Interference Reading List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'Persepolis' by Marjane Satrapi--wonderful graphic novel about growing up female in Iran during the Revolution (autobiographical)

'Greedy Bastard Diary' by Eric Idle--funny and lightweight (for Monty Python fans)

'God & Politics' by Jim Wallis--supposedly the leading voice of the American 'spiritual left,' which is supposedly the next big thing in Democrat politics...

martha said:
I'm in the middle of Roddy Doyle's The Barrytown Trilogy. The first part was The Commitments, which had me laughing out loud. Now it's The Snapper, which is very good. :up:

Have you read Flann O'Brien? IMO, if you really like Doyle, you'd probably like him too. O'Brien is loonier and more of a satirist.

Re: Re: Interference Reading List

paxetaurora said:

I'm STILL reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's almost 700 pages of a whole different kind of history--the history of revolutions, labor strikes, and rebellions, told with an emphasis on the actions and experiences of slaves, Native Americans, women, labor unions, radicals, communists, anarchists, hippies, draft dodgers, immigrants... It's a fascinating read, but I've been on it since just after New Year's and I'm kind of ready to move on. I'm into the Clinton presidency now (Zinn is REALLY critical of Clinton, incidentally), so I'm almost finished.

I read this book a while ago, and I found that the slowest part for me was all the civil war stuff. I'm not American, so I didn't really have much of a background in this regard and I found it to drag on and on endlessly. I still to this day remember reading his discussion about why is it people celebrate Columbus Day at all. I hadn't even thought about it before that.

ETA:

Martha - LOL! At least with Zinn, I don't get the feeling he loves the sound of his own voice like some of his contemporaries. Hello, Mr. MIT Professor....

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Interference Reading List

martha said:

My sympathies. He can be so very full of shit at times. :rolleyes:

Compared to the politicians and historians that are responsible for the propaganda you find in classroom textbooks, I'd say his bullshit ratio is pretty low.

Or you could compare him to the current U.S. administration, which is so full of shit it's seeping out every orifice.

laz

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I am currently enjoying Wicked: The Life & Times Of The Wicked Witch Of The West by Gregory Maguire,

Oooh I got this book as a gift and had to get rid of it :crack: Maguire constantly changed tenses and it drove me bananas to read - I didn't make it past page 20 or so. The story idea sounded awesome, too, but the incorrect usage was exhausting. (I remember a sentance like "she will ran to the field") ahh!!

I'm reading right now several books -
two for my short story class
"Daisy Miller" by Henry James
"The Awakening" by Kate Chopin :heart:

for fun:
"Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance" by Barack Obama
"Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner

plus I have about 5 others on the bedstand, waiting for me.

The Virgin Suicides, by Jeffrey Eugenides

good stuff.

also reading some theatre books on the avant-garde (specifically the work of Jerzy Grotowski and the Poor Theatre) for school.

I just reread "The Brothers K" by David James Duncan

BEST NOVEL EVER!

Someone just gave me "The Amazing Adventures of Cavelier and Clay" by Michael Chabon that I am enjoying very much.

Next I will start to read the Series of Unfortunate Events series. Has anyone else read these?

yolland said:
'Persepolis' by Marjane Satrapi--wonderful graphic novel about growing up female in Iran during the Revolution (autobiographical)

:heart: Wonderrrrful book!! Everyone should read it. That reminds me I need to get Part 2.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I've noticed that, too, Carrie, but I've looked past it and am focusing on the story, lol.

I'm somehow in the mood for rereading Gone With The Wind, but it's something that always hits me about twice a year, and I never manage to do it. :reject:

lol! I couldn't do it. :crack:

OOh Gone With the Wind! :heart: I read that ages ago, and the follow-up book. Gems! Now that I'm taking this short story class I'm being exposed to a lot of fantastic literature that I never studied before- and since I want to read them, they are even more enjoyable.

I also remebered I finished last month "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss :heart: :wink:

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Incredible, but can't finish it.......not meant to be a joke, if you've read it you'll understand)

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

Xavier

gabriel garcia marquez. nice choice, xavier.

i'm just starting his living to tell the tale.

as for kerouac, a patron recently donated a beautiful copy of some of the dharma, kerouac's notes and journals on buddhism, but i already own one.

it's a beautiful copy, brand new. i should send it to you.

yes you should send it,
jk..........actually if you have any knowledge of where I would be able to find rare books (first editions and the like..), I'd really appreciate it....I've always wondered how much a first edition Kerouac or Hemingway would cost

Xavier

i'm not kidding. i'll send it.

people donate books all the time to the library where i work. since we don't put the donated items into the collection, we usually go through them, take what we want, and sell the rest at our annual book sale. and since i'm the only one of our staff with any taste in literature, i usually end up with the good stuff.

first editions are rare, but if there are any specific works you are looking for, let me know, and i'll keep an eye out for them.

dandy said:

that's on my list of things i want to get. i read 'fall on your knees'...uh, longer ago than i care to remember now that i think about it... and i fell in love. one of canada's best authors.

:up:

Fall on your knees was very good but so far this isn't even half as bleak...thankfully actually!

ladywithspinninghead said:

Fall on your knees was very good but so far this isn't even half as bleak...thankfully actually!

:drool:

ack, i've bought about 10 new books already this year (not to mention the bunch i got for christmas), and now i want this too! so many books, so little time...

"Fall on your knees" :crack: I couldn't get through this one either.

(I never used to not finish a book I started- but now my time is more precious I can't spend it on tedious books :lol: )

David Sedaris :up:

I just started on and am already halfway through with Chuck Klosterman's Fargo Rock City. Hilarious, hilarious stuff. :up:

And I just ordered a shitload of books from Amazon.com, with a trip to Borders planned for the weekend. :help:

beegee, I am going to finally look for Cruddy. Promise. :yes:

I'm all about Sylvia Plath...I'm working on her Collected Poems and Johnny Panic And The Bible Of Dreams.

good stuff!

Bonochick said:
I'm all about Sylvia Plath...I'm working on her Collected Poems and Johnny Panic And The Bible Of Dreams.

I heard there's an awesome song written about her, too....

;) :D

Most of my reading right now revolves around my physics, chemistry and bio text books, along with some MCAT prep books. I do have a bio on Lincoln next to my bed, but I have not read it much in the last two weeks.

Other recent reads include
Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven
and Book on MLK and Malcom X

Back
Top Bottom