Interference Random Music Talk Part III: The One Not Ruined by Sofia Coppola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating the purchase of the Four Seasons' Jersey Beat box-set because I want the new masters. But is the 76-song collection for $38 really worth it when I only really want about 12-15 of the songs? I mean, I could spend $12-15 on just the songs that I already know. But that's a worse deal. I mean, if I get all 76, then it's only $.50 each. :reject:

How many of those 76 songs don't you know at all? Because maybe you find another 15-25 gems on that boxset, that you wouldn't have discovered had you just purchase some individual songs.
Trust me, I'm a boxset freak. If I know an artist has a good boxset, I'm willing to buy it. Even if I don't know that many songs. There are plenty of examples in my CD collection (boxsets by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Willie Nelson, Jamaican Music, the Complete Motown Singles boxsets). Boxsets are the way to go, not individual songs.

:p

I listened to all the clips and at most 20-25 of the songs grabbed me right away. It was missing one of my favourites though. Connie-O (which hasn't been remastered in recent years). It was a b-side to Walk Like A Man (my parents have it on 45, so that's how I know it). My only dilemma is that if I wait til I have the money for it, it could be awhile before I buy it.

That entire section of the forum is going to need to be quarantined come March. I know I won't be checking it at all. That's why we'll need a thread to discuss it in B&C that doesn't get moved. But it will invariably get traffic from those who aren't in the established crew, which could skew things.

I've got problems, man.

Good idea. Like "Rational U2 Discussion Thread".

Good idea. Like "Rational U2 Discussion Thread".

Exactly. We know that the majority of the posts (read: threads) in that particular section will be of a fellating nature. In B&C, where people like you, scumbo, and myself tend to flourish, we'll be able to get a much better, more objective angle on the record.

I'm highly anticipating the record, but my expectations are very, very low. (I don't know if that makes sense.)

My expectations are high, but I think the discussion is usually dominated by people on both extremes. There's a lot of xavi drool fellating but there's also too much kneejerk criticism as well. Look at how many people use the crappiest-quality, barely-listenable field recording to begin new attacks on Bono's "diminishing" vocal skills.

If this album is any kind of new direction I think it will be interesting to dig a little deeper with a bit more objectivity.

Sent.

What the fuck, guys? I got a return to sender.

Last edited:
I just found out that the "let me take french" song that I kept hearing all these years on classic rock radio is actually Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider. I vaguely remember seeing some people mention Red Rider around these parts but know nothing about them other than that one song which I do like. Are they any good? :hmm:

edit: They suck, don't they?

I think we tried this on ATYCLB once but I wouldn't swear to it.
I think the mods booted it. Or maybe it was a thread about Howard Jones or Paul Hardcastle I'm thinking about, I don't know. Maybe Sicy or Wrath of Khananda can chime in on the idea. We could even disguise it.

Last night, I almost posted the thing Laz just said about both extremes.
I don't think it would be more objective but likely would be a more rational discussion about the actual music. Free of dozens of pages of fanboyish squeal and pure nonsense.

Semi nonsense isn't quite as bad.

a-ha deserves a thread much sooner than #72. I have much to say about them.

I know you're all dying to hear my opinions on the subject.

I just found out that the "let me take french" song that I kept hearing all these years on classic rock radio is actually Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider. I vaguely remember seeing some people mention Red Rider around these parts but know nothing about them other than that one song which I do like. Are they any good? :hmm:

edit: They suck, don't they?

Let me take French!! I lol'ed!

Red Rider are a Canadian classic rock band going back to the early 80's. They did put out some good stuff back in the day, and still record and tour together from time to time, although their vocalist, Tom Cochrane, has done a lot of solo work since then, too, and his solo work is now better known. In Canada, he's like in the echelon of very famous, established acts who have probably seen their better days, but are still much loved, anyway.

In one of those stupid Rush threads, I referred to having found out that a musician I met several years back was a founding member of Rush. That guy is also a member of Red Rider, among other work he does. I think he might record and tour with Tom solo, too.

You know the song Life is a Highway? Tom Cochrane solo. It must have been big in the US, because I've seen it used in TV shows and in movies, most recently an episode of The Office from the current season. I have his best-selling and (at least in Canada) most ubiquitous cd that this song is off of. I love it, and still listen to it from time to time to this day. If you want, I can upload and send it to you. Any Red Rider I have is on vinyl. After Tom's solo success, the band was often called Tom Cochrane and Red Rider.

Red Rider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tom Cochrane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few more Red Rider hits:

This one is from the early 80s, circa Lunatic Fringe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW48FOgIS1Y

A prototypical Canadian tear-jerker of a song about the demise of a young hockey star :sad: :wink: This one is from '88.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDDnOUKDQI&feature=related

I know you're all dying to hear my opinions on the subject.

:laugh:

You know the song Life is a Highway?

Yeah as soon as I saw that Red Rider featured Cochrane, I was like ohh that Life Is A Highway guy! That song was all over MTV in the 90s! I even liked the video. Btw, I won't say no to anything you upload and send me. :shifty:

Oh and out of those 2 youtube clips you posted, guess which one I liked more! It was just so-ooo much more the kinda of song I enjoy compared to the other! ;)

:laugh:

Yeah as soon as I saw that Red Rider featured Cochrane, I was like ohh that Life Is A Highway guy! That song was all over MTV in the 90s! I even liked the video. Btw, I won't say no to anything you upload and send me. :shifty:

Oh and out of those 2 youtube clips you posted, guess which one I liked more! It was just so-ooo much more the kinda of song I enjoy compared to the other! ;)

I'll get right on it. :)

Btw, the other stuff I talked about sending you, that's on my other computer, and I need to pick up a new mouse for it. When I do, I'll still send it.

Let's see, a sappy sad song, or a middle of the road rock song? I'm honestly not sure, you never know with you, lol.

Kanye West Caught Lip-Synching? - The Blender Burner

Kanye West Caught Lip-Synching?
Posted Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:35pm PST by Blender Magazine in The Blender Burner
Kanye West is well-known for two things: his awesome rapping and his arrogance. The guy's music is so intensely good it (almost) justifies his God complex. Every time the rapper gets onstage at some awards show and accepts one statue by claiming he should have won another one, we usually have to agree. West has encouraged us to expect such a superhuman level of perfection from him, it was inevitable he would one day not be able to meet it.

That day was last Saturday, when West performed on Saturday Night Live. Dude did not sound good. He was more American Idol blooper reel than Grammy-winning polished performer. So what was the problem? Well, it had something to do with the Auto-Tune feature--you know the part of "Love Lockdown" where he sings about a system overload and losing control? Well, he was living it! And it was also pretty clear that when he got to the high notes, he pulled away from the mic and let an offstage singer handle the tough stuff. The bottom line is that we saw behind the curtain of Kanye West's seemingly impenetrable awesomeness. So was it satisfying to witness the world's most egocentric rapper all exposed on national television? No, no it was not. People were outraged. How dare he...sound so bad!

The outrage was so intense that it morphed into a bizarre lip-synching accusation. Instead of blaming Kanye West for putting on a sub-par performance, people attacked him for revealing that all those robotic tweaks in his songs are not, you know, organically produced. (Um, guys, there's no Santa Claus, either).

We say the scandal is not that Kanye lip-synched through a live TV performance, but that he failed to lip-synch through a live TV performance. If he'd had all the right bells and whistles on board, we would have been all like, "Wow, this rules," rather than all like, "Wow, this hurts our ears." Just sayin'.

I'm surprised SNL is the performance they're jumping all over, not the abortion he performed at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas show. I thought the background he had for the SNL performance was awesome (forest with the lightning show).

Was watching a repeat of CNN's Heroes show today and during one of the biographies, the music playing was Hoppipolla and somehow it seemed perfect! There is such joy in that album. So I'm listening to it today, being Christmas and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom