Interference World Cup thread #3 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:05 AM
1st half, amazing...

2nd half...

Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Group E is the best... tomorrow at 10 am (here) it'll be the clash of the death group

Old 06-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #213
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:05 PM
I think Argentina did the best they could under the circumstances
both teams are just too wel organized for the other to just walk through the defense and score 2 or more goals +
wanting to win and having to win are 2 completely different things

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
Although I'm an England supporter I'm surprised so many people think England will easily defeat Ecuador. Sure Ecuador lost 3-0 to Germany yesterday but they benched 5 of their best players (they probably wanted to play England lol!) and they beat both Argentina AND Brazil in the qualifying rounds...(granted, that was at a different altitude!)

I hope I don't jinx England but I might just put a bet on Ecuador - that way I win no matter who loses!
i know ! no south american team can be taken lightly and their are no fools left in this tournment.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i quite enjoyed the first half of Argentina vs Holland. Then i fell asleep at approximately 55 minutes into the second half.

Anyway, onto the topic of Brazil. Clearly Ronaldo isn't firing on all cylinders and we have only seen flashes of what Ronaldinho can do to a team so here's my solution to their small problems. Start the next game with Ronaldo on the bench, push Ronaldinho up into the support striker position with Adriano and bring in Juninho Pernambucano in the position Ronaldinho used to be playing.

If Brazils manager doesn't play this then he is an idiot!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #216
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
bring in Juninho Pernambucano in the position Ronaldinho used to be playing.

Juninho , and he's from my same city

I think only Brazil happens this , the best free-kicker stays on the bench . probably the Best FK of the world today , without mention He was THE player of the French League .

But there's still hope .

A question , is anyne dutch here ....
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I think Argentina did the best they could under the circumstances
both teams are just too wel organized for the other to just walk through the defense and score 2 or more goals +
wanting to win and having to win are 2 completely different things

Agreed.

Argentina knew that it would be first in the group with a draw. Yet, they looked continuously for the score. Note that Argentina had also taken out their two main strikers (Saviola and Crespo and their most attacking midfielder, Sorin) since they had yellow cards. As you mention, the Dutch defense is clearly much better than the Serbian defense, so it was harder to penetrate.

Regardless, I think these two teams are among the best in the competition and should go far. Holland should play a good game against Portugal. Argentina may have a tough time against Mexico (they always complicate our lives) but, judging by the levels of the two teams, Argentina should prevail.

And tomorrow morning, the definition of Group E should be
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #218
New Yorker

But dude I believe you agree with me , that the best guns are Messi and Tevez , I think everyone on the world would always call them the main ones.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP
But dude I believe you agree with me , that the best guns are Messi and Tevez , I think everyone on the world would always call them the main ones.
Sure, before the WC I would have agreed with you.

But Crespo and Saviola have played very well in the first two matches and I would tend to agree with Pekerman. I would start them against Mexico.

And would bring in Messi and Tevez when the other team is more tired, in the second half, to finish them off...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 AM   #220
Refugee

Local Time: 09:35 PM
...Only 13 hours until Australia v Croatia!! I'm getting butterflies in my stomach already thinking about it!! I bet i won't be able to get to sleep, I'll probably still be lying awake when the alarm goes off at 4:15 tomorrow morning for the game!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:34 AM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:05 PM
If Cote d'Ivoire stopped giving their opponents two goal handicaps, they might actually be in the knockout round right now.

Just a thought.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:01 AM   #222
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

USA-Ghana and Italy-Czech Republic in 7 hours.

USA needs a win and either an Italy win or a hell of a lot of goals to advance.

Problem is, if USA wins or ties, Italy needs only a tie to clinch first place, whereas an Italy loss would leave them in second (assuming they hang on to their goal differential advantage over the USA). So if the USA is tied or leads, it's late in the game, and Italy-Czech are tied, Italy will hear about it. Then will then have zero incentive to try to win the match, and a lot of incentive to not lose it, meaning they'll play for the tie. (I'd like to believe that the best way to avoid losing is to attack instead of to play passive defense, but that's definitely not true late in the game.) Then the USA will need a ton of goals against Ghana.

The alternative would be for the USA to go down early, force Italy to play for the win, then come back with two goals against Ghana. I think we can all agree that this is ridiculous.

If I were on the USA soccer contingent, I'd work on a way to jam all the communications around the Italy-Czech Republic match to prevent them from finding out the score. There must be some Army engineers we can fly in to handle this.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:11 AM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC

Agreed.

Argentina knew that it would be first in the group with a draw. Yet, they looked continuously for the score. Note that Argentina had also taken out their two main strikers (Saviola and Crespo and their most attacking midfielder, Sorin) since they had yellow cards. As you mention, the Dutch defense is clearly much better than the Serbian defense, so it was harder to penetrate.

Regardless, I think these two teams are among the best in the competition and should go far. Holland should play a good game against Portugal. Argentina may have a tough time against Mexico (they always complicate our lives) but, judging by the levels of the two teams, Argentina should prevail.

And tomorrow morning, the definition of Group E should be
Oh snap!

You know perfectly well how you would react if England had delivered the same kind of lazy performance. Oh wait, they did.....

Seriously, every single game should be a win-or-lose thing at the World Cup. Teams shouldn't even consider sparing their best players in any game.

Any news on the DVD?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 AM   #224
Refugee

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mandy1973
...Only 13 hours until Australia v Croatia!! I'm getting butterflies in my stomach already thinking about it!! I bet i won't be able to get to sleep, I'll probably still be lying awake when the alarm goes off at 4:15 tomorrow morning for the game!!!
No..........I s'pose though,by the time you have a shower and stuff!

C'MON,AUSSIE,C'MON,C'MON!!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mandy1973
...when the alarm goes off at 4:15 tomorrow morning for the game!!!
4:15?, just to hear the SBS commentators talk about crap, although I guess they usually put something interesting on when Australia is playing. I'm getting up at 4:30 and driving to a mates place. (for the Plasma screen!!)

Good Luck Socceroos!