Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Laz on this one, 100 %. I think I still have the same reaction Zoots is having, and I bought the album the day it came out.

That said, I don't harbo(u)r the deep anger and hatred at the mention of Wilco that I used to have, but that's probably just because people don't talk about them nearly as much as they used to. That or because I heard a song of theirs on the radio that I really liked... Plus, even I can't deny that 'I Am Trying To Break Your Heart' is a stellar song.

If you're going to listen via snippets, I'd go with Summerteeth for snippetry. That's probably their most "poppy" album, which isn't a bad thing.

And add me to the list of those who love YHF. (But I love Summerteeth more. :shh: )

LM, you're reminding of how awesome it was to finally see Wilco Live. And, it was the last night of their Chicago residency, to boot.....

I was thrilled with the setlist I got, but damn, the residency gigs were unbelievable. Makes living in Chicago seem appealing.

I agree with Fitz that the second half of YHF just runs out of steam. I prefer A Ghost is Born because the extended jams do much more for me than Tweedy's voice, which Zoots already voiced a concern about. He's pleasant to listen to but far from powerful, and to me it's what prevents Wilco not only from being an all-time great band, but even from being better than My Morning Jacket. I have a similar criticism about his lyrics, which at times can be fucking inane (e.g. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart) and lower my appreciation.

Now keep in mind I've been listening to Wilco since A.M. came out, though I wasn't familiar with Uncle Tupelo before then. I loved Being There, one of my favs that year, and was a bit disappointed in Summerteeth, which, as Cori pointed out, is pretty poppy and accessible, but at 17 songs is a real slog to get through, despite having some great songs. I admired the band's struggle to get YHF made and released, but I just don't see what the big deal is. You'd think they reinvented the wheel or something. The notion that they are the American Radiohead is laughable.

How about the Matchbox 20 of indie rock?

Ha wow.

I don't think I can put into words my distaste for that band. I think they might be the most obnoxious band of the last 15 years.

I love this smiley and I think it might be the best way for me to convey my feelings about Matchbox 20...

:yuck:

By the way, guys... since I've seen the huge amount of praise this forum heaps on Wilco, I decided to listen to samples of what seems to be their most popular album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on amazon.com. I'm sorry to say it does not sound very inviting :uhoh: Maybe it's the wrong album to start with? Maybe their sound is just not my thing? I don't know. I'm also curious about the Flaming Lips, the other much discussed band here. Maybe I'll listen to some samples of theirs too. :hmm:

What the hell is wrong with you?

The part where he didn't like it. And who's never heard music by the FLips? Something is very wrong with this picture.

LemonMelon said:
[Yankee Hotel Foxtrot] is a stone-cold classic and you should spend more time with it. Samples simply aren't good enough.
Seriously. ...you were talking about YHF there, right?

So I tried to listen to YHF last night to give it its 5000 chance. I made it all the way through one song, couldn't make it the full way through another. The album still sucks, and from what I can tell, the band does too. You all bought into hype. They are most DEFINITELY the most overrated band of our generation, and Indie Rock's John Tesh. Elevator music at best.

~ some of the above comments aren't to be taken seriously, some are

I only have 45 kbps 30-second samples from one song.

barf.gif

So I tried to listen to YHF last night to give it its 5000 chance. I made it all the way through one song, couldn't make it the full way through another. The album still sucks, and from what I can tell, the band does too. You all bought into hype. They are most DEFINITELY the most overrated band of our generation, and Indie Rock's John Tesh. Elevator music at best.

~ some of the above comments aren't to be taken seriously, some are

I know the serious comment is the part about listening to it 5,000 times :up:

Actually, that's the only joke. And as Nonesuch is owned by Warner, I guess they've never been an indie band. So that's a joke too.

:wink:

Hopefully you all realize I've been bustin' Wilco's chops here since 2002 (and most of that time I was the one and only person here who seemed to not like them), so at this point I feel like I'm required to make outlandish statements about my distaste as to live up to my "image". :wink:

At the end of the day, I really don't think they're that bad. They even have a few songs I don't mind. I personally can't understand why anyone would ever act like they're geniuses or anything more than just another band, but I'm sure many would say the same of most of the ridiculous crap I like. At the end of the day it's music and everyone is going to have completely different opinions and feelings about it, so it's all good.

:wink:

Hopefully you all realize I've been bustin' Wilco's chops here since 2002 (and most of that time I was the one and only person here who seemed to not like them), so at this point I feel like I'm required to make outlandish statements about my distaste as to live up to my "image". :wink:

At the end of the day, I really don't think they're that bad. They even have a few songs I don't mind. I personally can't understand why anyone would ever act like they're geniuses or anything more than just another band, but I'm sure many would say the same of most of the ridiculous crap I like. At the end of the day it's music and everyone is going to have completely different opinions and feelings about it, so it's all good.

:love:

I thought I was the only one who didn't drink the koolaid around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom