Interference Random Music Talk Part XI: Buttmeat Rides Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep my phone on vibrate. Pretty much the only way to go, for me. But if I have to use a tone for some reason, I just go with the default Verizon tone.

This is ill

Without a doubt, one of the best records I have heard, this year (and would have been one of my favorites of 2008, had I ever heard of it):

magic-lantern-high-beams.jpg

Fucking wild, out-there, unhinged, deep fried jams. It's Magic Lanterns' High Beams. Wow. Seriously mind-melting stuff. If you like, say, Oneida or Boredoms or Ghost or Deep Purple or Iron Butterfly or Boris, by all means have a listen. Jesus, this is a pulverizing record. Been listening pretty much non-stop, for a week, and it just keeps getting more terrifying and heavy. Awesome.

Ooooooooo. I like what I can hear in 30 second samples. Their myspace page sez they're from Long Beach, so maybe I'll keep the peepers peeled for a live gig. It looks like that record is only available on vinyl or iTunes, so I may have to buy my first iTunes album.

:lol: thats awesome

I cant wait to get in a real fight with my girlfriend so I can say "you're crushing mee like a cheese sandwich!"

Them Crooked Vultures: I think Foo Fighters are awful, I only liked one QOTSA album, but it's on my top 20 list, and I've never ben a huge Zep fan (in fact don't really like them at all). So, I'm thinking this album is not an album I want to get. Right?

Them Crooked Vultures: I think Foo Fighters are awful, I only liked one QOTSA album, but it's on my top 20 list, and I've never ben a huge Zep fan (in fact don't really like them at all). So, I'm thinking this album is not an album I want to get. Right?

Probably right.

So today in the faculty lunchroom I was treated to a boisterous and somewhat obnoxious account of a colleague's great time at the KISS concert last night. I could have lived without that.

And, it's really fucked up to have to look for the word "buttmeat" in the list of threads. :up:

Also...hm. It seems that my psych/garage binge has spilled over not only into the new releases I've been pimping (Sun Araw, check; Magic Lantern(s), check; Real Estate, a lesser, janglier check), but also...sigh. But also, at least possibly, into the realms of doom metal, contemporary stoner rock, and lots of sludge. I find this troubling, even though it's still quite tenuous; in other words, even though I fall into and out of songs/records quite randomly, often getting too suddenly bored or self-aware to enjoy myself, any more. It's strange.

I never thought that I'd be listening to a band like Naam and wondering, "Hm, should I pick this up?" I'm out of my zone, and as liberating as that's been...well, it's a bit disorienting, too. During my reggae binge, last year, I kept within my parameters--mid '50s to mid '70s at the ABSOLUTE latest--without any trouble. I never started listening to reggaeton, or whatever else, and questioning my sanity, and I sure as HELL never started enjoying any of it! This year, I've been a bit more scattershot. Shit's getting crazy, up in here. I don't know who I am, anymore, and I haven't even dropped any acid, yet! Hm.

Very curious to see what my listening habits look and sound like, in a year. There's a good chance that I'll have a whole bunch of thrice-played albums lying around, but just as likely a good chance that I won't be able to shut up about Sunn O))). Weird, wild stuff, around these parts.

I know The Ring Cycle and Tristan vs. Isolde all too well. He was a good guy, if accidentally a key contributor to the near downfall of Western civilization, in the 20th Century. Shame, that.

Oh, and martha--if I'm actually correct in assuming that you like wailing, drug-addled psych stuff, then you would do well to check out Eternal Tapestry. In order of importance, seek out The Invisible Landscape, Mystic Induction, and then Palace of the Night Skies. If I'm wrong in making that assumption (and I may well be), then ignore this. I feel like you're a post-rock fan who's open to the harder side of things, so that suggests that this could, indeed, be right up your alley. Either way, let me know what you think.

He actually was an asshole, but duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Funny story about Wagner and his assholeness/anti-Semitism...I was taking an intro to classical music class last year, and my music professor (who's a Mendelssohn scholar, explaining the dislike for Wagner, considering he attacked Mendelssohn because of his Jewish heritage) has a very deep dislike, almost hatred, for Wagner. So much so that he nearly didn't teach anything about Wagner, but well, since he was pretty important in the scheme of opera and such, my professor did anyway. But, the entire lecture was prefaced with the fact that Wagner was a racist son-of-a-bitch, and I have to say, it was interesting to watch, just because I could tell how uncomfortable he was with teaching anything to do with Wagner.

Even so, the dude did know how to write an opera, and he did have some amazing ideas. He's still a racist fuck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom