Interference Random Movie Talk X: Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. I was pretty happy when I found the BDrip of The New World about a month ago.

Schizopolis came in the mail today. Not sure if I'm going to watch that tonight or start Season 5 of Weeds.

A lot of normal length 720p rips tend to hover around 5 gigs, 1080 ones around 8 or 9. I'd imagine, with The New World's run-time it would be closer to 12 or 14. So yeah, a bit too big for my trouble too.

I'll definitely do so.

I just got through episode 7 of Eden, and the plot has really begun to reveal itself as something more interesting than you'd expect, though with only a few remaining, I'm not prepared for any real conclusion. I'm sure that's what the two feature films are for after all.

Well, this thing got really addictive around this point, and I just spend the last couple hours watching the rest of the series. It certainly ended with a far stronger conclusion than I would have expected. But there are certainly more than a few loose ends, and I'm curious now to see where the two feature films take this story from here on out.

Picked up the Blu-Ray version of Heat on the way home from work. I look forward to great ass in high definition.

A BD rip?! Wouldn't that be like 20+ gigs? That's just too large for me to want to deal with.

It was compressed to be around 3 gigs.

Most DVDrips are around 700 MB, unless its split into two parts and made to be about 1.5 GB. Very rarely do you see real DVDrips at the full ~4 GB capacity.

mann51.jpg

If we're talking feature lengths, I never DL anything below 1.2-1.4 Gb in size if I can help it. Anything less than that and things start to become a bit painful to watch.

I've been doing a lot of Mega upload downloading recently, so 700 MB is the ideal length, since they have a 1 GB cap on freebies.

Yeah, most stuff I find tends to be at 700, but I agree with Lance, if I can find something around 1.5G I'll take that instead.

BTW, I found the entire Until the End of the World director's cut (even against the warning of someone here).

I don't remember if anyone responded to that post I made about the Phantasm series a while back, but I just finished the final (fourth) installment and really liked it a lot. Less cheesy jokes and effects and more atmosphere, with some cool time travel stuff thrown in, and a creative use of outtakes from the first film, shot 20 years earlier. Supposedly Roger Avary wrote a screenplay for another chapter, but god knows when or if that will ever happen.

I don't remember if anyone responded to that post I made about the Phantasm series a while back, but I just finished the final (fourth) installment and really liked it a lot. Less cheesy jokes and effects and more atmosphere, with some cool time travel stuff thrown in, and a creative use of outtakes from the first film, shot 20 years earlier. Supposedly Roger Avary wrote a screenplay for another chapter, but god knows when or if that will ever happen.

Yeah, I responded to that. Saw and enjoyed the first one a while back, but yeah, the cheese factor was high. Interesting concept though.

So the rest of the series is worth checking out? I've yet to delve into any of the major horror series (Nightmare, Friday, Halloween), and if this one is consistent, I'd jump this to the front.

Halloween is almost like 3 storylines in one:

The original, II, H20, and (ugh) Resurrection follow Laurie and ignore the events of any other films
4, 5, and 6 are all about Michael going after Laurie's daughter with Loomis is pursuit
3 is a standalone, but apparently pretty awesome

So yeah, don't know if anyone here is an aficionado for a particular series or not, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Since we're on the subject of horror films, Trick r Treat is definitely worth checking out. It's anthology-style like Creepshow or The Twilight Zone movie, but weaves in-and-out of each segment and has a nifty, albeit a bit gimmicky, non-chronological narrative. The interconnection make it a stronger film, as well as the fact that it's all written and directed by the same guy. Plus, it's all sorts of fucked up. Laz, you'll want it see it for Brian Cox (THE COX!).

Yeah, I responded to that. Saw and enjoyed the first one a while back, but yeah, the cheese factor was high. Interesting concept though.

So the rest of the series is worth checking out? I've yet to delve into any of the major horror series (Nightmare, Friday, Halloween), and if this one is consistent, I'd jump this to the front.

Well, the third part is relatively weak, but the second is a really fun sequel, and I just wrote about the fourth. The cool thing about Phantasm is that the same guy wrote and directed all four, they all feature the same major characters, and they were actually was trying to tell an interesting story. I'm pretty sure there's a torrent for the whole series.

With the other series you mentioned, not only are you talking about diminishing returns, but they're rather arbitrary installments for the most part: it's all about the killer finding a fresh batch of people to plow through and any kind of "story" is secondary.

For the record, I haven't seen Halloween III, and while it does have its defenders, it's mostly regarded as crappy. I haven't seen anything after the second part and probably never will, based on what I've read about them. Friday the 13th (all of them) is pure fucking garbage. Elm Street stopped being scary once you were rooting for Freddy, which started with the sequel.

Since we're on the subject of horror films, Trick r Treat is definitely worth checking out. It's anthology-style like Creepshow or The Twilight Zone movie, but weaves in-and-out of each segment and has a nifty, albeit a bit gimmicky, non-chronological narrative. The interconnection make it a stronger film, as well as the fact that it's all written and directed by the same guy. Plus, it's all sorts of fucked up. Laz, you'll want it see it for Brian Cox (THE COX!).

Interesting. I've heard the title but never knew anything about it.

Well, the third part is relatively weak, but the second is a really fun sequel, and I just wrote about the fourth. The cool thing about Phantasm is that the same guy wrote and directed all four, they all feature the same major characters, and they were actually was trying to tell an interesting story. I'm pretty sure there's a torrent for the whole series.

With the other series you mentioned, not only are you talking about diminishing returns, but they're rather arbitrary installments for the most part: it's all about the killer finding a fresh batch of people to plow through and any kind of "story" is secondary.

For the record, I haven't seen Halloween III, and while it does have its defenders, it's mostly regarded as crappy. I haven't seen anything after the second part and probably never will, based on what I've read about them. Friday the 13th (all of them) is pure fucking garbage. Elm Street stopped being scary once you were rooting for Freddy, which started with the sequel.

Interesting. I've heard the title but never knew anything about it.

Yeah, I'd love to check it out.

I'd say Friday or Nightmare operate in the way you're talking about, but Halloween at least tries to develop a mythos for Michael. There's a producer's cut of 6th one that's fairly regarded among horror fans, but apart from that, certainly diminished returns.

As far as III goes, it depends on who you talk to. H20 is worth checking out, since it focused on Jamie Lee Curtis' character again; it does recall a ton from the first film and can't stand by itself, still found it to be enjoyable enough.

Not looking forward to Friday; one of my friends bought the entire series for cheap because he wants to make a good slasher/thriller someday and learn from what that series does wrong (almost everything) and what it does right (a good amount of the kills).

I enjoyed the original Nightmare and was incredibly surprised by New Nightmare, but the jury's out on whether or not you'd consider it part of the series. The third one is the only other one with Craven's involvement and it's considered the only other one worth a shit, so I'd like to check that one out at the very least.

De Niro and Keitel reunite!!

Unfortunately, it's in another Meet the Parents sequel.

:no:

If they don't name it Little Fockers, then they'll lose the only joke of the movie.

Twenty Films Submitted for Best Animated Oscar, Resulting In Five Nominees Instead of Three | /Film

Neat. I guess it's official then there'll be 5 nominees. Of the ones worth noting, obviously I still need to see Ponyo (line that one up in the Thanksgiving weekend uber-DL queue), and might try to catch Astro Boy if it's still in any theaters around here. I'll probably end up seeing Mr. Fox just for Wes, even though I still think the movie look's outrageously ugly. Then Princess and the Frog comes out next month I guess? And that should cover it mostly for me.

Twenty Films Submitted for Best Animated Oscar, Resulting In Five Nominees Instead of Three | /Film

Neat. I guess it's official then there'll be 5 nominees. Of the ones worth noting, obviously I still need to see Ponyo (line that one up in the Thanksgiving weekend uber-DL queue), and might try to catch Astro Boy if it's still in any theaters around here. I'll probably end up seeing Mr. Fox just for Wes, even though I still think the movie look's outrageously ugly. Then Princess and the Frog comes out next month I guess? And that should cover it mostly for me.

You mean you won't go out of your way to see Ice Age???

Yeah, need to catch Ponyo and I might go see The Princess and the Frog when it hits next month. Don't need to say much more about Mr. Fox; it's my most anticipated release of the rest of the year, besides Up in the Air. Funny how they both feature Clooney.

I imagine I'll try to see Princess and the Frog at some point, hard for me to really get excited about it. Yes, I'm really happy about the return to classic animation, but that doesn't mean it's going to be good. I'll probably catch it at the $2 theatre.

I never got around to seeing Coraline, which I'm kind of bummed about.

I seem to be one of the only people in existence that didn't really like Coraline. Then again, I also seem to be one of the only people in existence that doesn't really like stop-motion animation either.

I know I saw the second Scanners but can't remember it at all :shrug: But I really liked the first one when it came out. Haven't seen it since, so maybe the cheese factor exists. But possibly taking into account when it was made alleviates the cheesiness a bit. Anyways, since I see D. Cronenberg directed this one, he had a pretty good run there with Videodrome coming a year or two later. Another good one. And Dead Zone to follow.

And I just noticed he directed Rabid. That was a fave of ours when it came out. Cheesy and starring Marilyn Chambers :ohmy: . In the Night of the Living Dead, etc... vein.

I don't know if I've ever seen a BAD Cronenberg film. His least successful was probably M. Butterfly.

Also, Lance re: Eden of the East, I now find myself muting that fucking Blowasis song during the opening credits. WTF? Bottom line is that there will never be an anime title or credit song that tops The Real Folk Blues, AM I RITE??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuMtH8fw4d4

BTW did you ever get into Samurai Champloo? I have the whole thing somewhere, but never watched it.

Most of the time I just ffw'd through the opening credits, but eventually I sort of just got used to listening to it, as lame as it is. For better or worse it's sort of part of the whole Eden experience for me now. :(

As for Bebop, it's hard to top anything about that show. And Real Folk Blues isn't even my favorite piece of music from that series by any stretch.

My favorite piece of anime credit music might have to be The Pillows' "Ride on Shooting Star" from FLCL, though. Light-years removed from Bebop in terms of tone and style, but it's maybe the only end-credit sequence I never skip in any series.

YouTube - FLCL ending - Ride on Shooting Star

As for Bebop, it's hard to top anything about that show. And Real Folk Blues isn't even my favorite piece of music from that series by any stretch.

Oh, no doubt. The music in the episodes is a huge part of why the show is so great. Nothing else even comes close.

My favorite piece of anime credit music might have to be The Pillows' "Ride on Shooting Star" from FLCL, though. Light-years removed from Bebop in terms of tone and style, but it's maybe the only end-credit sequence I never skip in any series.

I'm not familiar with this series. Will look into.

Never really gotten in to many anime series before, the length of some puts me off. Besides Serial Experiments Lain that laz mentioned, the only other one I've seen is Satorishi Kon's Paranoia Agent. Fucking excellent.

Oh Monkey. You have to watch Bebop. That's just essential to anyone interested in... hell, entertainment.

I seem to be one of the only people in existence that didn't really like Coraline. Then again, I also seem to be one of the only people in existence that doesn't really like stop-motion animation either.

You and Adam Quigley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom