Interference Random Music Thread XIII: THE RAN! dom Music Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another Green World is the finest album Brian Eno ever made, and I'm tempted to include U2's work in there also. It's a series of beautiful ambient snapshots that speak so much with such economy, and the more traditional pop songs are terrific. And how about Robert Fripp on Golden Hours? Fuckmazing.

51Ey4D%2BQiyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

One of my top ten albums.

:ohmy: what's that you say Bonnie?

i'll be eternally jealous you got to see Bowie, not to mention with Something for Kate opening for them.

Took you long enough.

Bout damn time.

:lol: sorry people!

Race for the Prize & The Spark That Bled tipped me into loving Soft Bulletin, on top of a bunch of other really amazing tracks.

Another Green World is just a downright captivating listen from start to finish. I never used to be a fan of instrumentals, but Eno & friends are just masterful on this record.

Golden Hours, Becalmed, In Dark Trees, Zawinul/Lava, the title track...

I don't know much of Fripp, but his solo in St Elmo's Fire is fantastic.

:ohmy: what's that you say Bonnie?

i'll be eternally jealous you got to see Bowie, not to mention with Something for Kate opening for them.

I wish I knew more. Just heard there's a rumour flying around that he's sick, there's been rebuttals from officials but you know how much that can mean. Honestly, I expect he's fine, and egg shall be on my face.

But just in case, I didn't do it.

I haven't heard anything by Brian Eno. That is to say something he's made and not simply produced (or had a part in, like Passengers).

woah, looks like I was temporarily possessed by a socialite when writing that post

I thought the joke was always "In Soviet Russia..." What is the "Mother Russia" nonsense? Internet fail.

THE PAVE!

First reunion show setlist:

In the Mouth a Desert
Trigger Cut
Ell Ess Two
Shady Lane
Father to a Sister of Thought
Rattled by the Rush
Perfume-V
Summer Babe
Kennel District
Silence Kit
Range Life
Unfair
Stop Breathin'
No Life Singed Her
Fight This Generation
Date w/ IKEA
Box Elder
Grounded
Gold Soundz
The Hexx
Give It a Day
Cut Your Hair
Stereo
Spit on a Stranger

Rumored:

Conduit for Sale
Loretta's Scars
Here

Decently divided I guess, seven songs from CRCR, five from WZ, though supposedly eight (plus another old single with Box Elder) from S&E is a bit much. BTC could have got a little more attention than just Stereo, Date w/ Idea and Shady Lane, and of course TT only gets two tracks (not surprising). I don't like the bias towards older material though the majority of the band's fans are obtuse indie rock buffoons who always think a band's earlier work is better, so I'm fighting a losing battle by hoping it would be different.

Discuss.

No "Harness Your Hopes?" Come on!

I'm excited to hear what they did with Broken Social Scene.

I would have been surprised to hear Harness, though they did play Give It A Day, which is another EP track.

Honestly, the song that pleased me the most to see is The Hexx. Everything else was pretty damned obvious. Supposedly they rehearsed around 40 songs, so we should be seeing some variety.

I don't mean to offend, but I'm legitimately angry that people on a U2 forum aren't familiar with Eno's solo work, the best of which beyond soundly bests nearly everything that U2 has ever done. Get on it, for fuck's sake! I'm not yelling at you--I'm trying to help you. You can't begin to imagine how much you're missing. Best artist of the '70s, bar none...and it's not like there wasn't competition! These barely even scratch the surface, and there are dozens of other songs that other people (or even I) could recommend with at least as much justification. Spectacular.

YouTube - Eno - Burning Airlines Give You So Much More (1974)

YouTube - Earth (Brian Eno's An Ending)

YouTube - Brian Eno - I'll Come Running

YouTube - Taking Tiger Mountain

YouTube - Mother Whale Eyeless

YouTube - Brian Eno - Needles In the Camels Eye (Remastered)

You cannot even begin to imagine how much "Mother Whale Eyeless" (perhaps the quintessential Eno track, as it features basically every last one of his tricks/tics in absolute peak form) does for me.

And there's of course "Virginia Plain," one of the greatest songs in the history of popular music, and the best ever combination of Eno's vision with that of another (in this case, the one-time genius Bryan Ferry)...in this case resulting in a song who's true composer is impossible to identify and which is literally perfect. It has everything an Eno song needs/has and everything a Ferry song needs/has (or needed/had, as both dudes are pretty useless, these days), and it's better than everything else either of them ever did, in spite of many dizzying highs, in the years to come:

YouTube - Roxy Music - Virginia Plain (Live TOTP 1972)

And that's not even the studio version! God damn.

THE PAVE!

First reunion show setlist:

In the Mouth a Desert
Trigger Cut
Ell Ess Two
Shady Lane
Father to a Sister of Thought
Rattled by the Rush
Perfume-V
Summer Babe
Kennel District
Silence Kit
Range Life
Unfair
Stop Breathin'
No Life Singed Her
Fight This Generation
Date w/ IKEA
Box Elder
Grounded
Gold Soundz
The Hexx
Give It a Day
Cut Your Hair
Stereo
Spit on a Stranger

Rumored:

Conduit for Sale
Loretta's Scars
Here

Decently divided I guess, seven songs from CRCR, five from WZ, though supposedly eight (plus another old single with Box Elder) from S&E is a bit much. BTC could have got a little more attention than just Stereo, Date w/ Idea and Shady Lane, and of course TT only gets two tracks (not surprising). I don't like the bias towards older material though the majority of the band's fans are obtuse indie rock buffoons who always think a band's earlier work is better, so I'm fighting a losing battle by hoping it would be different.

Discuss.

Not bad. I could do without as much of the S&E stuff, but that's just me. P-fork's got shoddy Youtube video up from the show too. If THE MALK! dances around like this during the Pitchfork Festival and the Minneapolis show, my life will officially be fucking made.

YouTube - Pavement - Auckland Town Hall - Cut Your Hair

I support that setlist pretty wholeheartedly, I must say. And given that Slanted & Enchanted is all but perfect, I say the more the merrier! Really, though, I'll be pretty happy as long as they don't play all of the last two records and then just call it a night. Glad that the best Stairs songs made the cut, too. I'd be hella-sad if I went home without hearing "Kennel District" and "IKEA." Nice icing on the cake.

Painted Soldiers is a better Stairs song than IKEA, but agreed on Kennel District.

And I hope you weren't implying that NOTHING from the last two albums should be played.

Back
Top Bottom