Interference Random Music Talk Part XV - We're using Charlie Rose tinted glasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even as a committed and vocal She & Him detractor, I have to admit I dig that one quite a bit.

Wasn't there a lyrics site that people were talking about a few months back, that was reliable and not full of awful pop-up bullshit?

Can anyone refresh my memory as to what it was?

Ok, I finally broke down and replaced my lost Sony earbuds. I had those headphones for three years, they never broke, and I was always happy with them. I mentioned I bought a really cheap pair of headphones to replace them, and those were actually surprisingly good until they broke after a few uses. So I bit the bullet and bought a new pair of headphones tonight....the same brand of Sony's but a newer model. And I am quite pleased as punch.

Amazon.com: Sony MDREX38iP/BLK EX Earbud with iPod Remote Control…

Ha - okay. For some reason, I thought I remembered him mentioning he wrote for a music site, and just figured it was his writing.

I liked it all the same.

Its very wordy. The author needs to take a deep breath and put some voice in the writing, imnsho

I'm usually the first one to have her eyes glaze over at things being too wordy, but I didn't have that reaction to this.

Maybe because I was actually interested in the subject manner. :lol:

I don't know what Tryin' to Throw Your Cock Around the Court has to do with "anthemic stadium rock". That song has a mellow, trip-hop vibe, the humorous flipside to the similar-sounding So Cocky.

Decently written, but I don't really like write-ups that only focus on a couple of tracks like that. How does one talk about that album without mentioning Cockrobat, lyrically and musically one of the most important (and daring) songs on the album, and its penultimate statement? Or Until the End of the Match?

Easiest class I ever took. Showed up for every lecture save one, never studied any of the notes I took or the book, aced the class. It was a hell of a lot of fun, got to watch awesome concert footage and what not in a theater setting. Even watched some of PopMart in that class once. THAT was fuckmazing.
still so jealous. i needed to think of a fourth class to take this coming semester and there's plenty of music classes to choose from but nothing like this. i did find a new zealand music class, though. maybe i'll find out about something more than the finns and ladyhawke.

and in other music news, i found a concert in australia i'd love to go to. here's hoping my family feels like being extra generous for my birthday.

Faded by The Afghan Whigs is one of the greatest album closers ever.

God, I love that song. And that album (Black Love), in my all-time Top 10.

still so jealous. i needed to think of a fourth class to take this coming semester and there's plenty of music classes to choose from but nothing like this. i did find a new zealand music class, though. maybe i'll find out about something more than the finns and ladyhawke.
I love it for the amusing anecdotes it left me with. Such as the album example the prof used for Phish was Story of the Ghost.

I love it for the amusing anecdotes it left me with. Such as the album example the prof used for Phish was Story of the Ghost.

Some of my favorite moments in college have come in my music classes with a very specific prof. Examples include: using "Ticket to Ride" as an example of rounded binary form (AABABA[Coda]), playing Nirvana and Green Day on the piano from memory/without sheet music, saying things like, “Sorry, my world is just too hard hitting, and my concepts too jagged, to do a dance.” about the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 5th, or reciting part of the first verse from Eminem's "Kill You" in total deadpan (this part: They said I can't rap about bein broke no more/They ain't say I can't rap about coke no more/Slut, you think I won't choke no whore/til the vocal cords don't work in her throat no more?!/These motherfuckers are thinkin I'm playin/Thinkin I'm sayin the shit cause I'm thinkin it just to be sayin it.).

That guy makes all the debt I'll have coming out of school completely and totally worth it for so, so many reasons.

Last edited:
My guy was absolutely great for those same kind of reasons. He was talking about how people would hang psychedelic posters on their walls and then just stair at them while on LSD and then he said, "It was the coolest thing." And he was clearly speaking from experience.

He also referred to LSD becoming illegal as pretty much the saddest thing to ever happen.

That's amazing.

Also, OH MY FUCKING GOD! I found this prof's Facebook page...and his status updates are just classic and witty as hell, making me literally chuckle several times. And, I'm officially a HUGE creeper. :lol:

we're all closet facebook creepers, i'm sure.

well i know i am.

all i got from that review was the word 'pop' used in every other sentence. i wouldn't have thought there were many pop songs on Achtung but maybe i have no idea what the word means. :shrug: and sentences like this
the stylistic readjustment of Achtung represented a necessary renewal of U2’s claim on relevance, and necessity bears no real risk.
are boring, verbose, and a long-winded way of saying nothing.

hmm. How manly would you say you are?

Not sure how much that has to deal with it. My perception of my own manliness (quite high, mind you) isn't affected one way or another by my taste in music. There's plenty, plenty of shit I listen to that wouldn't really kick my manliness scores into the stratosphere or anything. She & Him would certainly apply, but like I said, I don't care for the project (mostly due to M. Ward).

In any case, I know a song I like when I hear it, so there you go. I dig "Thieves."

In any case, I know a song I like when I hear it, so there you go. I dig "Thieves."

As do I. Sadly, it is the only great song on the record. The debut was far better, and I don't even listen to that anymore.

Chick music is pretty awesome outside of She And Him, actually.

i saw Yes Man once and fell in love with Zooey Deschanel.

<--- acquired Stankonia today. :drool:
+The Office Season 3 (already watched Ep1, fucking brilliant)
& The 'cock at the Rose Bowl

(here's hoping Ms Jackson & B.O.B. don't turn out to be the two best tracks by a country mile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom