Interference's 50 Favorite Films

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe she didn't win for Eternal Sunshine. Or even Finding Neverland.

And Marty didn't deserve to win for The Departed. I agree there. He should have won for Taxi Driver/Raging Bull, but there they go with the pity vote again. Oh well.

Worst win in Oscar history: Roberto Benigni! I cringe when i think back on that year! I don't even remember who else was nominated, but i'm fairly certain that any of them would have been more deserving.

ultravioletluvv said:
Worst win in Oscar history: Roberto Benigni! I cringe when i think back on that year! I don't even remember who else was nominated, but i'm fairly certain that any of them would have been more deserving.

I had to watch that film for a college class and I hated every second of it. EVERY SECOND!

I'll never get past Lewis not winning for Gangs. Unfuckingreal.

For the record. I love Forrest Gump. I own it, if you look at a past thread about movies that make me cry, I mention this film. So I'm far from hating it. I just was surprised it was at #2, regardless of whether this was best or most enjoyable films of all time. My list was totally about what I enjoy, not about what's "the best".

And, yes, the Oscars are a joke, way too self-congratulatory for my tastes. Amen, Beav, re: Titanic.

Lastly, wildly agree about Kate Winslet. She's amazing, and probably my favorite actress working today.

Lancemc said:

And yes, I do think the LOTR films are pretty average. :grumpy:

Two Towers is. :angry: It's just one big battle sequence. BOOOOORING. Return > Fellowship >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Towers :grumpy:

Forrest Gump is a great movie, BTW. Surprised to see it at #2, however. :slant:

I think Back to the Future and Pulp Fiction appeared on more lists than Forrest, but the placement of Forrest is what propelled it so high.

Queen Bee said:
Muriel's Wedding is awesome okay :angry:

06562-2.jpg

PULL THE STRING!

Now he actually deserved that Best Supporting Actor Oscar over Sam Jackson and Morgan Freeman that year.

ultravioletluvv said:

But yeah, the Oscars in general are a joke. Hey, we should start a thread on that! I've got a bone to pick with Denzel Washington (as much as i love him) winning for Training Day! There were way better performances that year!

I totally agree. I was pissed that year. I didn't even care for Training Day at all. He's given much better performances in other movies. And I hate the sympathy vote that goes out to the actor in his following role, which usually screws someone over that deserved it.

In 2001, Best actors nominated were:

- Russell Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind" (Universal and DreamWorks)
- Sean Penn in "I Am Sam" (New Line)
- Will Smith in "Ali" (Sony Pictures Releasing)
- Denzel Washington in "Training Day" (Warner Bros.)
- Tom Wilkinson in "In the Bedroom" (Miramax)

I think I would have been happy with any of the other 4 actors.

2001 Nominees: http://www.oscars.org/74academyawards/nomswins.html

Benigni won in 1999 for the 1998 movie Life Is Beautiful. And the nominees were:

Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role
- Roberto Benigni - Life is Beautiful
- Tom Hanks - Saving Private Ryan
- Ian McKellen - Gods and Monsters
- Nick Nolte - Affliction
- Edward Norton - American History X

And at the 75th Academy Awards, the nominees were
- Adrien Brody in "The Pianist" (Focus Features)
- Nicolas Cage in "Adaptation" (Sony Pictures Releasing)
- Michael Caine in "The Quiet American" (Miramax and Intermedia)
- Daniel Day-Lewis in "Gangs of New York" (Miramax)
- Jack Nicholson in "About Schmidt" (New Line)

just glad Jack didn't win for that. :wink:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:

I
In 2001, Best actors nominated were:

- Russell Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind" (Universal and DreamWorks)
- Sean Penn in "I Am Sam" (New Line)
- Will Smith in "Ali" (Sony Pictures Releasing)
- Denzel Washington in "Training Day" (Warner Bros.)
- Tom Wilkinson in "In the Bedroom" (Miramax)

I think I would have been happy with any of the other 4 actors.

Russell Crow was Excellent in A Beautiful Mind... I was so sad he did not win that year...didn't he do something to piss people off that year? I can't remember...he mouthed off or something?

Yep, Russell Crowe was incredible in that movie! I thought he should have won, but they didn't give it to him because he had won the year before for Gladiator. Also, there was alot of talk about him kinda being an ass in real life. But I think more than anything, it was because very few people are honored with back to back oscars and they didn't want him to be one of them.

But they year he won for Gladiator, I thought Tom Hanks should have won for Cast Away. He was amazing, acting opposite a volleyball for most of the movie. But again, I think they didn't want to honor Tom Hanks with a 3rd oscar so soon. Plus, they probably felt bad about Russell Crowe not winning for the Insider the year before. Although, I wouldn't say he was screwed out of that one. He was definitely amazing in that role, but Kevin Spacey was way deserving of the win.

These awards seem more about timing than anything. It's just an endless cycle of actors getting screwed over, only to be rewarded later down the road and in-turn screwing another deserving actor.

Now, don't even get me started on the ridiculousness of the Best Supporting Actress category....:mad:

I'd have to agree with you ultravioletluvv, but maybe not on the Hanks/Castaway part :wink: Crowe was great in The Insider (and Gladiator), which was on my top 25 list. Some years there are multiple winning performances, and others are like a dry spell.
I guess the year Denzel won for best actor was post "him getting screwed over for previous nominations" :angry:

My biggest Oscar peeve is when they gave the supporting actress Oscar to Whoopi Goldberg for "Ghost."

They might as well have renamed the award: "Hey, sorry we completely thumbed our nose at The Color Purple a few years back. You should have won then. But here, here's an Oscar for your recent, hammy role."

^^ Well, since the Best Supporting Actress can of worms was opened.... how about Marisa Tomei for My Cousin Vinny???:madwife:

And i totally agree about Whoopi, by the way.

Whoopi Goldberg - Ghost as "Oda Mae Brown"
Annette Bening - The Grifters as "Myra Langtry"
Lorraine Bracco - Goodfellas as "Karen Hill (née Friedman)"
Diane Ladd - Wild at Heart as "Marietta Fortune"
Mary McDonnell - Dances with Wolves as "Stands With A Fist"

Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny as "Mona Lisa Vito"
Judy Davis - Husbands and Wives as "Sally"
Joan Plowright - Enchanted April as "Mrs. Fisher"
Vanessa Redgrave - Howards End as "Ruth Wilcox"
Miranda Richardson - Damage as "Ingrid Fleming"

Another nominee but never winner = Annette Bening

Lila, you are quick on the lists! :up: :up:

Yeah, i think with this category, they like to give it to somebody young or of course, somebody who's been previously overlooked. It doesn't seem to be based on performance. Well, sometimes it works out that way.

If i remember correctly, in the early years of the Oscars, they used to have an award for Best Young Actor. Seems like the supporting category is where these kids go now. I mean, wasn't Haley Joel Osment the main character in The Sixth Sense, but he got nominated in a supporting role? Oh man, another can of worms here.

corianderstem said:
My biggest Oscar peeve is when they gave the supporting actress Oscar to Whoopi Goldberg for "Ghost."

They might as well have renamed the award: "Hey, sorry we completely thumbed our nose at The Color Purple a few years back. You should have won then. But here, here's an Oscar for your recent, hammy role."

That's essentially what the Oscars have become nowadays.

A comedy can be nominated, but it'll never win. Forget about science fiction.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's essentially what the Oscars have become nowadays.

A comedy can be nominated, but it'll never win. Forget about science fiction.

That's really sad because some of the best movies have fallen in those genres. Speaking of which, how did 2001 not win the Oscar? Why would a film that makes you laugh or think be any less worthy than a regular drama? It's absurd. :shrug:

Lila64 said:
Whoopi Goldberg - Ghost as "Oda Mae Brown"
Annette Bening - The Grifters as "Myra Langtry"
Lorraine Bracco - Goodfellas as "Karen Hill (née Friedman)"
Diane Ladd - Wild at Heart as "Marietta Fortune"
Mary McDonnell - Dances with Wolves as "Stands With A Fist"

This year really angers me because anyone who has seen Wild At Heart will tell you how amazing and challenging Diane Ladd's role was.

Screwtape2 said:

That's really sad because some of the best movies have fallen in those genres. Speaking of which, how did 2001 not win the Oscar? Why would a film that makes you laugh or think be any less worthy than a regular drama? It's absurd. :shrug:

Exactly. Classics like Young Frankenstein, The Jerk, and Blade Runner should be Oscar-worthy.

The Jerk is awesome, guys. :mad:

THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THESE CANS!

Speaking of awesome, the next voting thread is up and running.

Submit your lists!

I did not know what that meant until I made that joke at a farm.

The tour guide and my parents were not happy with me.

David Lynch is talented, but I've never really gotten into any of his work. He's a little too out there for me.

Back
Top Bottom