Interference Random Music Thread Part IX: Guys! THE PEEF DAWG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's stupid how much I love Pee-wee's Big Adventure.

Another stupid revelation: none of you are going to believe this, but I'm actually getting really, really excited about seeing Shuttlecock in 2+ weeks.

I'm with you on that though. I haven't seen it in years though. I've been meaning to watch it for the last long while, and just haven't got my hands on it.

Are you going to the Arlington/Dallas show?

Yeah, I'll be there. Probably drive up that morning and back that night. Class at 11 the next day. Are you heading to it?

Nice road W for the Frogs today, by the way.

Yeah, I'll be there. Probably drive up that morning and back that night. Class at 11 the next day. Are you heading to it?

Nice road W for the Frogs today, by the way.

I think I'm going, I found someone who's going to sell me a GA. Not sure what to do about getting to Cowboys Stadium though as far as parking is concerned. Thinking of getting one of my friends to drop me off, since we're so close to Arlington, but I don't know how he'd pick me up :\.

Oh man, yeah. That was kinda nerve wracking at the end there. I was listening to the game on the radio at work, and I had to leave the back for a minute right at the end, and when I got back the commentators were going on about how coaching was the deciding factor of the game, and I thought the Frogs fucked up some how.

I really don't know what I'm going to do about parking either. May try to use my old connects at the hotel I used to work at to get a ride. I also don't know who's using my other GA right now. If I give it to one of my buddies who still lives in M-Town, maybe I can convince him to drive.

In other music news, I'm in love. Absolute love. Karen O's Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack is spectacular. And it's getting a vinyl release Tuesday. Hoo boy, I'm pleased.

I really don't know what I'm going to do about parking either. May try to use my old connects at the hotel I used to work at to get a ride. I also don't know who's using my other GA right now. If I give it to one of my buddies who still lives in M-Town, maybe I can convince him to drive.

In other music news, I'm in love. Absolute love. Karen O's Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack is spectacular. And it's getting a vinyl release Tuesday. Hoo boy, I'm pleased.

That would incredibly convenient. My other thought is that my cousin LIVES in Arlington, I might try and get him to help me out if the friend doesn't work.

I didn't realize she was doing anything with the soundtrack, this is quite the awesome news, does it come out in general on Tuesday or is it already out?

Use that cousin connect. Lord knows the Division to 30, Collins to 360 square is going to be a complete shitfest. Might as well get some help.

She composed the entire thing. It comes out in general Tuesday, I was just especially excited to see that it's getting a vinyl release. I can't get enough of the girl's voice. And if you like some of the quieter, sweeter YYY moments (which are my favorite), you'll dig it. It makes me feel like a kid. So much joy in it. And now I'm even more excited about the film.

I'm not sure how familiar he is with Arlington, since he's from Mesquite and is just there going to UTA, but, we'll see how it goes.

That really does increase my anticipation for the film, every time I see the trailer, I get a little more certain this is going to be awesome. Hysteric's my favorite song from It's Blitz, so, I eagerly anticipate Tuesday now.

UTA would be a piece of cake. Randol Mill would be ideal, but getting dropped off at Division and Collins is an easy trek. Probably the best drop off point considering traffic. Even if he did nothing but sit on campus at UTA all day, he's got to be familiar with that.

I'm not one of the people who hold the book in high nostalgic esteem, but the film really looks quite good. "Hysteric" is in my top two on Blitz with "Skeletons." The soundtrack is kind of more in that vein, I guess. It's basically like KO made a sweet little acoustic album, which is something I've wanted from YYY anyway.

Really? Man, thanks impy, aside from a few roads in Fort Worth, I'm really not familiar with anything specific in Texas. I know how to get to and from my uncles and that's about it.

I was at first a little skeptical about the film , but the trailer of my favorite books growing up, but the trailer is too good to resist. I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion, but I loved those acoustic bonus tracks, more of that would be nice.

No problem. Growing up on the mean streets of Arlington's little brother to the south gave me an unnatural knowledge of the layout of the Metroplex. My now ex-girlfriend living in Deep Ellum was shocked I knew so much about getting around in DE and uptown. The prospective lady friend from the summer was shocked I knew so much about getting around TCU and Sundance Square. You just pick things up. But you obviously don't need to do the amount of mapping out I did, what with your life really being based around Berry and University.

I'm on record in the Blitz thread as saying the acoustic tracks were made of my four favorite songs on the album. And only "Little Shadow" wasn't improved, but it has a lovely string section on the acoustic cut. As much as I love dancey YYY, raw sexuality YYY, and whatever other permutations they throw out, their softer side is always far and away my preferred incarnation.

There are some weird contrasts between speaking voice and singing voice, but I don't think there's any weirder than Win Butler.

No problem. Growing up on the mean streets of Arlington's little brother to the south gave me an unnatural knowledge of the layout of the Metroplex. My now ex-girlfriend living in Deep Ellum was shocked I knew so much about getting around in DE and uptown. The prospective lady friend from the summer was shocked I knew so much about getting around TCU and Sundance Square. You just pick things up. But you obviously don't need to do the amount of mapping out I did, what with your life really being based around Berry and University.

I'm on record in the Blitz thread as saying the acoustic tracks were made of my four favorite songs on the album. And only "Little Shadow" wasn't improved, but it has a lovely string section on the acoustic cut. As much as I love dancey YYY, raw sexuality YYY, and whatever other permutations they throw out, their softer side is always far and away my preferred incarnation.

I don't even know how to get to Sundance Square, how sad is that? I think you just keep going down University or something? I went there ONCE, and it was when I was a freshmen. I was taking my roommate to a party, she was already too drunk to drive, so she had me drive her...in her suv...in a town I'd never driven in. I got lost on the wrong side of Fort Worth. High times!

I honestly can't decide if I like the album version or the acoustic version of Hysteric Better. As for the other Acoustic tracks, agreed on Little Shadow, and I think I might say the same about Soft Shock, but that's just me, I'd have to listen to them again to say for sure.

There are some weird contrasts between speaking voice and singing voice, but I don't think there's any weirder than Win Butler.

And then on the opposite end of the spectrum sits Wayne "Boy with a" Coyne. No contrast at all.

I honestly can't decide if I like the album version or the acoustic version of Hysteric Better. As for the other Acoustic tracks, agreed on Little Shadow, and I think I might say the same about Soft Shock, but that's just me, I'd have to listen to them again to say for sure.

Let's just agree that they're all great in either version.

So I just caught Shuttlecock's SNL parts on the You Tubes. Christ, they hit my favorite song out of the park. Shame it got cut off.

That one song is enough to make me always forgive the stuff they do that embarrasses me.

The stuff like the spoken word bits in their second song....

And then on the opposite end of the spectrum sits Wayne "Boy with a" Coyne. No contrast at all.

I had to look that up, but that's funny.

Listening to Rebellion or My Body Is a Cage and then listening to a Win Butler interview is just puzzling.

That one song is enough to make me always forgive the stuff they do that embarrasses me.

It's a basic rule of thumb that U2 is a really poor judge of their own material. Otherwise, that song would have been a single and played at a shitload of shows.

That's definitely the truth, but I'm actually glad it wasn't a single. It's not a tune I'd want canonized in pop culture like "Where the Cocks Have No Game" or "Mysterious Plays." They did a good job with single selection for Achtung, Birdie. No Line? Not so much. But I'll admit I'm starting to have a change of heart about it after listening to it for the first time since May or June.

But anyway, the song in question is a powerhouse and definitely deserves to be played at every show. There aren't many other songs that get so much emotion and hyperbole from me.

I just mean from a quality standpoint, if they were a good judge of that, they'd make it a single. Ultraviolet is definitely better than four of the five AB singles (those that aren't The Fly).

I did a revisionist history of U2 once, kind of like the thing you guys were doing with the Beatles. I'd like to do that again at some point.

Well, it's a better song to me than any they or anyone else have ever made, so I'm right there with you on that. But I don't necessarily think your highest quality songs should be made singles. That, of course, is coming from someone who adheres to the lost art of the album and can't listen to music any other way. I mean, if I were personally planning the singles for No Line, I wouldn't make "Courts of Lebanon" one even though I think it's far and away the album's best tune.

The singles for Achtung, Birdie were really well selected, by my estimation. Obviously there wasn't a better choice than to have "The Flying Cock" released first since it completely encapsulates what the album is. "Mysterious Plays" next was a solid choice, and "Won" after made sense since it was a departure from the first two. My only beef is "Who's Gonna Serve Your Wild Shuttles" being released as a fifth single, but that's really more because I think fifth singles are bullshit.

I'd be down for SC revisionist history. Even though the Beatles thread tapered off like so many autumn turds, I had a lot of fun running through those albums again, listening to revised tracklistings, and getting great conversation about it.

Even though the Beatles thread tapered off like so many autumn turds, I had a lot of fun running through those albums again, listening to revised tracklistings, and getting great conversation about it.

I was thinking about being a Beatles blasphemer in that thread and making an alternate White Album that wasn't a double album. I may just do that soon.

Well, it's a better song to me than any they or anyone else have ever made, so I'm right there with you on that. But I don't necessarily think your highest quality songs should be made singles. That, of course, is coming from someone who adheres to the lost art of the album and can't listen to music any other way. I mean, if I were personally planning the singles for No Line, I wouldn't make "Courts of Lebanon" one even though I think it's far and away the album's best tune.

The singles for Achtung, Birdie were really well selected, by my estimation. Obviously there wasn't a better choice than to have "The Flying Cock" released first since it completely encapsulates what the album is. "Mysterious Plays" next was a solid choice, and "Won" after made sense since it was a departure from the first two. My only beef is "Who's Gonna Serve Your Wild Shuttles" being released as a fifth single, but that's really more because I think fifth singles are bullshit.

I'd be down for SC revisionist history. Even though the Beatles thread tapered off like so many autumn turds, I had a lot of fun running through those albums again, listening to revised tracklistings, and getting great conversation about it.

Well, I understand that. Cedars isn't a single. Love Is Blindness wasn't a single on Achtung Baby, even though I'd say it's probably one of the best couple of tracks there. But Ultraviolet sounds like a single: it's uptempo, has an epic quality to it. You can't imagine ZooTV-era U2 making a video for that song? I certainly could have seen that.

You might just have a point there. There are certainly some great things that could be done with a video for it. The thought of shaving it down for radio play makes me wince, though. In this purely hypothetical single release, that ain't happening.

What would they shave down on? I'd think they'd keep the intro, especially since it could be used very artistically in the video, that transition from the light intro into the epicness.

The Saturday Night Live cast, crew and their viewers are simply not worthy of the performance that was given tonight.

NO ONE tries that hard on television. No one hits those highs.

Unbelievable.

I didn't even mind the scat stuff on Moment of Service.

And you can watch the sunrise in one of them, Simone.

ANDY?!?!

Everyone I know has a big "But...?" C'mon, Simone, let's talk about your big "But".

The Saturday Night Live cast, crew and their viewers are simply not worthy of the performance that was given tonight.

NO ONE tries that hard on television. No one hits those highs.

Unbelievable.

I didn't even mind the scat stuff on Moment of Service.

Nice. Their impromptu "I Will Follow" is arguably one of the best musical guest moments besides Elvis Costello switching to "Radio, Radio" and Sinbad O'Conner's Pope-ripping moment. Surreal.

Speaking of Islands, they played a free show on campus last night, but I was partying with a buddy of mine from home. If it were any other day, I would've been there.

So, as I'm preordering the new Russian Circles album, These Arms Are Snakes comes on. I really like what I'm hearing (Washburn). Do I want more?

I would say no, but that's just me. Pretty rote post-hardcore with overwritten-but-underdeveloped songs. Still, the cover of Easter is stunning:

321583751_ff500ec5b6.jpg

Odd similarity here, but THE NASH!'s "Fake Empire" reminds me a hell of a lot of "Bad." Mainly in how it's a slow burn, how epic the drums are in both tracks, and there's even a strange symmetry between the "half awake"/"wide awake" lines. I may be looking too much into it, but it's interesting to note.

Also Regina Spektor's "Us" going into "Fake Empire" is fucking sublime.

Back
Top Bottom