Interference Random Movie Talk III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:

The best Moore, easily.

No specific comments?

I've heard fantastic things about For Your Eyes Only as well. Seems like it's going to come down to those two for the Moore era personally.

I'm not going to comment much on the specific films from here on out, since I'm planning on doing a fairly extensive recap review type thing once the whole thing is finished, which will hopefully be a fun exercise.

lazarus said:
Is bedtime at 10pm?

Live on the edge, man. Stay up 'til 10:30 reading with a flashlight under the covers.

I chilled in bed until about 12:30 finishing Crimes and Misdemeanors.

About to watch Marathon Man.

lazarus said:
No comments on Crimes? This is a MAJOR work.

I loved the narrative structure, how it drifted back and forth between Judah's past and present. Also, I loved the framing of the movies Cliff went to see with his niece in relation to the story and with Prof. Levy's footage scattered throughout. Solid acting all around, with Martin Landau and Alan Alda really standing out - he can really play an asshole. There's a lot more I can mention, but you can always ask.

I couldn't stop laughing while watching Cliff's cut of Lester's doc, that was great.

The ending was another downer, like Purple Rose, but it made sense. Like I said earlier, Woody's making a push to becoming one of my favorite directors.

I love when Woody injects Mussolini into the doc on Alan Alada he was making. Just making Alda look like a complete ass, and he's sitting right there watching it. :lol:

I don't remember the ending being depressing, he gets away with it right? I can't remember for sure. I know the old guy kills himself

Old professor in C & M > old agent advisor in Jerry Maguire :)

No spoken words said:
The Bank Job is getting good reviews. :shrug:

Who knew.

I did read today that Speed Racer is confirmed to receive a simultaneous IMAX release on May 9th.

This movie just broke into my top 3 for the year. :drool:

My first Netflix came in, gang. 3:10 to Yuma. Boy am I excited. Unfortunately, I've got two midterms this week that I'm pretty unprepared for. The Bale-man will have to wait.

Anyway, I'm getting back to being the film buff I used to be and I've watched the following over the last five or six days. I'd only seen one of them before:

The Darjeeling Limited
Magnolia
The Illusionist
The Bourne Identity.

I'd see Darjeeling before, so there's nothing to say. I loved Magnolia as much as I thought I would. The Illusionist was good, but not quite as good as the Prestige. And I'm glad I finally started the Bourne trilogy because that was one of the better action films I've seen in awhile and I'm looking forward to seeing the next two.

I sort of passively commented on this before, but, what the fuck happened at the end of 3:10 to Yuma. Impy has not seen it yet, so, no specifics, but did anyone think that ending was remotely plausible???? Laz? Lance? YLB? Monkeytownskin? Anyone? WTF?

Yeah, the ending was certainly over the top, but it certainly didn't ruin anything for me. There was just enough motivation set up to make it work... but just barely. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. 7/10

Lancemc said:
Yeah, the ending was certainly over the top, but it certainly didn't ruin anything for me. There was just enough motivation set up to make it work... but just barely. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. 7/10

Oh, my original post made it clear that I liked it, too. But, it's been a long time since I saw a film I enjoyed that much with an ending I just could not make myself accept as plausible. Still a lot of fun to watch Crowe and Bale go to work. Peter Fonda was enjoyable, too. Also, I like Alan Tuyk in just about everything, for whatever reason, including his turn as Ann's Father in Arrested Development.

No spoken words said:

Oh, my original post made it clear that I liked it, too. But, it's been a long time since I saw a film I enjoyed that much with an ending I just could not make myself accept as plausible. Still a lot of fun to watch Crowe and Bale go to work. Peter Fonda was enjoyable, too. Also, I like Alan Tuyk in just about everything, for whatever reason, including his turn as Ann's Father in Arrested Development.

"Who wants some sparkling apple cider?"

But yeah, like Papa Swayze said, the ending would've been better with more insight into Crowe's character. I can see him respecting Bale and his devotion to his family, going on the train and staying there in the final shot - that works for me, even if you're led to believe he'd escape again anyway. But the horse trailing at the end undermines that moment at the end almost completely.

The rest of the ending I had little problem with, but that's just me.

lazarus said:
No comments on Crimes? This is a MAJOR work.

I always thought the final scene between Woody & Judah had the potential to be Woody's greatest moment, considering the subject matter and the number of times he touched upon moral dilemma and questions of this sort. But I thought it missed that mark for whatever reason, I wish the scene would have been longer, allowing them to discuss the questions further. Or maybe have Sam Waterston join them, his character could have added another viewpoint to it all. But still, it's a great scene. And one of my favorite Woody films.

For whatever reason, I get Woody's character in this film mixed up with his character in Hannah & Her Sister's :huh: :)

He plays a writer in Hannah, and a director in Crimes, right?

Hannah is funnier and has a better cast, but I think Crimes says something much more profound and against the grain.

Definitely agree there. Hannah is much more typical Allen. Incredibly dysfunctional family, lies, betrayal & laughs. Woody's date with Dianne Wiest is a riot, as is his recap of that date later in the movie when they're together. And Lloyd Nolan & Maureen O'Sullivan are tremendous, as is Michael Caine. One of my favorite moments is when Max Von Sydow is railing on everything, as usual, and touches upon the holocaust. "The question isn't how did the holocaust ever happen, it's why it doesn't happen more often" :lol:

Crimes has some great moments of humor, with Woody of course, searching for something to believe in while thinking he has a brain tumor :lol: But it definitely is a more somber tone than Hannah. Getting us to pull for an adulterer, who wrestles with his conscience and comes so close to turning himself in. Thank heaven for Jerry Ohrbach :)

I can't believe that thing is all sold out. Are there that many people with awful taste?

I'd rather have a rotting corpse on display at my house (actually, if you count a crawlspace as "on display", I do).

Mother and I are perfectly fine, thank you.

Psycho2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom