Interference Random Music Talk: Rick Rubin produces the XX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just meant in the sense of new producer getting shelved sorta thing.

The thing is, the guys whose work was set aside or left the sessions were veterans who failed to bring out the best in the band. Namely Chris Thomas and Rubin. Danger Mouse is someone with fresh ideas, and I can't imagine the band being this vocal about the progress only to shelve it.

While not as vocal as Gaf, I must admit, I am really excited about the "club album" as well. I hope it ever sees the light of day.

It would be nice if U2 is now entering there "old man" phase and stop giving a shit about anything and just do random fucking awesome shit.

The thing is, the guys whose work was set aside or left the sessions were veterans who failed to bring out the best in the band. Namely Chris Thomas and Rubin. Danger Mouse is someone with fresh ideas, and I can't imagine the band being this vocal about the progress only to shelve it.

While I hope you're correct, I've become a pessimist with regard to U2 over the years.

While not as vocal as Gaf, I must admit, I am really excited about the "club album" as well. I hope it ever sees the light of day.

It's gonna be fucking funny. With a glimmer of potential for legit good music.

The Danger Mouse stuff could be cool, too, I guess. It's interesting how they kept that collaboration completely under the radar. If this is true, they really must have worked quickly, because you think somebody would have got word of it before this article showed up.

Maybe they were recording in one of Churchill's old WWII bunkers.

Probably not. Probably time for some shut eye. Peace.

Me4.

Guess we won't have to do much Cockscription if there's a song about disco sticks on U2's new album.

Dude, the whole song is about how drunk she is, Red Wine is NOT out of the realm of possibility here :wink:

for the record, i don't like Lady Gaga at all. i thought Just Dance, Pokerface and Bad Romance were catchy maybe the first couple of times i heard them and now i despise them all.

let's see you deal with that one, friggin drunk gaf :wink:

If the music is coming very easily, as Boner claims, I hope they impulsively put it out before they have time to sanitize it or try to throw on a couple wannabe hits. Best case scenario is that we get another Poppycock, or something the band will regret after the fact.

Just follow the groove!

It would be nice if U2 is now entering there "old man" phase and stop giving a shit about anything and just do random fucking awesome shit.

This and that.

I did not listen to the Gaga vids, because I have never heard a Gaga song, and would never like to.

And I'm ok with that.

Put your hands on the wheel, let the golden age begiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin, guys.

Something about U2 recording an album of Gaga-esque songs terrifies me. It's not that I am adverse to Lady Gaga, but rather that I am exceedingly skeptical that they are capable of being a Top-40 presence anymore. They should try to convince Nigel Godrich to produce for them. :shifty:

Dude, the whole song is about how drunk she is, Red Wine is NOT out of the realm of possibility here :wink:

Yep, me 5 or whatever number. I thought someone says "tripped" or something, and she finishes the thought with "on red wine." Oh well.

Something about U2 recording an album of Gaga-esque songs terrifies me.

I dunno ... I don't think just because they're using one of her producers/collaborators they're going to come out with anything remotely Gaga-esque (high energy, electro-dance whatever music). Even with the comment of aiming for a top 40 hit, I really don't see that happening.

I believe your terror is unfounded.

I'm with Iron Lunged Yuppie on this one, the idea of some sort of collaboration heavy "their idea of what club music is" album involving a combo of the 3 people He Who Lies mentioned was what caused the fear. I know the band loves their remixes, but I can only think of about 4 max I actually enjoy (and that's being a U2 fanatic who posts on U2 fan forums, I can't imagine what casual U2 or non-U2 fans would think upon hearing something like that). Who knows, it could end up being great, but I just can't picture it based on the people he mentioned being involved.

I'd also be far more excited about Danger Mouse if Broken Bells hadn't been so crushingly disappointing for me as a massive Shins fan. Then again, who knows what an actual "rock band" album would sound like with him producing, so it may not be worthy of worrying about at this point.

So you're thinking the album tracks will sound like remixes? Or have that kind of "club" sound? I guess I'm coming at it differently - my mind doesn't immediately jump there, that it's going to be actual "dance/club music."

I'm hanging on the "rock band" album thought, despite the involvement of the Pea and Red One. I may have more faith in our men in Ireland than some of you, though. Or at least cautious optimism. ;)

In other news, I really like the new KT Tunstall album.

I guess it was his actual comment that worried me that way:

The second album is what he calls a "club" record, that will feature Lady Gaga collaborator RedOne, Black Eyed Peas rapper Will.I.Am and French superstar David Guetta.

"U2's remixes in the 1990s were a real treasure," he said. "So we wanted to make a club sounding record. We have a pile of songs."

Ha, someone else just posted that quote in the other part of the forum.

Yeah, I guess that puts me in the "strong reservations" category. But if that's a Bono quote, then I won't worry too much. Yet. ;)

I'll hold out hope for a "rock" record with some elements of "club" or "dance" or what-have-you, rather than an album that they could just throw on in a club as is.

But, as always, I'll reserve actual judgement until I hear some actual music.

Yeah, I really like both her first one and then her follow-up that didn't (I don't think) have any hit singles.

I had no idea she had a new one out either until I saw it at the store yesterday.

I will say, now that I've woken up, had a Subway sandwich, sobered up and gotten over my initial euphoric "U2 WORKING WITH GAGA's PRODUCER!!!" phase, this news is still incredibly exciting.

I was being a bit coy last night but, realistically, the Danger Mouse work is the most exciting of all of it. That shit, as Laz said, if they don't overcook it and just release it...it could be special. At least for a bunch of old Irishmen.

Yay for good times in the U2 camp.

I'd also be far more excited about Danger Mouse if Broken Bells hadn't been so crushingly disappointing

Yes, and Dark Night of the Soul as well, at least for me. I would call Broken Bells mediocre at best.

In terms of the "club" album, I think that it could go either exceedingly well or embarrassingly awry. I would love to hear an album from U2 with a style in the vein of Playing the Angel, but arranging the spiritual mantra style of which they are so fond as of late to electronica might not bode so well.

The Julian Casablancas track on Dark Night of the Soul is dope. Haven't heard anything else from the album, though.

I definitely overstated my feelings with the term "terror." Perhaps "skeptical" is more appropriate. As long as Edge is around, I think that they have the potential to turn any concept into a successful record.

Back
Top Bottom