Interference Random Music Thread XIII: THE RAN! dom Music Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cool. i'll get on it.

had a rather chilled, but awesome experience tonight. with nothing to do on a Friday night i drove around listening to Endtroducing... it was terrific.

Old fart moment at the gym this morning: The first song was playing on the ipod, and it starts out low. I can't hear it in the 'phones, so I check the volume level and then I bring the ipod up to my ear to check if I can hear it. When it crashed into my headphones, I lol'd.

BSS, Panda, Girls, and Bear in Heaven added to P4K Fest. That lineup is looking pretty stacked now.

thinking about getting a Pavement cd, seeing as they're in town.

this new best of that's out, or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain?

If you don't like Crooked Rain, I highly doubt you'll like Wowee Zowee. Easily their most accessible and pretty much does function as a best of.

BSS, Panda, Girls, and Bear in Heaven added to P4K Fest. That lineup is looking pretty stacked now.

Word. I'm hoping this means BSS will add a Minneapolis date, like The National did last year; they've got time around Pitchfork to do it and all.

If you don't like Crooked Rain, I highly doubt you'll like Wowee Zowee. Easily their most accessible and pretty much does function as a best of.

How does it function as a best of? And it's the most accessible for fans of straightforward rock, maybe, but it has a limited palette. On those grounds Terror Twilight would be more accessible anyway. If one is into other stuff, like a little country, some post-punk, some Sonic Youth stylings, or more playful material, then I'd send them to the album that most shows what Pavement is capable of.

I second this. Go with Crooked Rain.

Shut up, foo'.

How does it function as a best of?.

Because Elevate Me Later, Cut Your Hair, Gold Soundz, Range Life, and Fillmore Jive are on it. Nearly half the album is solid gold. You can't say that any other Pavement album has such a strong classic-to-good ratio.

Oh yes I can. I think Brighten The Corners is a stronger album. The only weak song on there is Passat Dream (Stairs, of course) and it's nowhere near an offensive album-killer like Hit The Plane Down, and We Are Underused is merely good. The rest of the songs are various degrees of great to phenomenal:

Stereo
Shady Lane
Transport Is Arranged
Date With Ikea
Old To Begin
Type Slowly
Embassy Row
Blue Hawaiian
Starlings of the Slipstream
Fin

While the CRCR songs you listed are as good or better than anything here, Stop Breathing, Heaven Is A Truck and Newark-Wilder pale in comparison to the mellow stuff on BTC. The only one of those three that I would even think of calling great is the first one, and I'm not even sure about that. Even if you take issue with a few of those, I listen TEN compared to the five that you did.

Lastly, Fin's outro contains the greatest guitar work that Malkmus ever recorded while in the band.

Seems weird to start with anything other than Slanted & Enchanted to me album wise, but I'd probably just do the compilation if I was entirely new to the band and just wanted an overview.

Laz and Shouter are the only people I know who love Wowee Zowee. :shh:

I don't like you either!

starwarsanewhope-00000473.jpg

I don't know if anyone else will care, but I just found out that Blaqk Audio is going to release another album either this year or early next, and my heart is all aflutter.

I don't know if anyone else will care, but I just found out that Blaqk Audio is going to release another album either this year or early next, and my heart is all aflutter.

Oh you and the synth. If only Davey Havoc wasn't the singer....

So I'm listening to Fleet Foxes for the first time in a few months, and I still love them to death. It really is too bad they were douchebags to some of my friends way back before they were called Fleet Foxes when they opened for my friends. Incidentally, I'm now in the band that pre-Fleet Foxes opened for (to whom Robin and Sky were douchetastic, apparently).

Anyway, I made this playlist and love every minute of it (yes, even the alternate version of Mykonos)

01. Mykonos (alternate version)
02. Isles
03. Sun It Rises
04. White Winter Hymnal
05. Ragged Wood
06. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
07. Quiet Houses
08. He Doesn't Know Why
09. Heard Them Stirring
10. Your Protector
11. Meadowlark
12. Blue Ridge Mountains
13. Oliver James
14. Sun Giant
15. Drops In The River
16. English House
17. Mykonos
18. Innocent Son

I know... not very creative. Two tracks from alternate EP, album, EP.

Speaking of Pavement, Brighten the Corners rocked my world today. It's the first time I've heard it in its entirety, which gives me more incentive to do the same with their other albums not named Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, which already got the complete listen treatment. I'd rate Brighten above that one by just a hair, too.

Is it bad that the Geddy Lee lyrics in "Stereo" made me think of the Rush fanatic who used to post on here? Probably.

So, I've never heard a single Sparklehorse song that I can recall at this moment, and I'd been planning on listening to the work he did with Danger Mouse... but apparently the singer/multi-instrumentalist Mark Linkous killed himself. How very sad. I'll have to listen soon. :sad:

Speaking of Pavement, Brighten the Corners rocked my world today. It's the first time I've heard it in its entirety, which gives me more incentive to do the same with their other albums not named Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, which already got the complete listen treatment. I'd rate Brighten above that one by just a hair, too.

Is it bad that the Geddy Lee lyrics in "Stereo" made me think of the Rush fanatic who used to post on here? Probably.

Lyrically, I think this is easily S.M.'s best album. Rhyming "starlings in the slipstream" with "darlings on the split-screen" = genius.

So, I've never heard a single Sparklehorse song that I can recall at this moment, and I'd been planning on listening to the work he did with Danger Mouse... but apparently the singer/multi-instrumentalist Mark Linkous killed himself. How very sad.

Oh shit :ohmy: That's terrible news indeed :sad:

It’s A Wonderful Life is one of my all-time favourite albums.

Back
Top Bottom