Interference Random Music Talk Part XIV - Magic everywhere in this bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperor

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Shaggy 2 Dope: At the Detroit Zoo now, you can feed the giraffes. Last week, I took my kids and a friend to the zoo, and it wasn’t open. I was like, man, I want to feed a giraffe. Getting that close to some crazy-looking animal that only lives in Africa and Detroit? It’s not every day you just get to marinate with a giraffe, man.

Source.

You want bathrooms?! We've got bathrooms! They're called, "your pants."

I finally saw the ICP video and then the SNL parody the other day.

My first reaction was that hey, it's a couple of jackassasses doing their version of "sweet" - I mean, what's wrong with a song about how much wonder there is in the world? I can't hate on that.

But then they start in with the "motherfuckers" and it kind of takes the simplistic little wonder right out of it.

Plus, they're saying some really stupid shit, which kind of takes the childish wonder factor right out of it, too.

/unnecessary pondering of an ICP song

That, and its two grown men wearing clown makeup without a hint of irony

Well, yes. That's a given.

I was also horrified seeing that they had spawned and painted that shit on their poor kids' faces.

I hope they rebel by becoming classical musicians and rocking out to Beethoven and Liszt all day long.

I finally saw the ICP video and then the SNL parody the other day.

My first reaction was that hey, it's a couple of jackassasses doing their version of "sweet" - I mean, what's wrong with a song about how much wonder there is in the world? I can't hate on that.

But then they start in with the "motherfuckers" and it kind of takes the simplistic little wonder right out of it.

Plus, they're saying some really stupid shit, which kind of takes the childish wonder factor right out of it, too.

/unnecessary pondering of an ICP song

You just got yo' ass put on the juggalo hit list, lady.

Muthafuckin NINJAS comin' to your house.

I really do like the song.

The video screams "LOOK HOW OUTRAGEOUS AND SEXUAL I AM" but leaves me cold. Maybe it's because I'm a straight chick. Or maybe it's because everything she does that seems to go for *gasp* scandalous makes me shrug and say "meh."

Also, what was with the shot of the perfume bottles? Does she have her own fragrance line? I don't know why that bugged me, but Lady Gaga showing off her line of earbuds in Bad Romance didn't bother me.

Oh well. I did like the song. Right up my alley for what I want in a fun, dancey pop song.

I really do like the song.

The video screams "LOOK HOW OUTRAGEOUS AND SEXUAL I AM" but leaves me cold. Maybe it's because I'm a straight chick. Or maybe it's because everything she does that seems to go for *gasp* scandalous makes me shrug and say "meh."

I'd say that it's also fairly difficult to portray oneself as a wholesome mother for a few years and then try to revive the establishment-shaking libertine image. Not that I ever really found the latter image convincing in the first place, though.

I feel like the public doesn't know who the real Christina is - she was a teen idol, she broke out of that by getting all dirrty and raunchy, then she was a 40s pinup or something.

Not that any of this is a bad thing - I just don't think her reinventions works that well. I don't want to get into debate about Madonna or Gaga, and who's stealing from whom and etc etc etc, I just don't buy whatever Christina is selling us, and I don't exactly know why, because I do actually like a lot of her music and respect her vocal talents.

I quite like the song too. But that video has been done so many times before, and done better. It plays out like a cheap homage to Madonna's 'Express Yourself' and 'Human Nature' promos.

xeroxtinacopiesmadonna5.jpg

She's trying too hard.

That's a good point. The whole idea of the "chameleon" in media is misleading, I think. The people to whom that term is applied, like Bowie and Madonna, are usually just ahead of the curve and show a general direction in their work. They're not usually reactionary. With Aguilera, the direction always seems forced.

By the way, I like the "cromulent" avatar heading. I might say that it embiggens your profile.

Indeed! :)

I wanted it to read "A perfectly cromulent poster," so it more closely matched the Simpsons quote, but that was too many characters. Alas.

This is pathetic. It reminds me of Madonna's 4 Minutes in how musically out of date it is, but there's definitely some irony here at least; she breaks the 4th wall time and time again, but because it's a bad song anyway, all she does is point out the obvious, rather than redeem herself in doing so. It's just bad all around. Hollow, hookless, dull, why. She can do better than this. Now the video...well, she's hotter than Gaga or Hard Candy-era Madonna. Checkmate.

All that being said, I see more Lance's mom influence at play here than Madonna.

I find her attempts at being "hot" to be rather cold, myself. But again, wrong demographic, I guess. And yeah, trying too hard.

I'm not going to get my panties in a wad over someone calling my pop music opinions hypocritical. So do your worst. :)

I like the beat. Unfortunately, I think it won't be good for singing along, but it'll be good on my workout mix.

Haven't heard a note of Matt And Kim's work, but Titus Andronicus is a definite yes. Though my opinion on the matter is probably irrelevant now.

I've only listened to the Titus Andronicus album once, but I liked what I heard.

Shouter, I'm at the Dead Weather show right now and Thax just showed up before the opener. Will try to relay your message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom