Interference Random Music Talk Phase X: In which THE COFF! gets her oats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What can I say? It's a grower.

And no, the hotness of the two principal ladies was not a factor in my turnaround.

What can I say? It's a grower.

And no, the hotness of the two principal ladies was not a factor in my turnaround.

I dunno, I was hooked from the first moments, but I can understand it as a grower too. I'm just glad people came around to it; at first, I thought I was insane or something for digging it so much.

I would never insinuate such a thing. It helps though.

After hearing the album a good number of times, I still think there are only 3-4 good songs on it (Cannibal Resource, Stillness Is The Move, Two Doves, No Intention), while the rest of them are occasionally enjoyable but find their way off the rails (Temecula Sunrise, Useful Chamber, Remade Horizon) or never go anywhere at all (The Bride, Fluorescent Half Dome).

Also, Longstreth is fucking in love with his own voice, which I do not consider a good thing by any means. If Bitte Orca were just the girls, I would probably be defending it somewhat, even though I don't think I'll ever like it as much as you guys do. It's just not my thing, really. Props for challenging convention though.

The best thing about Useful Chamber is that it goes off the rails. Gloriously so.

I loved the album the first time I heard it as well, 1B1L.

After hearing the album a good number of times, I still think there are only 3-4 good songs on it (Cannibal Resource, Stillness Is The Move, Two Doves, No Intention), while the rest of them are occasionally enjoyable but find their way off the rails (Temecula Sunrise, Useful Chamber, Remade Horizon) or never go anywhere at all (The Bride, Fluorescent Half Dome).

Also, Longstreth is fucking in love with his own voice, which I do not consider a good thing by any means. If Bitte Orca were just the girls, I would probably be defending it somewhat, even though I don't think I'll ever like it as much as you guys do. It's just not my thing, really. Props for challenging convention though.

The best thing about Useful Chamber is that it goes off the rails. Gloriously so.

I loved the album the first time I heard it as well, 1B1L.

I have to agree with laz on this one. The part where "Useful Chamber" goes off with the "Bitte orca! Orca bitte!" makes the album for me and is by far my favorite recorded moment this year. I quite enjoy the fact that the songs are allowed to go off into tangents as well. But, I've had a few friends who just aren't into the sound either, so I understand. I still think it's brilliant.

:up: Good, glad that I wasn't the only one then.

(If you think about it, this is a funny post.)

I've been called a hardass before.

If we're stuck within tonal conventions, then yes, it is. :wink: It's cool though.

I'm blasting Dirty Projectors to start off my day. Best beginning to a day ever, I'm telling you guys.

I've been re-listening to 808s after watching the Kanye/Spike Jonze short, and son of a vondruke if it doesn't sound better than it did last year, and I dug it then, too.

"Street Lights" is still by far the best track on there, and one of the 5 best THE 'YE! has ever done, but "See You in My Nightmares" is awesome regardless of the 'Lil Wayne involved.

Tell e'erybody THAT YA KNOW!

I'm guessing that should read "DON'T pull". But that's exactly what I was thinking before I even saw your post.

What you don't want to see at the show is THE FAIL!

Hey, has anyone listened to this hip hop duo called Steinsky? Someone on another forum mentioned it as a hip hop essential, and directed me to this:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Steinski: What Does It All Mean? 1983-2006 Retrospective

I'm in the process of "researching" this matter (166 of 227 megs completed). :ohmy:

agencies_CVR.jpg

Steinski's great. Is it a duo? I was under the impression that it was one dude, but I'm probably mistaken. One of the last remaining DJs from the old school days. :up:

Right, I was thinking of Steinski AND Double Dee, who frequently collaborated.

Ah, yeah. In any case, Steinski's good and definitely worth listening to. Somebody brought him up recently in a class of mine and mentioned that he does mashups a lot, which I wasn't as aware of, I guess. I've only heard some stuff off of the compilation you posted earlier though; perhaps I should do some more digging into his work too.

Have you all had the pleasure of hearing the Bon Iver and St. Vincent collaboration "Roslyn"? It is quite gorgeous.

I've been re-listening to 808s after watching the Kanye/Spike Jonze short, and son of a vondruke if it doesn't sound better than it did last year, and I dug it then, too.

"Street Lights" is still by far the best track on there, and one of the 5 best THE 'YE! has ever done, but "See You in My Nightmares" is awesome regardless of the 'Lil Wayne involved.

Tell e'erybody THAT YA KNOW!

We're still in the thick of the autotune era, so perhaps it'll sound like crap in 30 years once that innovation has become antiquated, but for now, I think 808s is aging really well. I don't think the songs are particularly fantastic, but I do think it's very heartfelt, cohesive, and unique, which always helps. It's my least favorite Kanye album for sure, but I think so highly of his work that last place is not such a bad thing.

That said, bring on the rapping. Maybe his innovation this time out will involve not being a douchebag.

We're still in the thick of the autotune era, so perhaps it'll sound like crap in 30 years once that innovation has become antiquated, but for now, I think 808s is aging really well. I don't think the songs are particularly fantastic, but I do think it's very heartfelt, cohesive, and unique, which always helps. It's my least favorite Kanye album for sure, but I think so highly of his work that last place is not such a bad thing.

That said, bring on the rapping. Maybe his innovation this time out will involve not being a douchebag.

I think the autotune may date it, like you said, but something like "Street Lights" is about as close to the so-called pop art aesthetic that Kanye's trying so hard to get. The whole album sounds gorgeous, too. Shit, I'm even behind "RoboCop" and "See You in My Nightmares" now. Still prefer the pre-release version of "Welcome to Heartbreak" though, which features a different vocal take and no drums. I'm trying to track that down.

And the rhymes and beats be ill, son.

Oh... Hey there, Gimme Fiction. Fancy seeing you in a used bin. Who's that hanging out with you? Ah, I see. It's Armchair Apocrypha.

What's that? You're both pressed on beautiful 180 gram vinyl? That's nice to hear.

You both want to come home with me for $16 total? Well, okay. Hop in the car. Let's do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom