Interference Random Music Talk Part II: The Wrath of Khan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Hold Steady really all that?

U2popscumbo and GAF and IYS are all fans, so they will say "yes", quite emphatically.

Me, I'll say that because of two of the three aforementioned interlanders, I really tried to get into them, but, just could not. I loved the music, and usually the lyrics, but the "singer" just did not do it for me......I see why they'd be appealing, but, they just do not do it for me.

Anybody here into Big Star?

I'm finally getting around to listening to the #1 Record/Radio City set, and definitely digging it at the moment. Great riffs, fun songs, good times.

Big Star = :up:

I like the new Hold Steady record but would like to hear some other of their stuff before deciding whether they get an overall :up: as well.

Anybody here into Big Star?

I'm finally getting around to listening to the #1 Record/Radio City set, and definitely digging it at the moment. Great riffs, fun songs, good times.

You'll also want to pick up Third/Sister Lovers at some point. Great shit on there.

And not sure if you've listened to The Replacements before, but Big Star was a HUGE influence on them, and they even went so far as to write a song called "Alex Chilton".

The "Fuck you, MTV" video:

YouTube - Alex Chilton

Children by the millions sing for Alex Chilton.....:drool:

Love that album, song, etc....

"Cerebral rape and pillage in a village of his choice.
Invisible man who can sing in a visible voice.
Feeling like a hundred bucks, exchanging good lucks face to face.
Checkin' his stash by the trash at St. Mark's place."

This song got me into Big Star. That's how shit works sometimes, yo.

I keep thinking you're all talking about "Big Country".

Dreams stay with you like a distant voice on the mountain siiiiiide
Stay aliiiiiive

I love that song, too, and no other song by them. I think the lead singer passed away a few years ago.

I have never heard the cover version, but I now hit "play".

A little trivia for you, Face to Face's bass player and the Foo Fighters' guitar player are brothers. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

You'll also want to pick up Third/Sister Lovers at some point. Great shit on there.

And not sure if you've listened to The Replacements before, but Big Star was a HUGE influence on them, and they even went so far as to write a song called "Alex Chilton".

The "Fuck you, MTV" video:

YouTube - Alex Chilton

I fucking love the Replacements, and now Big Star. There weren't very many 80's rock records that surpass Let It Be IMO.

I prefer Pleased to Meet Me, but I can get behind the sentiment.

And I'm pretty sure the Big Country guy killed himself. Probably when he found out that college basketball player had stolen the name of his band.

I prefer Pleased to Meet Me, but I can get behind the sentiment.

And I'm pretty sure the Big Country guy killed himself. Probably when he found out that college basketball player had stolen the name of his band.

A) Pleased to Meet Me >>> Let It Be

B) Bryant Reeves

When Craig Kilborn was still at Sports Center, if he ever did a highlight with Reeves, he'd work in the fact that in a Big Country, dreams stay with you.

I think I'm going to continue going through new albums till summer's end, and then spend the first few school months re-listening to these albums to get a better idea of how much I like them.

I'm listening to Soundgarden's Superunknown album right now. It's heavy. Matt Cameron is the drummer. He rocks. It rocks. The guitar player sounds like he's probably lived a dark and miserable existence. Chris Cornell screams like a banshee sometimes.

I like it.

I'm listening to Soundgarden's Superunknown album right now. It's heavy. Matt Cameron is the drummer. He rocks. It rocks. The guitar player sounds like he's probably lived a dark and miserable existence. Chris Cornell screams like a banshee sometimes.

I like it.

I like how you give everyone a heads up on Cameron being the drummer.

This album does rock, though. The title track makes me want to bang my head against things.

OMG, Chris Cornell is in Soundgarden?!

:wink:

I kid, I kid. Welcome to 15 years ago, GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom