Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard about 1/2 of the new album and it's decent; not great, but not bad either. Though I really love "Lethal Enforcer", that song kicks all kinds of awesomeness. The "Chick Lit" video is pretty funny too.

And they're a fairly local band, somewhat close to my neck of the woods. They formed when they all went to the Clairmont-McKenna colleges in Pomona, which is about 45 minutes away from me.

Wow, that's awesome!

Yeah, I listened to the new album some more, and most of it doesn't really stick out to me. At least they tried to progress their sound (or perhaps further retro-ize it...they kinda went from post-punk-esque to straight up new wave)...it just doesn't really appeal to me and most of it seems monotonous.

With Love and Squalor though... :up: :up: :up:

You know, I don't own a single Black Sabbath cd or Kinks cd. :tsk:

You need Kinks albums like now kthx. I'll drop a few by via PM if you're interested.

When it comes to Black Sabbath, you at least need Paranoid. That is a very fun album, if a bit ridiculous lyrically.

The new Ladytron album is really solid. I actually loved the last couple, but they generally always had some filler inbetween the great songs. This one is surprisingly solid. Lots of synthy goodness to be had.

I've still got to listen to the new Ladytron. They're also coming to Melbourne, has anyone here seen them? For some reason I have doubts on whether their music would translate well in a live setting.

I'm also enjoying the new Santogold album muchly, :love: Some songs do remind me of M.I.A. (a comparison she must be sick of), but most of the album actually makes me think of Blondie more than anything else. And I like the "gold glitter vomit" cover a lot as well, :)

I've still got to listen to the new Ladytron. They're also coming to Melbourne, has anyone here seen them? For some reason I have doubts on whether their music would translate well in a live setting.

I saw them live when they were promoting the last album (they came through here again Monday, but I decided to not go last minute - I was actually on the way there and randomly decided against it). I don't know if it was the venue, the people I was with, or my general mood, but it was one of the most enjoyable shows I saw that year. It was entertaining visually, and a massive amount of fun to see the entire venue dancing around the whole time. A number of the songs were reworked live, and actually sounded better than they do on album in my opinion. I'm actually kinda mad at myself for not going to see them again now!

Here's some randomness:

I feel like G'N'R Lies is the "forgotten" album...sandwiched between the classic Appetite and the epic Use your Illusions...

0210.jpg

I spun this guy today for the first time in a while.

One in A Million might be my favorite Guns N Roses song ever.

And Patience is just gorgeous. I love the bit at the end, "I've been walkin' this pier tonight, just tryin' to get it right..."

Always makes me think of L.A. for some reason, and Axl nails it. This is some good shit, and I feel it doesn't get talked about a lot.

Patience :drool:

I don't like One In A Million too much because of the racist and homophobic rant he goes into in the middle of the song. But otherwise, an interesting EP. The alternate version of You're Crazy is awesome!

I don't like One In A Million too much because of the racist and homophobic rant he goes into in the middle of the song. But otherwise, an interesting EP. The alternate version of You're Crazy is awesome!

I don't like the electric side too much, but the acoustic side is pretty amazing.

From some old interview regarding One In A Million:

Q: Does it bother you that so many people think you're misogynous, homophobic and racist?

A: It can bother me. But the racist thing is just bullshit. I used a word that was taboo. And I used that word because it was taboo. I was pissed off about some black people that were trying to rob me. I wanted to insult those particular black people. I didn't want to support racism. When I used the word faggots, I wasn't coming down on gays. I was coming down on an element of gays. I had just heard a story about a man who was released out of the L.A. county jail with AIDS and he was hooking. I've had my share of dealings with aggressive gays, and I was bothered by it. The Bible says, "Thou shalt not judge," and I guess I made a judgment call, and it was an insult. The racist thing, that's just stupid. I can understand how people would think that, but that's not how I meant it. I believe that there's always gonna be some form of racism -- as much as we'd like there to be peace -- because people are different. Black culture is different. I work with a black man every day (Earl Gabbidon, Rose's bodyguard), and he's one of my best friends. There are things he's into that are definitely a "black thing." But I can like them. There are things that are that way. I think there always will be.

People are afraid of things that are foreign to them.

It's that way with everything, you know? It's that way with people who are of the same race or same gender. Maybe now and then they'll reach a point where something happens, and they bond, and they're really close. But they're always going to have their differences. The most important thing about "One in a Million" is that it got people to think about racism. A lot of people thought I was talking about entire races or sectors of people. I wasn't. And there was an apology on the record. The apology is not even written that well, but it's on the cover of every record. And no one has acknowledged it yet. No one.

Yeah, it sounds pretty weak to me too.

I'd also like to point out that Patience and Used to Love Her were both written by Izzy by HIMSELF, more proof to my theory that he is the true talent of that band, aside from Slash's obvious guitar virtuosity.

Slash :drool:

Unfortunately I'm not very familar with Izzy or how he looks like, since he kinda seemed to blend with the rest of the guys. :reject:

REALLY?? :love:

How did I miss this post?

Because clearly, you hate me. :grumpy: :wink:

I'll PM you.

... or no I won't, because you're not premium. You'll have to give me your email. I can upload the CD but would have to mail you a copy of the DVD.

How could anyone hate you, Cori? :love: :wink:

We'll make great pets
We'll make great pets
We'll make great pets
We'll make great pets

:whistle:

Because clearly, you hate me. :grumpy: :wink:

I'll PM you.

... or no I won't, because you're not premium. You'll have to give me your email. I can upload the CD but would have to mail you a copy of the DVD.

I'm still traveling for work right now so mail's not always a safe bet. But I'll be moving back to Los Angeles next month and will happily remind you.

And the audio would definitely keep my jones in check 'til then.

:bow:

What a bitch.

Well, hopefully I'm less of a bitch now because the Sufjan rumor turned out to be untrue. Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah instead.

Anyone know who The Big Sleep is? They're opening for BSS here.

I don't like One In A Million too much because of the racist and homophobic rant he goes into in the middle of the song

In regards to One in A Million, for some reason I had always thought that Axl was being satiric in those verses with the racism and homophobia...sort of playing the part of a bigot...

He makes those comments and then at the end of the song he picks up his voice and sings the line "Radicals and racists, don't point your finger at me, etc...."...trying to show how insane the prejudice of those words were...

And I always thought that was the true Axl coming through in the last verse...saying that he does not condone that language...

But now that I've read that interview that Laz posted I'm not too sure. Damn, I don't know.

Axl Rose. He's an interesting character isn't he?

He certainly is! :coocoo: :wink:

Okay confession time!!! Not that I have not made this confession before. :shifty:

Spice Girls :drool: my guilty pleasure! :yippie:

Their Greatest Hits CD is cracking! :dancing:

Could Land of Confusion be Collins era Genesis' finest moment? :drool:

I must have dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But I can hear the marching feet
They're moving into the street

What a kickass opening! :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom