Interference Random Music Thread Part IX: Guys! THE PEEF DAWG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Step 1: Cut a hole in a box

Step 2:
Weegadiboo.jpg

From the prior thread:

Originally Posted by lazarus

"Songs better on the album:

Still Haven't Found Cock I'm Looking For
With or Without Cock
Shuttling to Stand Still
In God's Cock-Tree
Angel of Hardcourt
All I Want is Cock

All of Achtung Birdie, with the exception of Ultraracquet, Won, and maybe Mysterious Plays.

All of Cockropa, with the exception of Dirty Play.

All of Poppycock, with the exception of Mo'Cock, and Last Night on Clay.

Beautiful Play
Serve On
In A Little Rally
Love and Peace or Cock
Original of the Birdies
Cockweh

...and I'll reserve judgement for now on the new stuff, but probably the title track, Swing, and Unknown Partner."

NSW says:

I think that for a lot of these, my opinion depends if we're talking how the band performs the song now, or at any point.

Cos the JT versions of With or Without You are amazing.

I'm likely in the vast minority here, but the Zoo TV rendition of Running to Stand Still was fantastic.

In god's country I disagree with completely.

Agree on Angel of Harlem, even though it's a fun sing along tune in concert.

Agree on All I Want is You.

For Achtung Baby, Until the End of the World is great Live. I think it's a rare U2 song that's no better or worse when you compare Live to studio. It's just awesome on both. Ultraviolet is better Live. Zoo Station, especially on Vertigo tour, was better Live. The Fly was great but I still prefer the studio version. One was better live we're just all tired of it.

Disagree on some of Zooropa. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car is a favorite of mine from the Australia DVD. Full band Stay is great but not quite as great as the album version, agreed.

Agreed on Pop. Mofo is soooooooooo fucking much better Live. That song is insane.

Can't really argue with the rest except for Love and Peace or Else.

And of course there's Pride.

Personally, I'm still a little taken aback by GAF thinking Ultraviolet was mediocre at the show. That shit was epic.

Also, I think every live version of One, even in it's prime, lacks a certain something, I don't even know what to call it, but I'll be cheesy like Bono and call it magic/God walking into the room, that the studio version has. I think it might even be their finest studio moment.

Re: Laz's latest VWilcock thing:

Phoenix was in a Cadillac commercial I saw last night. Discuss.

My thoughts: who gives a shit?

I now personally hate all of France, and any sort of mythological bird.

Personally, I'm still a little taken aback by GAF thinking Ultraviolet was mediocre at the show. That shit was epic.

It's hard to explain but it was just such an anti-climax for me. I feel like the entire encore (UV, WOWY, MOS) was anti-climactic. I was so physically and emotionally and mentally spent from singing and dancing my balls off to Streets that when the encore started it was like..."Oh hey, they're back. And there's the intro to Ultraviolet...cool, I guess."

It was still great to see, but I just had nothing left in the tank.

I'll quickly try to rank the the top moments for me from the show:

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. The Unforgettable Fire (I surprised myself by how moved I was by this song/performance)
3. Until the End of the World -> Stay (flat out two of their greatest songs)
4. Your Blue Room (surreal...for lack of a better word)
5. Walk On (Burma! Yay!)
6. Beautiful Day -> Still Haven't Found (crowd-pleasing pop loveliness)
7. One (if Desmond Tutu says something to me, I listen)
8. Breathe (mainly because I was the only one in my section not sitting down)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (this rocked pretty hard)
10. Ultraviolet

11. Everything else

666. Unknown Caller

It's hard to explain but it was just such an anti-climax for me. I feel like the entire encore (UV, WOWY, MOS) was anti-climactic. I was so physically and emotionally and mentally spent from singing and dancing my balls off to Streets that when the encore started it was like..."Oh hey, they're back. And there's the intro to Ultraviolet...cool, I guess."

It was still great to see, but I just had nothing left in the tank.

I'll quickly try to rank the the top moments for me from the show:

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. The Unforgettable Fire (I surprised myself by how moved I was by this song/performance)
3. Until the End of the World -> Stay (flat out two of their greatest songs)
4. Your Blue Room (surreal...for lack of a better word)
5. Walk On (Burma! Yay!)
6. Beautiful Day -> Still Haven't Found (crowd-pleasing pop loveliness)
7. One (if Desmond Tutu says something to me, I listen)
8. Breathe (mainly because I was the only one in my section not sitting down)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (this rocked pretty hard)
10. Ultraviolet

11. Everything else

666. Unknown Caller

Unsurprisingly, I can get with some of this and I disagree with others. Though the order would be different, hard to argue with 1-4. I'd have NLOTH on my top 10. UF has been moving for me every time, especially the first time, and this particular show cos it looked like UTEOTW had bumped it out.

6 and 7, ugh, fuck, no thanks, and of course I do not agree with the Satan call.

Unsurprisingly, I can get with some of this and I disagree with others. Though the order would be different, hard to argue with 1-4. I'd have NLOTH on my top 10. UF has been moving for me every time, especially the first time, and this particular show cos it looked like UTEOTW had bumped it out.

6 and 7, ugh, fuck, no thanks, and of course I do not agree with the Satan call.

i couldn't even begin to organise a top ten over two nights. unknown caller would definitely make it. most of the highlights would easily come from the second night, but bad was definitely a moment that was hard to top.

i could rank how the no line songs translate live, and i shall now do that.

unknown caller
no line on the horizon
get on your boots
magnificent
moment of surrender
breathe

i can't really rank crazy tonight because it's just so intentionally different. i'm not saying breathe is bad either, it's highly enjoyable, but just after getting the crowd all psyched up with kingdom and appearing on stage, a slower rocker just doesn't feel quite right. get on your boots is just so much better live it's unbelievable.

Also, I think every live version of One, even in it's prime, lacks a certain something, I don't even know what to call it, but I'll be cheesy like Bono and call it magic/God walking into the room, that the studio version has.

I'm the opposite, I feel that just about every live version of One I've heard is better than the album track. Mostly because I never liked Bono's vocals on the studio version - too forced and nasally.

Re: Laz's latest VWilcock thing:

Phoenix was in a Cadillac commercial I saw last night. Discuss.

My thoughts: who gives a shit?

Difference is that Phoenix isn't held up as some kind of Indie People's Champion Who Were Screwed By The Record Company But Managed To Release Their OMG Masterpiece Anyway!!

And the problem wasn't VWilcock doing the commercial (though I'm surprised with all their touring they aren't well-off enough). It was their pathetic rationalization about how some of them drive VWs and they're great cars. Take your money and shut up, whores.

Pearl Jam is what everyone thinks VWilcock is.

i'm not saying breathe is bad either, it's highly enjoyable, but just after getting the crowd all psyched up with kingdom and appearing on stage, a slower rocker just doesn't feel quite right. get on your boots is just so much better live it's unbelievable.

I haven't actually experienced it yet, but this has been my issue with Swing as an opener since it was suggested. I still think the title track would be better.

Also, I think every live version of One, even in it's prime, lacks a certain something, I don't even know what to call it, but I'll be cheesy like Bono and call it magic/God walking into the room, that the studio version has. I think it might even be their finest studio moment.

It is a fantastic recording, but I will say I love the "hear us serving love, double-fault...", which really puts those occasional live versions over the top. The generic, Poetry 101 couplet occasionally added to With Or Without Cock that everyone creams over? Not so much.

I haven't actually experienced it yet, but this has been my issue with Swing as an opener since it was suggested. I still think the title track would be better.

i fully endorse the title track as well. i'm very impressed at how well it went down with the crowd and overall how good it was.

it was already my favourite track off the album, so it was really nice to see it make that jump live.

"hear us serving love, double-fault..."

HA!

I need to listen to the bootlegs for Ultraviolet from this tour. I remember jumping up and down and being thrilled about it, but I don't think I really listened to it, so I couldn't tell you how it sounded.

... which of course means that I was too busy trying to get a decent picture of Bono and his monkey antics on the wheel-mike. Lesson learned.

Would that be a general ad for Target, or an ad for the album being on sale there?

Because the latter is a distribution thing, not endorsing a product.

An ad with them playing a song in front of a bunch of Target ads is what it is.

It doesn't bother me at all, I'm just saying I think you take the VW thing way too seriously. Sure, the rationalization was spotty and probably a reach to maintain their credibility with the "sell out!" criers, but there's nothing wrong with the series of adverts.

Is that good or bad?

Both. We still dig each other quite a bit, but with the way our schedules work out and the places we're at in our lives, beginning as a long distance relationship wasn't the right thing to do. And we were starting to get frustrated with the way things have been working out as far as time. As it stands, the next good weekend for both of us is the 10th and 11th of October. So there's no sense in it.

So it's a good thing for the most part. We might figure things out when our lives are more stable. We might not. It's not that big of a deal.

Both. We still have really strong feelings for each other, but with the way our schedules work out and the places we're at in our lives, beginning as a long distance relationship isn't really working in our favor. And we were starting to get frustrated with the way things have been working out as far as time. As it stands, the next good weekend for both of us is the 10th and 11th of October. So there's no sense in it.

So it's a good thing for the most part. We might figure things out when our lives are more stable.

Well, sorry that it came to that, but at least you're parting ways mutually and on good terms. Timing is pretty much everything in life. And long distance is a bitch, yes.

An ad with them playing a song in front of a bunch of Target ads is what it is.

It doesn't bother me at all, I'm just saying I think you take the VW thing way too seriously. Sure, the rationalization was spotty and probably a reach to maintain their credibility with the "sell out!" criers, but there's nothing wrong with the series of adverts.

So the ad doesn't say anything about Backspacer? I'm confused.

Again, it's not the ads themselves, it's the pathetic excuses. I can't stand that these bores are viewed as indie heroes while Shuttlecock is reviled.

I like when I take the time to reply to Laz but there's no follow up.

:corn:

Back
Top Bottom