Interference Random Movie Talk III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost hate to admit it because I've been so vocal about my dislike of Shia LeBoooooof, but I saw a longer trailer for "Eagle Eye," and while my initial reaction to the shorter trailer was an overwhelming sense of "meh," the new, longer trailer actually made me kind of want to see it.

I've watched Mean Streets and The Last Temptation of Christ within the last few days. I'll have some write-ups ready after The Age of Innocence.

I almost hate to admit it because I've been so vocal about my dislike of Shia LeBoooooof, but I saw a longer trailer for "Eagle Eye," and while my initial reaction to the shorter trailer was an overwhelming sense of "meh," the new, longer trailer actually made me kind of want to see it.

Not a Shia fan, either

I liked the preview, too

Disturbia was ok, and this is the same director

Hey, there's a first time for everything.

That was child's play. Why some of these DVDs came with the "security enclosed" stickers and some didn't, I'll never know. Are 3 on one DVD entirely necessary?

I was bored, what do you want from me.

And I don't understand why ANYTHING that comes from warehouses like Amazon have stickers at all. It's ridiculous.

I was bored, what do you want from me.

And I don't understand why ANYTHING that comes from warehouses like Amazon have stickers at all. It's ridiculous.

I still laughed. I think I'm just still reeling from the Butcher monologue. Speaking of which, I'm due to write a Scorsese write-up for tonight after watching The Last Temptation of Christ, Mean Streets, and The Age of Innocence. Stay tuned.

Someone mentioned that Almost Famous was issued with a bonus 40 minutes, the Untitled version or something. Does anyone have it or seen it? I might have to look into this... :hmm:

Someone mentioned that Almost Famous was issued with a bonus 40 minutes, the Untitled version or something. Does anyone have it or seen it? I might have to look into this... :hmm:

I saw it a while ago so I can't remember if it added anything but I do remember enjoying it...

Amazon.com: Almost Famous - The Director's Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition): Billy Crudup, Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson, Jason Lee, Patrick Fugit, Zooey Deschanel, Michael Angarano, Anna Paquin, Fairuza Balk, Noah Taylor, John Fedevich, Mark Kozelek,

YLB's Scorsese write-up is threatening to turn into another Bond-a-Thon report.

It got derailed by an issue by a certain poster last night. Right now I'm watching Bananas. I'll throw in a review for that and Love and Death with the Scorsese reviews, too.

The Last Temptation of Christ ****1/2

I thought it was an interesting take on the story of Jesus, showing him struggling with his decisions as a man and not some high deity. Those scenes with Dafoe speaking to God wishing for an answer were powerful. Dafoe was baller while the rest of the cast was solid all around, especially Harvey Keitel as a red-haired Judas and David Bowie as Pontius Pilate. I know Bowie was only in one scene, but it further proves my theory that Bowie only serves to fuck shit up in movies. In this case, he decides to crucify Jesus - heavier than chasing a GAF-aged Jennifer Connolly with muppets.

Mean Streets ****1/2

Debut films are always tough to judge. You want to see the traces of style and thematic content that would fill the rest of the director's body of work, and you'll always compare it to his or her's "superior" film later on in their career - if not always, then in most cases. This film, however, was just so fucking visceral and exciting. De Niro's an absolute pleasure to watch, while Keitel fills the "troubled lead guy reeling with moral guilt" role that shows up in most of Scorsese's other pictures. If anything, this just shows anyone who wants to make a film for themselves that you just need a camera, actors, and a story, and you're all fucking set. I could see this being a favorite for a long time.

The Age of Innocence ****

Seeing Daniel-Day Lewis in anything is always a plus. Seeing Daniel-Day Lewis in another Scorsese film after Gangs is a double-fucking plus. What I dug the most was how Scorsese was able to supplant his style and themes into such a foreign setting, at least for him, and still make it work. Most period pieces bore the hell out of me, even if they deal with the same thing, but his direction keeps the story moving at a brisk pace. Like Scorsese said, it's his most violent film because it's so internalized, which D-Day and Michelle Pfieffer capture brilliantly. This would be a cool companion piece to watch next to Gangs for obvious reasons. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I can't see myself seeing this again.

Love and Death ****

My favorite Woody Allen early comedy as of right now. Most of the gags here just worked, and the whole existential diatribe about death and morality killed me, no pun intended. I thought it was a good bridge between his early farces and more relationship-based dramedies, like Annie Hall and Manhattan. Can't think of much else to say about it, but it's awesome.

Bananas ***

Still funny, but some of the humor either didn't work for me or just went over my head. The Wide World of Sports gag was the best, for sure. The constant music bothered the hell out of me, but that's okay. This was a shitty wrie-up, btw.

Teaser for The Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

And surprisingly it doesn't look half bad.

I'll surely be seeing it (especially since there's a good chance of an Avatar teaser being attached :shh: )

I found Love and Death to be my favorite of the early comedies as well, not including Annie Hall.

And one day when you've been heartbroken brutally enough, you can return to The Age of Innocence again.

Are you watching the Woody films in order? Not including what you had previously seen, of course? It's a good idea.

I found Love and Death to be my favorite of the early comedies as well, not including Annie Hall.

And one day when you've been heartbroken brutally enough, you can return to The Age of Innocence again.

Are you watching the Woody films in order? Not including what you had previously seen, of course? It's a good idea.

Yes, Age seemed like one I just wasn't ready for yet... but my kids are gonna love it. Did you agree with my other opinions though?

I'm going to try and view them in order, although I did watch Love and Death before Bananas, but within a day of each other. After this, I'll try and go in order, which will be:

Sleeper
Interiors
Stardust Memories
Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Zelig
Broadway Danny Rose
Radio Days
September
Another Woman
Alice
Shadows and Fog

Sleeper to Interiors will be the most radical jump, but what can I do? I'll watch either Sleeper, L.A. Confidential, or Chinatown tonight - leaning toward the former, as of now.

Teaser for The Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

And surprisingly it doesn't look half bad.

I'll surely be seeing it (especially since there's a good chance of an Avatar teaser being attached :shh: )

I hope it gets right what the War of the Worlds remake got wrong... and doesn't suck. I really love the original, too.

Has their ever been an actor you cannot stand, yet you liked him in one thing?

For me, that's Tim Allen. Cannot stand him, his TV series sucked, his movies make me cringe....but, he was the lead in Galaxy Quest, and I like that movie a lot.

So, anyway, am flipping around today, and it's on.....so I'm watching.....and fucking Dwight Schrute is one of the aliens!!! The second he opened his mouth, I yelled "Dwight fucking Schrute".

So, yeah, this is how I kill time before going to a BBQ.

Sam Rockwell's scenes alone are worth the price of admission. Right before the get transported to the aline trip, he's in that warehouse talking to some girl, and all you hear is her say "but you live with your Mother" and then the rest of the crew show up...fucking priceless.

"But you have a last name"

"Do I? DO I?!!?!?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom