Interference Random Movie Talk X: Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
the first six/seven seasons of frasier were brilliant. it helps that i saw it in isolation without having seen cheers before. it then really badly lost momentum and i don't know how they somehow managed a half decent second half to the final season. it wasn't until the later seasons that i even realised there was a laugh track.

That makes sense. I remember watching Cheers on Nick-at-Nite (pre-Fresh Prince) and loving the hell out of that show.

With Frasier, the writing was certainly sharp, never really too funny though, to me. Chuckle-worthy and clever at times, yes, but rarely laugh-out-loud.

we can only hope. there are very few occurrences where it helps. it's lucky that most shows i like with one are good enough that i'm laughing at the same time so it doesn't hurt as much.

Most definitely.

They show The George Lopez Show on there now.

It's been off-the-air for 2 years now, it's barely cold.

(When will it be okay for Serious Man quotes to enter the CLICK! lexicon?)

i know. i think i remember reading that it was a new record. i remember before nick at nite also had its own channel. they showed i love lucy and stuff like that. basically, things that had been off the air for decades. i think anything from this decade (excluding shows that carried over to the early 00s) can wait a few years before being aired.

i just hate that channel for making me sick to death of fresh prince. i used to like that show. now i just think will is a moron.

That makes sense. I remember watching Cheers on Nick-at-Nite (pre-Fresh Prince) and loving the hell out of that show.

With Frasier, the writing was certainly sharp, never really too funny though, to me. Chuckle-worthy and clever at times, yes, but rarely laugh-out-loud.

i remember seeing frasier on tv here and enjoying it. when i got the dvds i didn't expect to enjoy it as much as i did, whereas cheers hasn't really had the laugh-out-loud appeal to me.

i know. i think i remember reading that it was a new record. i remember before nick at nite also had its own channel. they showed i love lucy and stuff like that. basically, things that had been off the air for decades. i think anything from this decade (excluding shows that carried over to the early 00s) can wait a few years before being aired.

i just hate that channel for making me sick to death of fresh prince. i used to like that show. now i just think will is a moron.

TV Land is still broadcasting, right? I can understand Nick-at-Nite wanting to skew younger, as long as that channel remains untouched. I love me some Munsters.

i remember seeing frasier on tv here and enjoying it. when i got the dvds i didn't expect to enjoy it as much as i did, whereas cheers hasn't really had the laugh-out-loud appeal to me.

I doubt Cheers will hold up, but it's got as likable of a cast as any sitcom that I've ever seen. Except for Shelley Long, of course.

cheers is one show i never got into, since i was so young when it was on. i just remember thinking diane had a stick up her ass. frasier i liked a little better, though of course some of the stuff went over my head. i was a dumb kid (though some could argue i'm a dumb adult too). i can't remember at what point i stopped watching frasier. i don't recall niles and daphne's wedding at all, so i guess it was before that.

They show The George Lopez Show on there now.

It's been off-the-air for 2 years now, it's barely cold.

(When will it be okay for Serious Man quotes to enter the CLICK! lexicon?)

I think a part of my brain exploded when I watched an episode of George Lopez on Nick at Nite that originally aired in 2008 IN 2008.

TV Land is still broadcasting, right? I can understand Nick-at-Nite wanting to skew younger, as long as that channel remains untouched. I love me some Munsters.
yep. though tv land isn't much better! right now they're showing roseanne. then the cosby show. at least these are 80s sitcoms, though. i'd just rather there be more variety. instead of two hours blocks of one sitcom, how about one hour? or even just a half hour? that leaves 2-4 times the shows to broadcast. i wish they'd at least show the really old stuff in the middle of the night.

yep. though tv land isn't much better! right now they're showing roseanne. then the cosby show. at least these are 80s sitcoms, though. i'd just rather there be more variety. instead of two hours blocks of one sitcom, how about one hour? or even just a half hour? that leaves 2-4 times the shows to broadcast. i wish they'd at least show the really old stuff in the middle of the night.

Roseanne went well into the '90s though... yikes. With so many TV shows being on DVD now, it kind of renders this kind of channel a little moot, no?

Roseanne went well into the '90s though... yikes. With so many TV shows being on DVD now, it kind of renders this kind of channel a little moot, no?
yeah, this is true. and that's a good point. though the availability of a show on tv will help me determine whether it's worth buying dvds of the series or not. there's countless sitcoms i've loved over the years that i've never bothered buying just because they're on tv all the time.

yeah, this is true. and that's a good point. though the availability of a show on tv will help me determine whether it's worth buying dvds of the series or not. there's countless sitcoms i've loved over the years that i've never bothered buying just because they're on tv all the time.

Of course. I traded in my Office DVDs for that very reason. There's no need ever to buy something like Seinfeld or The Simpsons either, I guess.

funnily enough, the reason i got frasier on dvd was because of how shithouse the scheduling for it was. 6am weekdays, then once a week at 11pm, then mid-afternoon on saturday, then at 6:30pm*, plus it was all out of order....

funnily enough, i don't even know what the latest season i have on dvd is. it might be nine? i'm a completist so i'll eventually collect the set, but that shows how i feel about the later series of the show.

*=how i remember this four years later is beyond me, but there you go.

Of course. I traded in my Office DVDs for that very reason. There's no need ever to buy something like Seinfeld or The Simpsons either, I guess.
agreed.

funnily enough, the reason i got frasier on dvd was because of how shithouse the scheduling for it was. 6am weekdays, then once a week at 11pm, then mid-afternoon on saturday, then at 6:30pm, plus it was all out of order....

funnily enough, i don't even know what the latest season i have on dvd is. it might be nine? i'm a completist so i'll eventually collect the set, but that shows how i feel about the later series of the show.
it's pretty random here too. as far as i know, it's only on lifetime at 9 am and 11 pm. given how lifetime is, i assume they show the same episodes in the morning and evening too.

and i know what you mean. i know i'll be buying this season of himym, despite wanting to pretend like it doesn't exist.

i'm even questioning the wisdom in why i own family guy dvds. (comments on the quality of family guy to follow, i presume!)

I'd defend Family Guy up until their major comeback. Certain jokes since then have cracked me up.

Seth McFarlane's Cartoon Cavalcade is basically the random jokes from Family Guy without the strained context, and it's funnier for it:

YouTube - Backstage with Bob Dylan

Season 1 of Family Guy is bad. Really really really bad. I know people give that show a lot of shit now (it deserves it), but there's a reason that shit got canceled in the first place.

I'd defend Family Guy up until their major comeback. Certain jokes since then have cracked me up.

Seth McFarlane's Cartoon Cavalcade is basically the random jokes from Family Guy without the strained context, and it's funnier for it:

YouTube - Backstage with Bob Dylan

immediately either side of the cancellation was pretty solid, mainly afterwards imo.

that was hilarious.

Season 1 of Family Guy is bad. Really really really bad. I know people give that show a lot of shit now (it deserves it), but there's a reason that shit got canceled in the first place.

yeah. i'd agree with this. it's also really fallen off a cliff lately (as in, whatever we're up to in new zealand) where it goes out of it's way to be edgy and ridiculous, and that kind of forced effort from them doesn't work.

Yeah, I think the couple seasons or whatever right after it came back were pretty strong, but other than that it's entirely forgettable for me.

My biggest complaint with family guy is that they think just referencing something in pop culture is funny. nope. not funny

The exact point of the show's peak was the Aaron Neville megaphone

My biggest complaint with family guy is that they think just referencing something in pop culture is funny. nope. not funny

Exactly. Often times they just do carbon copy recreations of famous scenes from movies or TV, and that's the joke. Just that. Nothing clever or new to say about it, they're just referencing or recreating something we all know and animating it. It's really lazy and insulting comedy.

But they don't always resort to terrible humor like that. There are moments that make me laugh. I've got a strong love/hate relationship with that show.

I stumbled across this today, and it's of particular relevance to the conversation:

Family_Guy_Then_and_Now.gif

It's pretty well-known that I loved Family Guy way back when and hate it now. I chalk this up to my sense of humor developing, becoming generally more mature, and the show beginning to absolutely suck. Seth MacFarlane is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom