Interference Random Music Thread XII: GAF and the Liquid Courage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Big Star write-up, Imperor.

Bonus points for the Joni Mitchell mention.

One correction, though: The Bangles album is called A Different Light.

Just sayin'.

Nice Big Star write-up, Imperor.

Bonus points for the Joni Mitchell mention.

One correction, though: The Bangles album is called A Different Light.

Just sayin'.

Twas me that wrote it, not Impy. :wink: I don't even think he posted last night.

Yeah, let me edit. There were a couple of smaller problems, like titling the album "3rd/Sister Lovers" when the spelling of 3rd was changed to Third upon the "Sister Lovers" being added to the title.

Somehow, I ended up DJing and drumming last night.

Dirty Projectors. TV on the Radio. LCD Soundsystem. They were all included.

I DJ'd a performance of Stillness Is the Move. I was playing synthesizer along with it.

I played drums to Losing My Edge. Somehow, it worked. It should be noted that while I play guitar, I do not play drums. I don't know what happened.

I also DJ'd a performance of Wolf Like Me, which was more typical DJ-work: adding in loops and beats as opposed to synthing.

So, in summary, Rock Band can suck it. TAKE THAT, ESTABLISHMENT!

There's nothing quite like being awake due to insomnia, it being 4:30am, going outside on the porch to have a smoke, all while listening to "Your Hand in Mine" and watching the empty streets in the dead of winter. Two thumbs up.

I'll give it one thumb, on account of my violent aversion to cigarillos. One hearty thumb, though.

I will give two to deez nuts, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh45Rz76nsc

Easily my least favorite Velvets record, Loaded, but hot damn do I still LOOOOOOOOOOVE this thing. I love putting on a favorite record...well, not just a favorite record, but a record to which you've listened literally hundreds of times and know better than inside and out. I love putting on one of those records, because even though it can have been a few months or a few years since I last listened, it all just explodes on me, within seconds of starting. It's like we never parted ways. There are many records like this, for me. The entire Velvets discography is one of them. We'll be best friends forever, even if we don't talk more than a few times a year, these days. Brilliant.

I'm surprised it's your favorite, as many VU fans consider it the weakest. My love for this album knows no bounds, and it's prob somewhere in my personal Top 20.

A bit of as shame, though, that Doug Yule sings lead vocals on about half the album (even if he manages to sound almost exactly like Reed), and that Mo Tucker gets credit for something she didn't even play on.

I've only listened to VU & Nico, but I wasn't really blown away by it. Do I need to give it more listens/listen to other VU to get a clearer picture?

History says, "Yes." One of the most notorious "worth the effort" bands, even if the effort they require pretty well pales in comparison to other, now-commonplace difficult music, these days. Lucky for you, they only have four studio albums. Listen to each of them a few times, and see where that takes you. Back in the day, I for some reason started with Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, then did Loaded (it's a good starting point, and EASILY their most digestible), and then went chronologically. You likely needn't bother with MMM, but there you go. Peel Slowly and See is probably the most essential box set ever released.

There's nothing quite like being awake due to insomnia, it being 4:30am, going outside on the porch to have a smoke, all while listening to "Your Hand in Mine" and watching the empty streets in the dead of winter. Two thumbs up.

Ha, I relate to just about all of this, minus one part.

:)

But, yes, the 4am hour combined with that lack of sleep feeling, and a wintry landscape is awfully unique and powerful.

I've only listened to VU & Nico, but I wasn't really blown away by it. Do I need to give it more listens/listen to other VU to get a clearer picture?

Give their other albums a chance. I didn't get into the VU until I listened to all of White Light / White Heat. If you don't like "Sister Ray," I will punch you in the teeth.

Give their other albums a chance. I didn't get into the VU until I listened to all of White Light / White Heat. If you don't like "Sister Ray," I will punch you in the teeth.
I'll be prepared to enjoy it or employ use of a mouthguard.

White Light/White Heat is one of my five favorite records of all time. The other three are all AT LEAST in the top 50-75ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom