Interference Random Music Thread Part IX: Guys! THE PEEF DAWG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Strokes could never dream of being able to play the diverse range of styles Phoenix has already worked with (on their first album, even), let alone crafting great songs in all of them as well.

Have you guys even heard the first two albums? Because they really sound nothing like the last two.

Elephant may not be The White Stripes' best album after all. I used to be 100% certain it was, but listening now, I'm considerably less so. It's amazing, but De Stijl is just that good. It IS the best distillation of their career, however. It has everything you need in one shot.

You know what song is really gorgeous?

YouTube - The White Stripes - You've Got Her In Your Pocket

Definitely the major rediscovery I was hoping for with this listen. Kills my soul now, and I barely paid attention to it in the past.

I'll still take Elephant, if only for the blistering guitar work.

But yeah, the more I hear Destijl the more I like it better than White Blood Cells.

I'd rank them thusly:

Elephant
Get Behind Me Satan
De Stijl
Icky Thump
White Blood Cells
The White Stripes

But they're all grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

1a. Elephant
1b. De Stijl
3. Get Behind Me Satan
4. White Blood Cells
5. Icky Thump
6. The White Stripes

GBMS has grown on me a lot over the past few years. Icky Thump, not so much. I know this sounds petty, but the album was mastered FAR too loudly. The album lacks the mystery of previous releases, and just feels like a collection of songs to me. Guess I would classify it as their How To Manhandle An Atomic Serve.

Get Behind Me Satan is the worst, I think.

Well we're just going to have to agree to disagree, aren't we? I love the guitar sound on "Blue Orchid." The marimba giving way to those stabbing crashes in "The Nurse" is the shit. "My Doorbell" is jaunty and right up my alley, love the beat. "Forever For Her" makes me happy. "Little Ghost" sucks. "The Denial Twist" has a great groove (and a great music video to go along with it). "White Moon" is pretty slight, but I like the plaintive feel. "Instinct Blues" and "Red Rain" kick ass. "Take Take Take" is the kind of cheese I like. "Lonely" is all right.

Now that I'm going over it, maybe I overrated it a bit. But it's far from their worst for me. Plus there's a lot of sentimental attachment to a time and a place with that record.

If the first half of Icky Thump was as strong as the second, it'd be my number one. Everything "Little Cream Soda" on makes for my personal favorite side of any of their albums.

Now that I'm going over it, maybe I overrated it a bit

Uh-huh.

It's not a bad album, I just think it was recorded too quickly and doesn't have the range of treats that the previous and subsequent albums do.

If the first half of Icky Thump was as strong as the second, it'd be my number one. Everything "Little Cream Soda" on makes for my personal favorite side of any of their albums.

You Don't Know What Love Is? The title track? Conquest? Prickly Thorn?

Even if the second half is stronger, I'm not exactly itching to skip to it when I put the thing on.

So those motherfuckers at Shuttlecock.com ARE making us re-subscribe for new pre-sale codes.

I should have known better than to think otherwise.

i subscribed in march, you ripoff motherfuckers.

unfuckingbelievable. and given i don't know where i'm even going to be living next year, i don't know fucking anything about if i should risk the general sale like i did chicago, or need to buy tickets with the pre-sale code, which i can't fucking do if they all go on sale as early as these european tickets. fuck me.

My Stripes list:

Elephant
The White Stripes
De Stijl
White Blood Cells
Icky Thump
Satan

I loved the part in It Might Get Loud when Jack puts the coke bottle under the strings of his homemade guitar and says "There, who needs to buy a guitar"
And also when he and 'little' Jack White were singing Sitting On Top of the World.
Actually, I liked the film more whenever he was on :shrug:

So those motherfuckers at Shuttlecock.com ARE making us re-subscribe for new pre-sale codes.

I should have known better than to think otherwise.

I understand your frustration, laz, but am stunned that you ever thought, for even a second, that it would be otherwise. I mean, that sucks. But that's just how they roll. At least you'll get a CD of some readily available material as a bonus, right?

I'm a little torn - I did okay on my own getting tickets for the Vertigo tour, but I also really liked the less-stressful method of getting them early in the pre-sales. I know some folks had problems getting tickets they wanted for the shows they wanted, but it was way too easy for me.

I can understand others' frustration, but I'm not surprised - I kind of figured people would have to re-up to get new codes.

I still can't believe anyone would even consider paying for a U2.com membership.

I also agree with this, but primarily because all I care about is getting to shows. I don't care if I'm not in the front row. I have gotten tickets to every single show I've wanted to see, dating back to 1997. They've all been via public Ticketmaster sales, sometimes only days before a given show. Never been a problem.

If it's that important to you, than paying the subscription fee will buy you some peace of mind.

But learn from the dilly-dallying of the late subscribers and re-up early, or else you'll get stuck on the 3rd day of the presale and might not get what you want even after paying.

(assuming they run things like they did this time for the next leg)

Well, I think I did it right after the tour date announcement last time, and got a Swing code. So I was at least in the middle group, and got GAs for two fairly in-demand shows (Los Angeles and Vegas).

I just think it's ridiculous that they're starting this when they haven't even announced any U.S. dates for 2010. I imagine a lot of people won't re-up until they do so.

The big question is, why do they need all this money so soon? The tickets going on sale next month are for shows 11 months away!

Also, am I the only one with a strange desire to go to Moscow? That should be a pretty momentous show, and the city should be interesting to explore as well. I know the Istanbul show is probably going to be a hotter ticket, esp. to travelers (I know several friends who have gone to Turkey in the last couple years, and all loved it), but I'm more curious about the other one.

Hate to interrupt the rare Lazarus rant-fest:

NSW is in South Dakota.

NSW listened to six more Beatles remasters today, amongst other albums.

NSW, once done listening to the aforementioned Beatles albums, then proceeded to listen to "Tomorrow Never Knows" 10 times in a row. Cos that fucking song is a monster.

NSW used his presale codes to see U2 overseas, and so he cannot complain about the current situation. A situation that is 100% unsurprising. Might as well get pissed tomorrow morning that the sun is in the East.

NSW saw Buffalo for the first time in his life.

The first unlabeled album to come on after Beatles-fest was Achtung Baby.

NSW will see Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park tomorrow.

NSW thinks that while he would never claim that U2 are the best band ever, or of any period, he thought it interesting that after listening to some amazing Beatles albums that Achtung Baby came on right afterwards and reminded him that U2 will always be his favorite band. That album is fucking astonishing.

NSW is fatigued.

Glad you're having a sonically and visually exciting trip. I would suggest seeing the Crazy Horse memorial as well if it's not too far out of your way. The film they show at the welcome center about the guy who began the project brought me to tears. And if you're going through Wyoming, Devil's Tower lives up to the hype.

There's a nightcap for you in the Lance's Mom thread.

Back
Top Bottom