Interference Random Movie Talk X: Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madame Medusa from The Rescuers is pure fucking evil, and should be on any villains list.

Totally forgot about her crazy ass. She's in the Top 10, for sure.

An Education and Precious are both opening here this weekend. I think I'm going to see the former first.

danieldaylewis-nine.jpg

Don't be think in front of me, Lance.

A reviewer on AICN said Cotillard gave the best performance in the film, so someone thought so. Unless that's why you made that remark.

Also, I watched Love Exposure. What...the...fuck. Did you find out about this from some upskirt website, Lance?

Totally crazy but endearing at the same time. The training scene with the old pervert master near the beginning was fucking HILARIOUS. The yo-yo cameras?? YES.

Probably didn't need to be FOUR HOURS LONG, but I can't say it dragged at all. Also can't see myself watching it again any time soon.

Yeah, I saw that on AICN. But it was to be expected at any rate. She's just that damn awesome.

Yeah, more or less. I tried to see it this summer at NYAFF, but couldn't make it. I think it took top honors there. Definitely not Sono's best, but it was extremely enjoyable.

Any of you guys seen Costa-Gavras' Z and have any thoughts on it? I bumped it to the top of my queue after reading an editorial on it; it should be coming in this week.

Any of you guys seen Costa-Gavras' Z and have any thoughts on it? I bumped it to the top of my queue after reading an editorial on it; it should be coming in this week.

I saw it a long time ago, but remember it as being very good.

It's pretty essential.

danieldaylewis-nine.jpg

Don't be think in front of me, Lance.

I love DDL...I hope this movie isn't a fail cause there is two ppl in that cast that don't belong:
Fergie & Kate Hudson

Got my Star Trek DVD today.

An Education and Precious are both opening here this weekend. I think I'm going to see the former first.

I liked An Education

Carey Mulligan will get an Oscar nomination, but I'm not sure if she'll win...
She's gunna be in "Wall Street 2"

MVP-in-her-pants?

:lol:

Those 2 r enough to bring down this movie, no matter how good the rest of the cast is.

Speaking of potential train wrecks:

:|
YouTube - Miley Cyrus The Last Song Trailer

Miley Cyrus...accepted to Julliard? Now that's a laugh.

My brother and I are having an argument right now: why didn't Caffey call Dawson to the stand in A Few Good Men? I think it's because Dawson hated Caffey so much that he refused, even if it was an irrational decision. My brother thinks it's just a plot hole that they overlooked.

Well I just finished another Jean-Jacques Beineix film (same director of Betty Blue, Diva, etc.) and this auteur is quickly becoming one of my favorites. This is basically about a guy and a girl who meet due to sharing an aspiration to become lion tamers. The footage featuring the lions is just unbelievable, and pretty much suspenseful every time they step into the cage. They begin at a zoo, move on to a small traveling carnival, and then wind up at Germany's biggest circus.

This new DVD version (all of his stuff has just been released in the U.S., most of it for the first time) is a director's cut with 40 minutes of extra footage, and like Betty Blue clocks in at about 3 hours, but isn't boring at all.

Not as good of a screenplay as the other Beineix films I've seen, nor are the actors as interesting, but the main attraction here is the lions and they deliver. Plus, considering these actors had to TRAIN to become tamers for the film, they do pretty well on the other stuff.

So along with the other films I've mentioned before (Diva, Betty Blue, The Moon in the Gutter), throw this one on the queue if you want to see the best French filmmaking of the 1980's.

I didn't even realize he made anything other than Diva. I was really disappointed by that film, but should probably re-watch it, at some point. The hype surrounding it, at least in my circles, was probably too great for it to overcome.

Well I just finished another Jean-Jacques Beineix film (same director of Betty Blue, Diva, etc.) and this auteur is quickly becoming one of my favorites. This is basically about a guy and a girl who meet due to sharing an aspiration to become lion tamers. The footage featuring the lions is just unbelievable, and pretty much suspenseful every time they step into the cage. They begin at a zoo, move on to a small traveling carnival, and then wind up at Germany's biggest circus.

This new DVD version (all of his stuff has just been released in the U.S., most of it for the first time) is a director's cut with 40 minutes of extra footage, and like Betty Blue clocks in at about 3 hours, but isn't boring at all.

Not as good of a screenplay as the other Beineix films I've seen, nor are the actors as interesting, but the main attraction here is the lions and they deliver. Plus, considering these actors had to TRAIN to become tamers for the film, they do pretty well on the other stuff.

So along with the other films I've mentioned before (Diva, Betty Blue, The Moon in the Gutter), throw this one on the queue if you want to see the best French filmmaking of the 1980's.

It would be nice is you mentioned what the film was called, dickshit.

Haha, sorry!

ROSELYNEETLESLIONS.jpg

Also, for what it's worth, IYS, Diva is my least favorite of what I've seen of his so far, but I usually like my auteurs at their most indulgent.

You got that right.

Although it's hard to get more indulgent than Schizopolis, no?

Fair point.

It depends, I guess. The Life Aquatic is by far Wes Anderson's most indulgent film and that's my favorite of his. I'd consider The Royal Tenenbaums to be his best, today at least. Tomorrow it may be Rushmore.

I get that, and The Life Aquatic didn't really do it for me. I was really referring to my favorite directors. I like Anderson's work, but he's not exactly on my All-Star team. David Lynch is another person who at his most indulgent...isn't my cup of tea.

But other examples would include Coppola-- I love him chasing the muse whether it's Apocalypse Now, One From The Heart, or Youth Without Youth and Tetro. And then Marty, with Kundun, New York New York and Gangs, though I don't know if i'd even call the latter indulgent. The film was big and epic but it didn't disappear up its own asshole or anything.

I get that, and The Life Aquatic didn't really do it for me. I was really referring to my favorite directors. I like Anderson's work, but he's not exactly on my All-Star team. David Lynch is another person who at his most indulgent...isn't my cup of tea.

But other examples would include Coppola-- I love him chasing the muse whether it's Apocalypse Now, One From The Heart, or Youth Without Youth and Tetro. And then Marty, with Kundun, New York New York and Gangs, though I don't know if i'd even call the latter indulgent. The film was big and epic but it didn't disappear up its own asshole or anything.

The same argument can be made for Magnolia, too.

Anderson's in my Pantheon, but I understand why. I'm totally with you on Lynch, though I still need to check out The Elephant Man... I have a passing interest in Wild at Heart, and that's it.

Need to see more Coppola to weigh in there. Agreed on Gangs as well. Scorsese's a guy who can get "indulgent" in a sense but never ventures into the realm of pretension. I'd throw the Coens into that group, too.

Lost Highway is one of the most outrageously indulgent films ever made. And I loved every second of it.

I thought it was fuckng crap. A bunch of cool scenes surrounded by some not-so-cool ones that added up to nothing. At least Mulholland Dr had some substance behind it.

The Life Aquatic is the only Anderson film I've seen, and I loved it. What does that mean for the rest of them?

Agreed on Gangs as well. Scorsese's a guy who can get "indulgent" in a sense but never ventures into the realm of pretension. I'd throw the Coens into that group, too.

When I think of directors getting "indulgent", I think of long set pieces, sappy cinematography and/or forced monologues. The nice thing about Marty is that when he gets "indulgent", everyone fucking dies miserable deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom