Interference Random Music Talk Part XIV - Magic everywhere in this bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent more than the length of Light My Fire listening to The Doors this evening, and I've come to a conclusion.

The Doors kinda suck.

I have many an unanswered prayer to discuss with him. Where the hell is my Ferrari, and why is Princess Leia not my wife?!

is Discreet Music the one he made after he was in a car accident?

and has anyone heard Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom? i've only read about it, love the story.

edit- just wanted to add. listening to Sound of Silver on the way home from uni. Murph can really sound like 70s Bowie when he wants to. Get Innocuous! sounds like a Low reject with 21st century electro dance music, and New York I Love You could fit right onto TRAFOZSATSFM, i reckon.

is Discreet Music the one he made after he was in a car accident?

Yes, and it's really cool. Sat on the porch with it tonight and just stared for a while, letting the nondescript waves of sound coagulate into this palpable haze surrounding my head. I was afraid to move it for fear that it would break into pieces. It wasn't terribly musical, but it made an impact on me, for sure. And that's just the title track; the vaguely classical pieces rounding out the second half are just fucking beautiful and aren't nearly as fragile/fussy/intangible.

Give it a try, but pick your spots: this record will sound awesome in 20 percent of situations, pleasant in 60 percent, and barely detectable in the rest.

Yes, and it's really cool. Sat on the porch with it tonight and just stared for a while, letting the nondescript waves of sound coagulate into this palpable haze surrounding my head. I was afraid to move it for fear that it would break into pieces. It wasn't terribly musical, but it made an impact on me, for sure. And that's just the title track; the vaguely classical pieces rounding out the second half are just fucking beautiful and aren't nearly as fragile/fussy/intangible.

Give it a try, but pick your spots: this record will sound awesome in 20 percent of situations, pleasant in 60 percent, and barely detectable in the rest.

Might leave it for the plane flight to America i think.

Kinda really suck. The only good thing about them is the way Ray Manzarek speaks.

YouTube - The Doors - Ray Manzarek interview 1 of 10

Oh God, there was a human being in The Doors? It's so easy to mock them when all I can picture is Jim Morrison on stage, getting off on his own genius. Was there ever a man more poetically insightful? Muldfeld's father would say no.

Might leave it for the plane flight to America i think.

Sounds like a plan.

Listen to Ambient 1: Music For Airports as you wait to board and save Ambient 4: On Land for when you arrive. :wink:

edit- just wanted to add. listening to Sound of Silver on the way home from uni. Murph can really sound like 70s Bowie when he wants to. Get Innocuous! sounds like a Low reject with 21st century electro dance music, and New York I Love You could fit right onto TRAFOZSATSFM, i reckon.

Have you listened to This Is Happening yet? I've sort of decided that I want to be one of the only people in the world that hears it for the first time when it's released.

Have you listened to This Is Happening yet? I've sort of decided that I want to be one of the only people in the world that hears it for the first time when it's released.

It's a pretty great record, but the reaction is like God Himself crafted an incredibly advanced drum machine, gave it to James Murphy, he hit the "make hipsters orgasm for an hour straight" button, and the results were splattered all over the internet.

August 5th, eh? I dunno if it's worth staying in Melbourne for a week, but I'm tempted to do just that. Depends whether or not these assholes add a date over here.

It's a pretty great record, but the reaction is like God Himself crafted an incredibly advanced drum machine, hit the "make hipsters orgasm for an hour straight" button, and the results were splattered all over the internet.

How solid is it throughout? My biggest gripe with LCD is not so much how Murphy keeps his influences on his sleeve so blatantly, but the fact that the self-titled and SOS are far from perfect, despite being scattered with brilliant songs. In this respect, 45:33 is probably overall their best album.

How solid is it throughout? My biggest gripe with LCD is not so much how Murphy keeps his influences on his sleeve so blatantly, but the fact that the self-titled and SOS are far from perfect, despite being scattered with brilliant songs. In this respect, 45:33 is probably overall their best album.

i've only heard SOS, but agreed. you could cut about 15 minutes and lose nothing i reckon.

But He sorta did...

My edit changes the meaning slightly. James Murphy is now God's ideal dance artist incarnate. :wink:

I really don't want to come across as if I dislike the album, it is a tidy improvement over his previous albums in certain respects, but if any one of the May trilogy stood out as a masterpiece to me, it's BSS' new record.

My edit changes the meaning slightly. James Murphy is now God's ideal dance artist incarnate. :wink:

I really don't want to come across as if I dislike the album, it is a tidy improvement over his previous albums in certain respects, but if any one of the May trilogy stood out as a masterpiece to me, it's BSS' new record.

if there is any masterpiece to be released this year, it'll be Songs of Ascent, ask eykiw.

I keep meaning to listen to the stream, but it just never seems to happen. Probably going to wait til it comes out at this point.

I had no desire to turn the album off after track five, so it's a step up over SOS right there. I still think a number of the tracks extend far past the point of enjoyability, but the arrangements are clever enough that I can personally excuse it. I just find it so baffling that an artist with such a terrific ear for a hook refuses to edit his own work. It's wasted. On top of that, I still have no idea what kind of music James Murphy wants to make based on the material present. It all comes across a bit watered down for the reasons mentioned above, but the lyrics are great, and it is a fun listen. He still hasn't made his opus yet though. The thing is, I would rather he not increase his scope: a taut, kaleidoscopic album overflowing with the hooks he does so well would be mindblowing to me, perhaps with a couple of more epic tracks to give it weight. That's the direction I would like to see him take at this point.

But yeah, This Is Happening will do. It's cool stuff.

I am yet to crank the new BSS.

But honestly, This is Happening is truly happening. If I may:

Dance Yrself Clean - when those synths come in... oh man.
DRUNK GIRLS! - fun as fuck, I don't care who you are. Turn this right up in a car full of drunken revellers, or when pre-drinking.
One Touch - see, I classify this as the same sorta song as your 'Us v Them' or 'Watch the Tapes' - not a centrepiece of the album but a good fun electronic track, and it's way, way better than its equivalents on past albums.
All I Want - gorgeous.
I Can Change - gorgeous.
You Wanted a Hit - see One Touch.
Pow Pow - 2010's Losing My Edge. brilliant.
Somebody's Calling Me - worst song on the album, and sometimes how laconic it is can shit me, but the other day driving home from a friend's place at 2am, tired as fuck and thinking about a woman, it hit me.
Home - wow.

In conclusion - the second-tier tracks that dragged SOS etc. down, are far, far better here, and the real quality cockjerkers deserve every bit of praise.

With you on Discreet Music. Only Eno I've listened to is Another Green World, and I can't get into it for the life of me. Unpopular opinion, I know. But this track sounds more up my alley.

You've never heard Here Come The Warm Jets??

Walk, don't run and get a hold of that shit. Seriously.

In conclusion - the second-tier tracks that dragged SOS etc. down, are far, far better here, and the real quality cockjerkers deserve every bit of praise.

I wouldn't disagree with this at all. However, I don't think anything on This Is Happening is as good as Losing My Edge, Tribulations, Someone Great, or All My Friends. Not at this stage, anyway. It took a while for those to snowball into the all time classics they've become.

And yes, thank God and His awesome drum machine that everything on the album is better than Us V. Them, Watch The Tapes, and Sound Of Silver.

I'd put "Home," "All I Want," "Pow Pow" and "I Can Change" up with that group in a heartbeat.

Is that half of the album? Oh, it is. Yeah, I'll just hipstersplurt all over my laptop again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom