Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, use the time to appreciate Nirvana instead. They're not overrated in the least, and Smells Like Teen Spirit contains the most original, creative, and innovative guitar riff of the past 20 years.

Wait, no.

Did I actually say that?

Wait, no.

Sonic Youth are worth not listening to.

I did say that.

You also shouldn't spend a dime on Sonic Youth records until you own every Jam album. And Otis Redding album. And Harry Nilsson album. And Willie Nelson album. And MC5 album. And Rory Gallagher album. and on, and on, and on.

What am I supposed to do about Sonic Youth?

I've obviously heard a lot about them...about the influence they've had on a number of artists...about how "noisy" their music is...but I've never given them a listen...

Well, I don't have their entire catalogue, but Goo is my personal favourite so far and I really like Rather Ripped. Daydream Nation and Washing Machine are good as well. Confusion Is Sex is probably not the best place to start but I love its weirdness and tuneless abrasiveness; the first time I listened to it it freaked me out... in a good way.

I mentioned this in the Andrew Bird thread, but I'm going to brag about it again. Each year, Salt Lake City puts on a series of free shows every Thursday evening. Last year I saw Yo La Tengo (Fiery Furnaces opened, but my ride showed up late....:grumpy: ) and Peter Bjorn and John (Apostle of Hustle opened). Calexico played one night, but I was out of the country.

This year's list of bands is finally "nearly" finished, and this is what it looks like so far:

July 10 - The Roots
July 17 - Andrew Bird | Josh Ritter
July 24 - De La Soul
July 31 - Yonder Mountain String Band | Keller Williams
August 7 - Nada Surf | Tim Fite
August 14 - To be Confirmed
August 21 - Broken Social Scene
August 28 - Neko Case | Crooked Fingers

2008 Twilight Concert Series

I didn't think that list could be cooler, but I've heard rumors of the "To Be Confirmed" date, and I will do a dance of joy if true. Let's just say said rumored artist's initials are S.S. and he likes making music about states......

The Roots for free. :drool:

You can pretty much guarantee I'll be at The Roots, Andrew Bird, De La Soul, and Broken Social Scene shows. :rockon:

This Tuesday is a pretty huge new release day for me. New albums from:

Weezer
Ladytron
Shearwater
Fleet Foxes
Opeth

Also a new DVD documentary about Low.

Bye bye, cash.

Well, I don't have their entire catalogue, but Goo is my personal favourite so far and I really like Rather Ripped. Daydream Nation and Washing Machine are good as well. Confusion Is Sex is probably not the best place to start but I love its weirdness and tuneless abrasiveness; the first time I listened to it it freaked me out... in a good way.

See, Hawk Jr? Listen to her.

NSW I totally agree with what you said about judging a band for myself. And I will, in fact, check out some Sonic Youth and report on my discoveries.

Hey, which interference clowns are coming to Lollapalooza?

I will be there. My first ever lollapalooza.

The reason I'm going to Lollapalooza.........

RADIOHEAD

I have no outlet for my loathing (since I don't want to go into the Coldplay thread and be negative, since people in there actually like them) -- but here I feel free to say:

I FUCKING HATE CHRIS MARTIN! HE'S A DOUCHE!

:) Phew. Now I feel better.

As I told my friends regarding Coldplay at the MTV Movie Awards, "Ersatz Bono performed pinchbeck U2's new song".

Seeing this thread halfway down on Page 2 makes me sick to my stomach.

So fuck it, I'm bumping this bitch.

And I'm going to bump it up with two particular videos from Pearl Jam's March 1992 MTV Unplugged session. Easily the best Unplugged ever.

Eddie is angry, Eddie's voice is particularly ferocious, Eddie is political, Eddie is wearing a backwards White Sox cap, Eddie is screaming, Eddie is ready to take the world by storm.

I used to watch these videos on Friday nights to get myself pumped for a night of binge-drinking.

State of Love and Trust:
YouTube - Pearl Jam - State Of Love And Trust (unplugged)

Porch:
YouTube - Pearl Jam - Porch (unplugged)

Hey, which interference clowns are coming to Lollapalooza?

I am :rockon: I made a thread for it awhile back

anyone into We Are Scientists? Their first album, With Love and Squalor, is catchy as hell. The new one is decent; I need to listen to it more

but I'm very much digging Elephant Shell by Tokyo Police Club :up:

I am :rockon: I made a thread for it awhile back

anyone into We Are Scientists? Their first album, With Love and Squalor, is catchy as hell. The new one is decent; I need to listen to it more

but I'm very much digging Elephant Shell by Tokyo Police Club :up:

I missed that thread. I'll seek that thread out. If you recall, we found out that we both watched Muse from the same basic area. I might have kicked you in the middle of their performance just because all that rock makes me lose my mind at times. I don't even know.

I missed that thread. I'll seek that thread out. If you recall, we found out that we both watched Muse from the same basic area. I might have kicked you in the middle of their performance just because all that rock makes me lose my mind at times. I don't even know.

It's okay, I rocked out like I've never rocked out before at that show. It's quite possible that my flailing limbs at some point assailed you, unintentionally of course.

Just wait for Rage. Oh man.

Seeing this thread halfway down on Page 2 makes me sick to my stomach.

So fuck it, I'm bumping this bitch.

And I'm going to bump it up with two particular videos from Pearl Jam's March 1992 MTV Unplugged session. Easily the best Unplugged ever.

Eddie is angry, Eddie's voice is particularly ferocious, Eddie is political, Eddie is wearing a backwards White Sox cap, Eddie is screaming, Eddie is ready to take the world by storm.

I used to watch these videos on Friday nights to get myself pumped for a night of binge-drinking.

State of Love and Trust:
YouTube - Pearl Jam - State Of Love And Trust (unplugged)

Porch:
YouTube - Pearl Jam - Porch (unplugged)

Good call. R.E.M. also had a great Unplugged, also unreleased, though I have it on VHS somewhere.

Rilo Kiley live at Terminal 5--New York City:

Well, I hadn't seen the band before and partially went because I just felt like going to a show. While I like Jenny Lewis a lot and a decent number of the band's songs, I can't stand Blake Sennett, and it was a bit of a struggle to sit through his 2 songs on lead vocals (NONE of this clown's songs are good enough to replace any of Jenny's on that short of a setlist), as well as his cheeseball posturing during the others. The guy's a fucking tool, and the rumor that he's currently dating Celebrity Groupie Winona Ryder only diminishes his credibility even further. Congrats dude, how does it feel to get with someone who's fucked half the musicians in rock music? Can you still taste Ryan Adams and Conor Oberst?

Anyway, they played about 5 songs off the new album (compared to 6 from the one before it), which is about as much confidence as I'd have touring with that uneven material. Luckily they played most of the best stuff--Silver Lining and Breaking Up, the decent rockers Close Call and The Moneymaker. The new stuff was rounded out by Blake's unfortunate mid-80's Fleetwood Mac ripoff Dream World.

At one point Jenny asked the audience if they would rather hear A Better Son/Daughter, or The Good That Won't Come Out. I would have liked to have heard both, but the idiots in the audience chose the former, which may have been because it was mentioned second, and a lot of the bandwagoners probably didn't know either.

Highlights--everything off More Adventurous (which was the album's first 6 songs, oddly) save Blake's Ripcord (where he had the nerve to yell "badadadada" over the chick playing the trumpet who was stealing his thunder), though some annoying couple behind me was talking through the first minute of The Absence of God, and if there was a God he would have struck those two down with a lightning bolt, believe me. They closed the encore with Portions For Foxes, which was great until they did this very awkward segue into the epic Spectaular Views from The Execution of All Things. First, this prevented us from hearing the great finish to the former ("...but I like you/I like you!"), but even worse they only played about 90 seconds of the latter. What was the fucking point of that? Play the whole song! It's awesome!

Other good moments included the other Execution songs, With Arms Outstretched and Capturing Moods.

If I made this sound bad, it wasn't. Jenny was in fine form and hit all her big notes, and had much more stage charisma then I was expecting. But a couple poor arrangements and the mere presence of Blake made it hard to call it a truly great show.

Oh yeah. openers Thao and the Get Down Stay Down were very cool.

Laz, that's cool that you got to hear a bunch of songs from More Adventurous, at least. I love that album.

Portions for Foxes is such a great song. Yeah, that is a shame that the ending was cut off a bit....but still...if I heard that song live I would be jumping around like an idiot and I would make a complete fool of myself.

I'm going to go give that song a listen right now.

The only song I've really warmed up to on the new album is Silver Lining...that's a good one.

Good call. R.E.M. also had a great Unplugged, also unreleased, though I have it on VHS somewhere.

Man, I almost wore out my VHS tape of that. There are several bootleg versions of the audio floating around out there. The version of Fall On Me is awesome, as is Disturbance at the Heron House.

I mentioned this in the Andrew Bird thread, but I'm going to brag about it again. Each year, Salt Lake City puts on a series of free shows every Thursday evening. Last year I saw Yo La Tengo (Fiery Furnaces opened, but my ride showed up late....:grumpy: ) and Peter Bjorn and John (Apostle of Hustle opened). Calexico played one night, but I was out of the country.

This year's list of bands is finally "nearly" finished, and this is what it looks like so far:

July 10 - The Roots
July 17 - Andrew Bird | Josh Ritter
July 24 - De La Soul
July 31 - Yonder Mountain String Band | Keller Williams
August 7 - Nada Surf | Tim Fite
August 14 - To be Confirmed
August 21 - Broken Social Scene
August 28 - Neko Case | Crooked Fingers

2008 Twilight Concert Series

I didn't think that list could be cooler, but I've heard rumors of the "To Be Confirmed" date, and I will do a dance of joy if true. Let's just say said rumored artist's initials are S.S. and he likes making music about states......

What a bitch.

Man, I almost wore out my VHS tape of that. There are several bootleg versions of the audio floating around out there. The version of Fall On Me is awesome, as is Disturbance at the Heron House.

I've searched for torrents but haven't found anything active. It's offputting at first how Stipe changed the vocal melody on some of the songs (I can actually hear that alternate Heron House one in my head), but some of them are very refreshing alternatives.

A video file would be optimal, as they were pretty entertaining on stage.

I've heard about 1/2 of the new album and it's decent; not great, but not bad either. Though I really love "Lethal Enforcer", that song kicks all kinds of awesomeness. The "Chick Lit" video is pretty funny too.

And they're a fairly local band, somewhat close to my neck of the woods. They formed when they all went to the Clairmont-McKenna colleges in Pomona, which is about 45 minutes away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom