Interference Random Music Talk Part XIV - Magic everywhere in this bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PBR is shit. Just because it's slightly better than other shitty beers doesn't make it drinkable.

I can't afford to buy good beers either, which is why I carry a flask of scotch with me, and use my friends' empty glasses to pour it into. I'll usually dilute that with a little complimentary water. In the last nine months I've probably bought only five drinks.

:superghetto:

now i can ignore all Bunbury's metal threads! :)

That sorta makes me sad, he's one of my favorite people on the forum. I like that he brings up bands and genres that are never mentioned here. Plus, he's a funny son of a bitch.

I think he's talking about Tom Waits Downtown Train.

not the castrated Rod Stewart version, but, you know, the actual real original version.

I like the Rod Stewart version.....actually, I didn't even know it was a cover. :shh:

My mom used to listen to Rod Stewart a lot when I was little, so I do have a soft spot for it.

"Young Turks" is cool enough that I don't even know it's Rod Stewart.

MTV (when they used to actually be associated with music) had some sort of "U2 day" when they released the music video for Discotheque. Towards the end of it, they apparently thought they'd be really cutting edge to include the new fangled "internets", and have some running ticker on the bottom of the screen of people posting crap in a chat room while the videos were playing. I remember someone posting, "Bono and Rod Stewart have the sexiest voices in all of music!!!111!!!" I thought that was a weird enough comment that I still remember it today, apparently.

PBR is shit. Just because it's slightly better than other shitty beers doesn't make it drinkable.

I can't afford to buy good beers either, which is why I carry a flask of scotch with me, and use my friends' empty glasses to pour it into. I'll usually dilute that with a little complimentary water. In the last nine months I've probably bought only five drinks.

:superghetto:

Not really referring to this post, but this was the last related one that I read. Just wanted to say that as "indie" and "hipster" trends have developed, I've found a great deal of insulation from being called a hipster by maintaining my straightedge lifestyle and, though unrelated, both being unable to grow a good beard and only buying new clothes like twice per decade. An added bonus, for sure. Walking around in the same pair of regular-ass jeans, refusing any beers, and wearing no facial hair has really saved me, over the last four or so years. Score.

Despite the beard, I don't wear much vintage clothing and keep my Am Appy to a tasteful minimum. I'd hardly say I dress like a prototypical hipster. Still, it looks like I fit the bill more than you do, so the burden of scorn will be on me instead. Lucky you. The fact that I'm wearing a v-neck and eating hummus right now isn't helping me.

Another thing you guyz might find funny: I just got out of a job interview where I was completely thrown out of my groove by two ridiculously attractive ladies being the interviewers. Not fair, employer. Not fair at all.

IYS, I just rocked out to both those tunes :rockon:

forgot about that Eric Carmen song. I used to love that

Not really referring to this post, but this was the last related one that I read. Just wanted to say that as "indie" and "hipster" trends have developed, I've found a great deal of insulation from being called a hipster by maintaining my straightedge lifestyle and, though unrelated, both being unable to grow a good beard and only buying new clothes like twice per decade. An added bonus, for sure. Walking around in the same pair of regular-ass jeans, refusing any beers, and wearing no facial hair has really saved me, over the last four or so years. Score.
You're telling me. Literally the only way for me to be made fun of is when the actual music is being discussed. I don't have facial hair, I have a buzz cut, I wear plain T-shirts and jeans, and I drink cheap vodka, not cheap beer.

Another thing you guyz might find funny: I just got out of a job interview where I was completely thrown out of my groove by two ridiculously attractive ladies being the interviewers. Not fair, employer. Not fair at all.
You couldn't pull some Don Draper shit on them?

I don't think real hipsters buy clothes all that often. I don't think they shop at the bland American Apparel, either--that's more of a scenester thing. I think Shouter's "I wear the same jeans every day" is a lot closer to the hipster aesthetic than having a new fashion show on display all the time. Isn't it about not giving a shit, or at least looking like it?

You're telling me. Literally the only way for me to be made fun of is when the actual music is being discussed. I don't have facial hair, I have a buzz cut, I wear plain T-shirts and jeans, and I drink cheap vodka, not cheap beer.

You'll probably grow out of the cheap vodka thing. Just sayin'. I feel like it's a stage we all go through, then realize the errors of our ways.

I don't think real hipsters buy clothes all that often. I don't think they shop at the bland American Apparel, either--that's more of a scenester thing. I think Shouter's "I wear the same jeans every day" is a lot closer to the hipster aesthetic than having a new fashion show on display all the time. Isn't it about not giving a shit, or at least looking like it?

Goodwill and cheap vintage stores are hipster joints. I kind of like the '70s Reject look, though I doubt I could pull it off. Also, jorts. WTF?

Scenesters shop at Hot Topic, Laz. Come on.

18dvd600.jpg

Technically, I have three pairs of jeans. One for classier stuff, one for regular shit, and one for painting. I am intrigued, though, by the "real hipster" debate. It's one I've had many times with many people, and one which never really gets anywhere. Shit's too amorphous to pin down, for some reason.

The stage of having $11.46 in your bank account, I imagine.

Also, this has a lot to do with not buying clothes. For me, anyway. The last time I had real money, I bought new clothes. Go figure. I wish I could still rock the good shit, but I'm sure my day will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom