Interference Random Music Talk Part IV: Avoiding KNIFE CRIME for One More Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true that No Net hasn't even been certified platinum yet? That's fucked up./

I heard it's not selling very well. With songs like "Stand Up Referee," can we really be surprised?

There was a Third Eye Blind concert in Philly that people were raving about. Instead, I went to the Phillies game and watched them lose 3-1 in the cold rain. Fun times.

I heard it's not selling very well. With songs like "Stand Up Referee," can we really be surprised?

I think the problem was all the advance word. If you weren't expecting some heavy Led Zeppelin RAWK, would it have been so anti-climactic? Granted, it's still probably the worst thing on there, but I only find parts of it offensive. It does have a decent groove, it's just melding it with the typical Beatles-wank stuff (seen in Original of the Birdies and Window in the Stands) that makes it an ultimate failure.

Well, they do have a frontman prone to hyperbole. What's his name again?

There was a Third Eye Blind concert in Philly that people were raving about. Instead, I went to the Phillies game and watched them lose 3-1 in the cold rain. Fun times.

That was neither random nor about music. I'm going to request you read the FAQ.

Is it true that No Net hasn't even been certified platinum yet? That's fucked up./

Damn, I did not know that. I guess I'm not ultra surprised, the lead single is probably the only thing most people have heard, and it's far from being the type of thing that's going to get anyone to buy an album.

To be honest, I haven't listened to a single song from it in the last month or so. Sadly, I don't really have any strong desire to either. I actually like the album too, kinda weird. Wore its welcome out quick I guess. Oh well, I have plenty of other things to listen to.

I think U2 mismanaging the release is most of the problem. The unannounced release to iTunes, splitting the pre-order sales for the chart, delaying the video, too long until the release of Magnificent.

They dropped the ball. Big time.

It would be so great if Lance's Mom was the final person to post in there.

Or better yet, Fake Hedge could make a surprise 11th hour appearance to Save The Thread.

"Would it help if I stepped in and told you all what a great testament to Shuttlecock fandom you guys have been?"

Followed by a formal apology to the fans from Harry Muffin.

I think U2 mismanaging the release is most of the problem. The unannounced release to iTunes, splitting the pre-order sales for the chart, delaying the video, too long until the release of Magnificent.

They dropped the ball. Big time.

Agreed. With Poppycock it was single selection. This time around, I think you're right, it was sloppiness and timing. The songs are there; the notion there are no singles is bullshit. If Get On Your Cocks had been just a straight up perf video, as lame as I think they are, it would have been taken more seriously as a song. You can't expect people to buy the pre-release hype of "this is our best to date" with a piss-take like that.

Magnificock should have probably come out first.

We can no longer e-mail Bill Simmons to tell him about Shuttleocock. 'Tis a sad day.

Agreed. With Poppycock it was single selection. This time around, I think you're right, it was sloppiness and timing. The songs are there; the notion there are no singles is bullshit. If Get On Your Cocks had been just a straight up perf video, as lame as I think they are, it would have been taken more seriously as a song. You can't expect people to buy the pre-release hype of "this is our best to date" with a piss-take like that.

Magnificock should have probably come out first.

I think the title track could have been a good first single, if they were trying for that "different sound" angle.

I like Boots, but I get why it wasn't a good lead single.

I think Shuttlecock's problem these days is that they think they can still make a big, fantastic rock song with some real teeth. Thing is, they haven't been able to do it since Poppycock. I think all those years of floundering around the badminton court has finally caught up with the boys. They're better suited to more laid back, restrained songs.

I'm not saying they should join the Aleve Senior Badminton Tour just yet, but it might be time for a sound reevaluation.

Not a single friend of mine has bought the album. I suppose there's a chance they have, and they probably just haven't had the heart to tell me they bought it and hate it yet, but I'll just keep assuming they haven't. A huge number of my friends bought Atomic Bomb. I honestly wonder if it (Bomb) really did leave a sour enough taste in a lot of fair weather fans' mouths that after hearing a lead single like Get On Your Boots, they immediately assumed it was Vertigo Pt. 2 and had absolutely no desire to waste money on another crap U2 record.

I'm sure I'll really enjoy hearing them play GOYB when i see them live and all, but at the end of the day....it's a really dumb song. A REALLY dumb song. What a horrible choice as a lead single. To some extent, the song doesn't really even fit on the album. :shrug:

A huge number of my friends bought Atomic Bomb. I honestly wonder if it (Bomb) really did leave a sour enough taste in a lot of fair weather fans' mouths that after hearing a lead single like Get On Your Boots, they immediately assumed it was Vertigo Pt. 2.

I have a lot of friends who have had a sour taste left in their mouth by the 'Cock.

Damn, I did not know that. I guess I'm not ultra surprised, the lead single is probably the only thing most people have heard, and it's far from being the type of thing that's going to get anyone to buy an album.

To be honest, I haven't listened to a single song from it in the last month or so. Sadly, I don't really have any strong desire to either. I actually like the album too, kinda weird. Wore its welcome out quick I guess. Oh well, I have plenty of other things to listen to.

I'm still listening to it every other day/every few days.

Not a single friend of mine has bought the album. I suppose there's a chance they have, and they probably just haven't had the heart to tell me they bought it and hate it yet, but I'll just keep assuming they haven't. A huge number of my friends bought Atomic Bomb. I honestly wonder if it (Bomb) really did leave a sour enough taste in a lot of fair weather fans' mouths that after hearing a lead single like Get On Your Boots, they immediately assumed it was Vertigo Pt. 2 and had absolutely no desire to waste money on another crap U2 record.

I'm sure I'll really enjoy hearing them play GOYB when i see them live and all, but at the end of the day....it's a really dumb song. A REALLY dumb song. What a horrible choice as a lead single. To some extent, the song doesn't really even fit on the album. :shrug:

Yeah, I like it a lot, despite itself.

And to go back to the Poppycock thing, not a coincidence that both albums were both very dense, serious affairs with rather goofy lead singles. You think they would have learned their lesson.

I wonder if the reviews would have been better with a different single as well.

Yeah, I've got a bunch of fair-weather Shuttlecock fans and every single one of them hated Get On Your Boots. There's no doubt that it negatively colored the opinion of a great deal of people.

I like the song but it's the worst lead single in the band's history. By far. Shuttle my cock, Boner Vox.

I heard two opinions on GOYB: one guy said it sucked but was better than Vertigo, the other said it was pretty good. No one else in my high school listens to U2.

On a somewhat unrelated note, is their any moment more somber and emotionally devastating in the entire discography than "Love is Badminton." Get a load of this:

A little dropshot
Without velocity
No chance
for reciprocity
Baby...a dangerous volley
That almost hit net

Love is falling
on the ref table
All the practice
And we're just unable
Take the trophy
Sophie
Badminton

Love is badminton
I dont want to play
Wont you wrap the towel
Around me
Oh my cock
Badminton.

And if anyone (Laz, I'm looking at you) can understand the reference and relevance in my location right now ... well, then well done.

To some extent, I feel the same thing happened with the critics. Shuttlecock really used up much of the goodwill/momentum they built up from ATYCLC/the Elevated Cocks tour/the Super Bowl appearance with HTMAAS. Middling and faceless though it may be, I actually prefer it to ATYCLC because the songs are consistently stronger. No Net is superior to both, however, so it's a damn shame that it was released in this unfavorable context, although the band deserves some blame for managing the release poorly.

Sometimes I try to pose the question to myself, "If I hadn't been a U2 fanatic for the last 16 years, would I still like this?" With GOYB, part of me says, "Absolutely not". With most everything else on the album, I think I still would like it.

But yeah, as I've been a U2 fanatic for the the last 16 years, I still do like the damn song. It's just kinda the epitome of how wrong the band has been about what kind of music they think people want to hear and like for me though, so I have a massive love/hate thing going on with it. I hate the hell out of the thing, but still enjoy it if I hear it. :huh:

Riff, chorus, "Let me in the sound" = good.

Verses, "Sexy boots ... get on your boots" = cringe-worthy bad.

GOYC has never been more than a 7/10 or so for me. I enjoy it when it's on, but seldom seek it out. It's stitched together, and the seams are too easily seen. But I love that chorus. Always have.

Well I mean look at the chorus:

You don’t know how fruitful
You don’t know how fruitful you are
And you sure love to reproduce, don't you?
You don’t know how fruitful you are

Just completely uninspired. I don't think they're even trying anymore.

I don't really think of "Lancemom" as a big fun single or anything. I love the tune, but it doesn't quite fit into the same mold as GOYC and "Squirtigo."

"Discocock?" Yeah, more of a fun leadoff single. But it was actually good.

:lmao:

All I have to say is :rockon: guys. :up:

Oh, and I really, really don't like GOYC. It's extremely out of place with the rest of the album. Then again, it's not like they've ever been known for good sequencing on albums...

Discocock rules live, especially at its Squirto tour performance in Chicago. Pretty flat on the album, excepting the riff, which is one of Hedge's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom