Interference Random Music Talk Part XV - We're using Charlie Rose tinted glasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
listened to London Calling today for the first time.

didn't think a great deal of it. i get the impression that's it probably a bit like Exile in that it takes 20 odd listens to really sink in.

plenty of good songs though. Train in Vain is fantastic.

It took you 20 listens to get into Exile on Main St.? Exaggeration maybe? That seems like a very high number to me.

And if it takes you 20 listens to get into London Calling, something's wrong.

This is of course personally speaking, but I don't know that I quite see the comparisons between the two albums outside of them both being double albums...

It took you 20 listens to get into Exile on Main St.? Exaggeration maybe? That seems like a very high number to me.

And if it takes you 20 listens to get into London Calling, something's wrong.

I can understand the comparison on the basis that both albums are long and boast a handful of standouts surrounded by uniformly strong deep cuts. London Calling is a lot more dynamic and listener-friendly, however.

It did take me 20 listens to get into Kid A though, absolutely no exaggeration there whatsoever. I wanted to be a hipster pretty badly.

Never heard of the brand, but the most popular Amazon review for them is titled "Poor Build Quality".

Bono (and a heck of a lot of other pros) uses the $1400+ Ultimate Ears. Mind you they are the custom high end ones.

Realistically there isn't such a thing as a true quality in-ear for less than about $300 (Westone for example) and even that's pushing it.

London Calling is my favorite album of all time, it did actually take me a hand full of listens to get my head around, but that's because I was expecting something else from it way back when.

I throw this out often, but I think it's important to always remember when you're listening to a "classic album", that a lot of the sounds, themes, etc. are likely somewhat common in music these days. You have to try to remember what music was like when it came out, and what respective scene it was coming from or targeted to.

I almost sold Kid A to a used CD store the day it came out, I was so bummed it didn't "rawk" at the time. Glad I gave it a number more spins instead.

I throw this out often, but I think it's important to always remember when you're listening to a "classic album", that a lot of the sounds, themes, etc. are likely somewhat common in music these days. You have to try to remember what music was like when it came out, and what respective scene it was coming from or targeted to.

I understand and respect that viewpoint. It makes sense. But I can't go back in time and have things be the way they were at that time period, so there are albums I'll respect for recognizing that they were the first of their kind, but I just can't quite get my head around them myself. This is probably the biggest reason why the Beatles will never be a favorite band of mine.

Not arguing with you or anything, this is just a viewpoint I've held for a while, but never said anything about.

Not even really a viewpoint really, just the way I synthesize "new" (to me) classic music. I don't always like it and I don't always hate it. But liking something and respecting it are not always going to go hand in hand.

I totally understand the whole taking a handful of listens for an album to hit you thing. 20 just seems like way too many. If you don't like an album after 20 listens, well then, shit. If you've been tryin for years, we already heard your song.

I can't go back in time and have things be the way they were at that time period, so there are albums I'll respect for recognizing that they were the first of their kind, but I just can't quite get my head around them myself.

Entirely understandable. It's easier said than done a lot of times. At the end of the day, we all still have our own likes and dislikes. There are a lot of 'classic" artists I have no interest in.

There aren't a lot of masterpiece, landmark albums that can impress without context. Sgt. Peppers, maybe. Songs in the Key of Life?

Please explain. For me, if an album can't transcend its era, it's not a true classic. Being able to pinpoint the era in which an album was created is not a flaw, but its context shouldn't overshadow the songwriting. Context is key to understanding why the production techniques of Sgt. Pepper were so innovative, but none of that explains the innovative songwriting structure and arrangement of A Day In The Life, nor the reason the album became a hit in the first place. I didn't need to know that Pink Moon was released in 1972 to hold the opinion that the songs contained within were incredibly haunting, though studying the environment in which the album was recorded does give its lyrics greater poignancy.

A few things:

1) Agreed with Hawk Jr. If you listen to a thing 20x and do not like, it's likely time to move on. There might be rare exceptions, but, that's a safe move, methinks. Like me with Pavement.

2) Agreed with Ashley. I hear Scumbo's point, but, I used to tell Zoots (RIP) this all the time: If you constantly have to tell people that they "had to be there" to really appreciate an album, perhaps the album is not as good as you think it is (or want it to be). Of course, there is a lot to be said for context, etc, but for me, that maybe impacts my respect for an album (or film or book, etc) but it cannot really make my ears/brain like it any better.

I hear Scumbo's point, but, I used to tell Zoots (RIP) this all the time: If you constantly have to tell people that they "had to be there" to really appreciate an album, perhaps the album is not as good as you think it is (or want it to be).

Zoots might be the only man alive who looks back on the '90s without disdain.

The love-hate relationship I have for the '90s is almost a tangible duel to the death.

Lazarus loves the 90's, if I'm not mistaken. Unless he just hates the 80's and I'm making the other part up.

The 90's hold little appeal for me, big-picture-wise. 2 hyphens 4 LYFE.

His rationale? He spent every waking moment of the '90s a matter of yards away from Stephen Malkmus' crotch.

...Yeah, still don't see the appeal.

The love-hate relationship I have for the '90s is almost a tangible duel to the death.

What do you duel the '90s with, the sharp-ish corner of unsold Cypress Hill reunion tickets?

I wish Catherine Wheel had a greatest hits collection, because I like a lot of their singles, but don't want to buy each of their albums in order to have them.

When I listened to Chrome a few weeks ago, it sounded a bit like Axver music to me. The major difference being that track 1 isn't still going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom