen, to the point where the camera, the lighting, and the art design overshadow even the phenominal performances (Philip Seymour Hoffman at his finest, even in such a small role).

Another point about PT, is his ability to bring the most out of his actors. Throughout his 4 films, we've seen career-best performances from Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, John C. Riley, and probably even Burt Reynolds.

Can you imagine what he's going to do with Daniel-Day Lewis?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Punch-Drunk Love is my favourite PT Anderson film by far, although I haven't got round to catching Hard Eight on TV yet. It's definitely a less inaccessible film than Boogie Nights or Magnolia were, which is odd as it's a 90 minute comedy drama starring Adam Sandler. It's not really a film focussed on plot so much either, which I know has thrown a fair few people off, but I'm a sucker for intelligent, non-formulaic romances so just spending time with the characters was enough for me on a first viewing.

Another young director that I really, REALLY like is Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth, Election, About Schmidt and Sideways). There's something about his completely relaxed and uncluttered style that attracts me to his films and particularly with the latter two films I can just get completely immersed in the story and performances. Although it will be interesting to see if he can still pull of the satirical jabs of his first two films now Sideways has got him lots of Hollywood attention (his Paris Je T'aime segment was more in line with his more recent two).
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Alexander Payne is another contemporary kick-ass-er. Love his technique.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #23
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Still a few more days to vote, fellas.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

What's the deadline again? I would really love to get a list in but preseason started this week so it'll be tough.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

This Friday, 6/17.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks, I'll see if i can get it in, but I can't be sure
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #27
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

that's cool, at least you have an excuse.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, I would hope hitting other people for 7 hours a day is a good excuse
Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I was thinking about making a sort of "fantasy filmmaker" competition soon. But nothing as extensive as what the cats over at RT do, with the year long scoring and team-making and stuff like that.

Maybe just have people come up with a very short film idea (genre-subgenre-setting-time perid), director, writer, stars, supporting actors, cinematographer, art designer, composer/sountracks, producer maybe, and on and on. People would submit their fantasy films, using people from anyone in the industry to fill in the gaps, and then maybe we could have people list their favorites, and then start a short competition if there's enough interest.

Anyone game?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #30
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

That sounds like the best idea ever.