Interference Random Movie Talk III - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #961
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Tom has a shot at second Gun | The Sun |Showbiz|Film

teehee

Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #962
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:04 AM
I watched "I'm Not There" the other day.

I'm not sure that I liked it as much as I was supposed to like it.

I thought that using 6 different actors to portray 6 phases of Dylan's life was interesting. Shooting the 6 in different ways was interesting, too.

I loved the scenes with Ledger most, not because of his recent passing, I just felt that they were the most human/touching, at least to me.

My guess is that if I was a bigger Dylan fan, I'd have liked it more.....but even more than that, I suspect that if I knew more about film itself, the technical side of it, then I'd have liked it, or at least appreciated it even more.

So, I enjoyed the film, for sure, but did not love it and cannot really see myself ever watching it again.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #963
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

haha, fair enough, i ended up loving it much more than i expected
and prior to watching it i was looking most forward to Bale's & Ledger's parts
but in the end I gravitated towards Blanchett's and Gere's, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire film through it's different eras and styles, but there was something about those two characters that i felt strongly about. especially Gere's, those scenes stayed with me days after the first viewing. uhhh,, sadly i have seen that movie at least 4 times
Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 AM   #964
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Gere's section was my favorite, contrary to most critics and viewers. Nothing beats Blancett's final moments on screen though.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #965
Blue Crack Supplier

Gere's has the most symbolism and depth to it, and Ledger's is the heart of the film, really.

Don't think twice, NSW, it's alright.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #966
The Male

I didn't care for I'm Not There. It felt extremely scattered and lacking in necessary focus. To me, it felt like a biopic that purposefully avoided its topic as much as possible in order to feign artistic brilliance (to the detriment of its plot); there's oblique, and there's not knowing what the hell is going on. I could understand what they were going for as a collective whole, but it was nigh on impossible to keep up with all of the intersecting storylines. Perhaps another viewing would clear things up a bit more.

Marcus Carl Franklin's part was the most successful IMO, although the scene with the animated whale made me want to beat myself senseless with the remote control. I'm sure some of you wish I would do that right about now.

Now.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #967
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Had this sent to me by a friend. I failed miserably with only 21 right
I expect you movie fanatics to do well. Don't disappoint!

http://www.files.arnodewever.com/Fil...%20Quiz_V1.xls
Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #968
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Hey, that was fun. thanks Lila.

I ran through it pretty fast and got 39 of 'em. I could have maybe figured out a couple more, but I decided to quit.

How do you figure out the correct answers, though? There were some that were really bugging me because I had no idea at all what they could be.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #969
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Gere's section was my favorite, contrary to most critics and viewers. Nothing beats Blancett's final moments on screen though.
I ask this for my edification, not as a challenge or anything.....why was the Gere section your favorite?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #970
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I ask this for my edification, not as a challenge or anything.....why was the Gere section your favorite?
You're a contrarian asshole.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #971
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Hey, that was fun. thanks Lila.

I ran through it pretty fast and got 39 of 'em. I could have maybe figured out a couple more, but I decided to quit.

How do you figure out the correct answers, though? There were some that were really bugging me because I had no idea at all what they could be.
I googled film title quiz and ended up at a website that had the answers posted. Were you the only one who took it?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #972
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
I googled film title quiz and ended up at a website that had the answers posted. Were you the only one who took it?
41 out of 60
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #973
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
The Gere section really veers away from the "story" of Dylan the most. After the motorcycle accident, when he "retired" up to Woodstock, the music that came out of that period had a much more Americana feel to it, heavily laden with frontier and biblical imagery.

I liked how Haynes used this as a jumping-off point to take Dylan out of time and place him in the setting of his own music and writing. Almost everything in this section seems to be symbolic, and borrows stylistically from the films of Sam Peckinpah (Dylan actually had a small role in his Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid) and from Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

All the costumes and make-up in the town/funeral scenes are so striking, and I find this incarnation is the one I keep coming back to for further insight, even if Gere as a performer doesn't move me as much as Blanchett or Ledger.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #974
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The Gere section really veers away from the "story" of Dylan the most. After the motorcycle accident, when he "retired" up to Woodstock, the music that came out of that period had a much more Americana feel to it, heavily laden with frontier and biblical imagery.

I liked how Haynes used this as a jumping-off point to take Dylan out of time and place him in the setting of his own music and writing. Almost everything in this section seems to be symbolic, and borrows stylistically from the films of Sam Peckinpah (Dylan actually had a small role in his Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid) and from Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

All the costumes and make-up in the town/funeral scenes are so striking, and I find this incarnation is the one I keep coming back to for further insight, even if Gere as a performer doesn't move me as much as Blanchett or Ledger.
Thanks....
Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #975
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Yeah... this.

I also love the symmetry Gere's section gives the entire film. When I hear certain reactions that feel his section should have been cut entirely I nearly cringe. It gives the whole film the thematic and structural balance it so greatly thrives upon.

Tags
movies