Interference World Cup thread #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tyagu_Anaykus said:
my god.... this ref was insane! And what an insane game too... RED CARD for Heitinga for lack of fair play (the ball should have been delivered to Portugal) And what the f*** was that second yellow card to DECO? If a ref shows a yellow because of that, games will never end with 11 players form each side...

Heitinga not giving the ball back was an asshole thing to do, but it's not a cardable offense, if I understand the rules correctly.

vaz02 said:

:lol:

that made me laugh lol, your long term ambition is to take in a DAY of sports :lol:.

not sure if that counts as short or long term lol.

One of them. In a country in a continent I've never visited before.

I'll do all the other touristy things afterward.

Latest betting odds to win WC:
Brazil 11/4
Argentina 3/1
Germany 5/1
England 11/2
Italy 7/1
Spain 9/1
Portugal 12/1
France 16/1
Switzerland 50/1
Ukraine 66/1
Australia 80/1
Ghana 80/1

yertle-the-turtle said:

One of them. In a country in a continent I've never visited before.

I'll do all the other touristy things afterward.

Either one is brilliant. :up: I've only been to rugby matches, no cricket or soccer. It was fun each time (despite it being the Natal Sharks, ugh), so I hope you do get to visit one day! Just keep your windows up, your doors locked, and your valuables hidden. :wink: And if you get a chance, go to the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town!

roy keane said:
I always considered Sven overrated coach.I really can't remember his big trophy aside scudetto with Lazio. Now you see i'm a big England fan and i think it'll be big battle between coaches.Sven with a better team (Ronaldo,Figo,Deco will be out) or big Fil with eleven world cup victories in a row.Sven lost two years ago, lost four years ago but i think will winn this time and it would have nothing with his coach abilities but simply with the fact that without Figo (who will be suspended), Deco and Ronaldo England is better.

Ronaldo perhaps plays , and about Figo , why wont him play ?

The Portugal vs. The Netherlands game was the first World Cup game I've seen completely and I have to say the officiating was horrible and The Netherlands team was a bunch of whiners and floppers.

It was almost like watching a bad NBA game.

I'm glad Portugal won :up:

can someone tell me why ruud didn't play a single minute??

why wasn't he even a sub near the end of the game?

what am i missing here... pretty much dropped by man u and now getting new respect by holland. what a bunch of horseshit.

Place: Germany

Date: 26.6.06

Time: 16:00 GMT

Event: The Aussie socceroos change the Italian menu from
Pizza and Chianti to Vegemite and "Fosters" and
advance to the quarter final of the WC.

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game but my heart will be rooting for my favorite team.

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wondered why Nistelroy wasn't put on the field too. The only explanation I can come to think of is that he is a pretty unfair and cowardly player himself, so he wouldn't have helped the situation.

Last edited:
I think this thing will likely play out like the Brazil game. Australia will play them tightly and tough, and there'll be this tense deadlock for ages. The difference being that the Italian defence will be way better than Brazils, and Australia won't get so many painfuly close chances as they did in that game, while at the other end Italy will knock a couple of heartbreakers in. Something shady early in the 2nd half, then something too easy late in the game. I'm getting f'ing excited though. Imagine if they pull it off. The country is going to erupt.

Both teams played nasty, whoever tackled Ronaldo is lucky for not getting a red card.
On the other hand, so is Figo for the head-butt and Deco for the nasty foul when Holland kept playing despite the Portugal guy being down. (what was up with Deco not giving up the ball too?)

All things considered, no wonder the referee gave out a bunch of cards on both sides.
He totally missed the foul on Van der Sar in the second half and foul on Robben in the penalty area though.

I was surprised to see only 6 minutes overtime, and also for Van Nistleroy not being in the game.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Heitinga not giving the ball back was an asshole thing to do, but it's not a cardable offense, if I understand the rules correctly.

lol you missunderstood me. I didn't mean to say that the ref should have given him a red card. It was me who was giving him a "red card". :):up:

U2girl said:
Deco for the nasty foul when Holland kept playing despite the Portugal guy being down. (what was up with Deco not giving up the ball too?)

He did that tackle because of what Heitinga did. If I was in Deco's shoes I would have done the same. He deserved it lolol :wink: . But yes he should have been sent off. But please, saying that the Deco second yellow was right you're way off... Like I said earlier if you gonna give a SECOND yellow card for that the games will never, and I repeat never end 11 vs 11 neither 10 vs 10. And he didn't hold the ball way too long. I think what Cocu (I think it was him) did to him in that instant was worst. Shoving him down like that. But again in that situation, calling the two players aside, talking to them, warning Deco should have been best option.

The ref completely lost the match early in the first half.

who would have thought to see a Wrestling Match instead of a football match?! :wink:

Vorsprung said:
FIGO IS A BLOODY MOTHERFUCKING FAGGOT!!!!

more insightful analysis may follow later.......

(PS: I vdon't give a fuck about IP-bans right now)

15 years of defeats against us and you're still not used to that.

and btw, next time bring a team with a minimum of fair play. i never expected to see dutch players (known by their politeness) playing only with the intention of causing serious injuries to the opponents, especially when coached by one of my football heroes. what a disappointment.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:

But please, saying that the Deco second yellow was right you're way off... Like I said earlier if you gonna give a SECOND yellow card for that the games will never, and I repeat never end 11 vs 11 neither 10 vs 10. And he didn't hold the ball way too long. I think what Cocu (I think it was him) did to him in that instant was worst.

:up:

AchtungBono said:
Place: Germany

Date: 26.6.06

Time: 16:00 GMT

Event: The Aussie socceroos change the Italian menu from
Pizza and Chianti to Vegemite and "Fosters" and
advance to the quarter final of the WC.

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game but my heart will be rooting for my favorite team.

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard Foster's isn't actually drunk in Australia. :wink:

I'd love for them to do well (especially for Cass and Anna and the rest) so best of luck, and um, good on ya mates. Haha.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:

He did that tackle because of what Heitinga did. If I was in Deco's shoes I would have done the same. He deserved it lolol :wink: . But yes he should have been sent off. But please, saying that the Deco second yellow was right you're way off... Like I said earlier if you gonna give a SECOND yellow card for that the games will never, and I repeat never end 11 vs 11 neither 10 vs 10. And he didn't hold the ball way too long. I think what Cocu (I think it was him) did to him in that instant was worst. Shoving him down like that. But again in that situation, calling the two players aside, talking to them, warning Deco should have been best option.

The ref completely lost the match early in the first half.

who would have thought to see a Wrestling Match instead of a football match?! :wink:

I know why he did it, that doesn't make it right IMO no more than what Heitinga did. Deco wasn't going to last the whole match the way he acted anyway.

He should have given the ball asap, and I didn't like what Cocu did either.

I think the players on both sides lost the match when they decided to play dirty like that. The funny thing at the end was seeing Deco and Portugal players with red cards sitting together in peace.

Last edited:
From the BBC

Replays appeared to show Figo made some contact with Van Bommel and had he been dismissed, Portugal would have been reduced to nine men against a full-strength Dutch team at the time.

Figo was later involved in more controversy when his tangle with Khalid Boulahrouz led to the Holland defender being dismissed for a second yellow card.

However, Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari defended Figo.

He said: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek, unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."

Regardless of the incidents, Figo played one hell of a game yesterday. I cannot recall when I last saw him play so well.

Figo means "fig" in Portuguese.

My daily contribution of useless trivia.

:wink:

Here's for two good matches today, so I can forget that England - Ecuador nightmare (I think they are marketing the game to patients with insomnia :D ).

U2@NYC said:

Here's for two good matches today, so I can forget that England - Ecuador nightmare (I think they are marketing the game to patients with insomnia :D ).

i hope you dont say jokes like that for a living

:reject:

:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom