Interference World Cup thread #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbarrick, the Croats promised so much after beating Argentina in a friendly a couple of months ago, toping their qualifying table and a spirited performance against Brazil. They wouldn't have been in this mess if they beat Japan, but they gone and left it 'til the last minute. :rant:

If they scored another after their first goal, they are just so wasteful. And to think I had high hopes on them after their performance against Brazil. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

In other news, I'm glad that:
1/Ronaldo has finally scored a goal,
2/Japan were leading Brazil for a time back there
3/Ghana, the first African nation through after another Eastern European team who had promised so much in their opening game threw it away
4/I'm starting to find ITV's sponsor depicting the American presenters who know little about soccer is actually amusing
5/ I spotted an Irishmen wearing a Croatian shirt

The BBC commentators really pissed me off tonight during the Brazil game. I've never heard two men kiss the ass of a football team so much before. It was like Japan didn't even take part in the game. At least show a little bit of respect for Brazils opponents.

Pair of clowns :mad:

was it Motson & Lawro?

J_NP said:

Did anybody except australians watched the game ..... Heard it was a war on field , I heard there was several cards , few red .

i watched it, didn't seem like a war to me.

it was definitely less of a war than the USA vs Italy game.

can anyone tell me why Schwarzer (sp?) wasn't playing???

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we're through to the round of 16. (take that bruce arena you jerk. Sorry but he deserves that bad luck to the USA though) Schwarzer didn't play because Kalac is suppose to be better of free kicks and corners but he made some dodgy saves tonight i'm not going to sleep now lol until after the next game that is and Hiddink beat Italy last time with korea so why can't we

U2@NYC said:

An English referee... embarassing.

Pretty bad for the image of English soccer.

He's not too bad of a ref in the Premier League so it's very surprising. One of the commentators was absolutely right in saying that he lost complete lost control of the game in the last minute. It was so chaotic, and that was the embarrassing aspect. I believe there still might be some conjecture of whether it was 2 or 3 yellows, but certainly there were 2 outright penalties Australia were denied, and then in the dying seconds, when he was issued his 2nd/3rd yellow, the penalty was not given (though the time was up anyway). The players seemed to have no idea what was going on, the crowd were confused, and I'm expecting we weren't the only viewers wondering what the hell was going on. Meanwhile, Mr Poll was discussing god knows what and the game should have been declared over. Still, I'm glad afterall. The Croatians as well will have their share to complain about, too. I cant recall what exactly, but it was rather lopsided reffing. FIFA will have a lot to say about this.

i'm sick of hearing about ronaldo's weight.

if you're fat, you can't play. it's as simple as that.

the media and some of you are ludicrous. you have no idea what fat is. none.

the rockin edge said:
can anyone tell me why Schwarzer (sp?) wasn't playing???

Well, apparently Kalac was chosen for his height advantage, he's about 6ft7 I think. Not that his height helped him when he was on the ground scrambling for the ball!!

Anyhow - what a game!! It had everything!! I have to say though, in all my years of watching football, I have never seen such a dismal dismay of refereeing - as a text i got during the game said "FIFA should have his balls on a plate!! How can an experienced ref 'forget' how many yellow cards he's given a player? Isn't that what the fourth official is meant to be for - to correct errors like that? And don't even get me started on the blatant handball against us!!!

Anyway, I'm deleriously tired, been up since 4:15 this morning, and tried in vain to get back to sleep after the game but was WAY too hyper!!:hyper: :hyper:

Bring on Italy on tuesday morning - should be a great game. I feel a 'sickie' coming on, I'm meant to be working a night duty Mon night - but i'm not missing this game for ANYTHING!!!

Cheers,
Mandy (one VERY happy Aussie!!)

All's well ends well!
:wink:

viduka.jpg

Anyway, I'm deleriously tired, been up since 4:15 this morning, and tried in vain to get back to sleep after the game but was WAY too hyper!!

Bring on Italy on tuesday morning - should be a great game. I feel a 'sickie' coming on, I'm meant to be working a night duty Mon night - but i'm not missing this game for ANYTHING!!!

Here, here!! It's all good fun and it helps that they're all big spunks as well. (tee hee, just kidding, I take it as seriously as the next person)

I don't think Ronaldo is fat, but as great a player as he still is it can't be denied that he can't even make a sprint anymore
against better oposition Brasil might get in trouble playing Ronaldo when in this shape

Posted this a while back.

The secret's out - the Socceroos were ordinary in their World Cup warm-up match against Liechtenstein because they had eaten too much.

At least, that's the verdict of Lothar Eiermann, the director of Camp Socceroo - the five-star Wald and Schlosshotel in Friedrichsruhe.

The Australian media were invited to take a tour of the hotel today and Mr Eiermann told the assembled throng he wasn't surprised the Socceroos started so slowly against the Liechtensteiners.

His theory is that the players had eaten so much, it took them 20 minutes to run it off. "One player had three steaks on one plate, but we have very good steaks," Mr Eiermann said.

Guess who?

That said I don't dislike Viduka because he's fat (which he isn't, to be perfectly honest, I just thought it was a funny story to bring up and all that Ronaldo taunting was getting a bit annoying - Ronaldo's hardly bigger than Viduka here). I dislike him because he gets on my nerves, for his very poor attitude up in Scotland, for dropping the 'o' from his first name, and for his Leeds connections.

Still, congratulations to you lot for making it. I wonder if Christian and Max Vieri were taken on by their respective international sides...might have made for an interesting encounter.

Salome said:
I don't think Ronaldo is fat, but as great a player as he still is it can't be denied that he can't even make a sprint anymore
against better oposition Brasil might get in trouble playing Ronaldo when in this shape

:up:

No disrespect, but Brazil has not yet played any of the top teams so far. They should have a nice test in the quarterfinals if they face Spain.

That gives Ronaldo a couple of days to chug a few more burgers... :D

DignityPassesBy said:
Hiddink beat Italy last time with korea so why can't we

Well, anything is possible in the World Cup.

I, however, think that Italy is stronger this time around and that they can go far in this tournament. But, hey, in 90 minutes anything can happen.

bayernfc said:
BTW, are you guys as sick of the "I don't know anything about football...but GO BRAZIL so-called fans" as I am? For god's sake if you're supporting a team know something about the game first. Ok, end of rant, move along.

Incredibly sick. :up: :mad:

They are bandwagoners that know that Brazil is the biggest favorite and want to have an excuse to celebrate. It happened to me at the cafeteria yesterday where there were like 200 people watching the game and cheering for Brazil, and less than 30 were Brazilians, including two security guards, that were from Azerbaijan and Pakistan, respectively.

I took a little revenge by yelling like crazy when Japan scored... :D although I knew that it could not last for long.

I thought Argentina was the biggest favourite this time :confused:

Rule number 1: If your own country didn't qualify, always stick to the underdogs.

the Aussie - Italy match might result in the biggest upset of this World Cup (mostly because of the combination of Hiddink's genius and the Aussie sporting mentality)

but Italy wll probably score in the 4th minute and play the rest of the game to maintain their 1-0 advantage :D

I don't think anyone is the main favourite to win this World Cup
it's still up between about 5 teams :shrug:

It might just be me, but every time I see Bruce Arena interviewed, I see a condescending smarmy arrogant New Yorker you just want to punch until he bleeds...........

And as for those "I don't know soccer but I love Brazil" 'fans', they're really no different than the "I don't know soccer but I love Man Utd" or the "I don't know baseball but I love the Yankees" 'fans', so we all know where they belong on the evolutionary ladder.

I don't know much baseball but I do like the Yankees. They have some good players, and Hideki Matsui plays for them, so.

It's not really that big a problem. Brazil are a fun team to watch, why not as a neutral watch and root for them?

Brasil (arguably) plays some of th emost attractive footbal in the world
so I agree you can't really blame neutral watchers to support them

The Netherlands are gonna join the rest of the world with playing the dead boring variety of football, but this time we shall try to go all the way :D

Last edited:
I have nothing against the neutral watchers, hell, those can be the most fun audience.... it's those that are just not even soccer fans, claim the game is just too boring and should be reduced to just repeat of the goals scored, yet walk around with Brazil jerseys, but can't pick Ronaldo out of a line up.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents. Can't wait for tomorrow's matches. Germany-Sweden should be exciting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom