Interference Random Movie Talk X: Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Life Aquatic is the only Anderson film I've seen, and I loved it. What does that mean for the rest of them?

They're all more focused and a little less concerned with quirk and setpieces. Yeah, it's still there, but something like Rushmore feels like it could exist in the real world, even with its heightened presentation. That could also have a lot to do with Owen Wilson co-writing the first three as opposed to The Life Aquatic and Darjeeling.

When I think of directors getting "indulgent", I think of long set pieces, sappy cinematography and/or forced monologues. The nice thing about Marty is that when he gets "indulgent", everyone fucking dies miserable deaths.

Good point.

and a lesbian fuck session. m i rite?

Don't forget the Naomi Watts masturbation/crying scene. You kind of feel bad watching it, but it's still hot.

Attn DVD maniacs:

It...is...happening...again.

Barnes and Noble released ANOTHER 25% off coupon today, which is good 'til the end of the week. And of course, the 50% off Criterion is still in effect.

I'm leaning towards getting the Nikkatsu Noir set, which is basically a bunch of film noirs done in Japan in the mid-50's. I could also get Marienbad but I get more pleasure buying new shit.

This is financially destroying me, BTW.

Here's the link to the coupon:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email...ber-_-Merch-_-091119_NF01_NewLowerPrices-_-na

They're all more focused and a little less concerned with quirk and setpieces. Yeah, it's still there, but something like Rushmore feels like it could exist in the real world, even with its heightened presentation. That could also have a lot to do with Owen Wilson co-writing the first three as opposed to The Life Aquatic and Darjeeling.

You know me: all I need to get into a film is witty dialogue with good one-liners mixed in.

Awww, hell yes.

First Look: The Dream Machine, From Paprika Director Satoshi Kon | /Film

dream_machine_1.jpg

dream_machine_3.jpg

dream_machine_4.jpg

dream_machine_2.jpg

Yeah that was...strange. And then you see the billing on the cell phone for "surreal effects production" or something.

One thing I don't like is how the characters' eyes and mouths will sometimes get all exaggerated and all-white when they're angry, confused or excited. I imagine that's something typical in anime, but it's fucking lame as hell.

Ehh, it's all just part of the form. It certainly turned me off initially too, but the more anime I've watched that embraces that convention the more I've warmed to it.

First semi-professional sound-design gig confirmed.

I got my first materials today from this television pilot for which I'll be creating/mixing background sound-beds for the next three or four weeks. Guaranteed credit on the show.

Sweet. I'm guessing your mom will be sloshing on water-beds in the back room as well?

Some good reviews coming out of The Lovely Bones screenings.

Although I did read a description that sounded like ZombieCam is back, which is unfortunate.

No Peter Jackson is better than Any Peter Jackson.

The Frighteners is a blast. I'd like to see his early horror flicks before I make a definitive P-Jax statement, but I'm certainly not a huge fan of the LOTR/King Kong pomposity he's become synonymous with.

The Hobbit will kick so much ass though. THE DEL!

The Frighteners is a blast. I'd like to see his early horror flicks before I make a definitive P-Jax statement, but I'm certainly not a huge fan of the LOTR/King Kong pomposity he's become synonymous with.

I thought Lance was the only major LOTR detractor here?

I have issues with some camerawork choices and the treatment of a couple characters, but overall I don't know who would have done a better job at writing, directing AND producing the thing.

Plus he deserves credit for making a star out of THE VIGG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom