Interference Random Movie Talk III - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #406
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Yeah, Boogie Nights definitely feels less impressive when you reflect on how derivative it is. It's hugely entertaining, but pretty lightweight compared to what it's inspired by.

No further comments? I'd like to hear your comparison of its blunt realism in portraying the mob to The Godfather's operatic glorification.

And of course, you also need to see Once Upon a Time in America to watch what I believe is the best of all the gangster films.
I was waiting until you were on to have some type of discussion. It would be interesting to watch GP 1 and 2, then Goodfellas, to see the time progression and change in mafia or something.

Joe Pesci's an absolute force in every scene he's in, definitely the most entertaining character of the whole movie. Although I did enjoy Paul Sorvino's restrained father figure conflicting with De Niro's slick worse influence.

I really dug Scorsese's use of color - reds during scenes of debauchery or violence in particular and decision to make the coked-up section of the flick filled with as many crazy shots and jumpcuts as Michael Bay's biggest wet dream.

This is something I'll enjoy far more upon second viewing or discussion, but I can see it falling into my favorite movies list in the future.

9 or a 10 for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

I love that little eyebrow-raise that ScarJo gives at 0:55.
Desktop'd.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #407
45:33

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Has anyone seen Shine a Light yet? I reckon it looks mad.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #408
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Laz... come on!

And D-Day in a musical???

http://www.variety.com/VR1117985677.html
Old 05-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
D-Day in Nine is just about the craziest news all week. That would be insanely amazingly spectacularly awesome.

As for Goodfellas, now one of my favorite Scorsese picks. Expertly made to be sure, but it just doesn't rock me too much. Not a particularly big fan of Liotta, and even less so of DeNiro.

Watch Once Upon A Time In America LMP. Best gangster movie of all time, and in my overall top 10. Despite the DeNiro-age in it.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #410
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:16 AM
I saw GoodFellas when it came out, and perhaps my nostalgia has clouded my judgement. But I feel that it's been ripped off so many times its merit and originality is hard to appreciate now.

If you consider the glorified mafia films of the past, it was a very refreshing and sobering look at the life those people lead. It's also totally responsible for the existence of stuff like The Sopranos.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #411
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
D-Day in Nine is just about the craziest news all week. That would be insanely amazingly spectacularly awesome.

As for Goodfellas, now one of my favorite Scorsese picks. Expertly made to be sure, but it just doesn't rock me too much. Not a particularly big fan of Liotta, and even less so of DeNiro.

Watch Once Upon A Time In America LMP. Best gangster movie of all time, and in my overall top 10. Despite the DeNiro-age in it.
I liked Liotta, but he was the weakest link in the cast for sure. You're not a big De Niro fan? I haven't seen enough of his "big" films to make a proper assessment, but I've enjoyed him when he doesn't mail it in.

Once Upon a Time... is definitely on the radar, thanks for that suggestion, guys.

And yeah Laz, that's what I loved so much about this film, it objectively looks at the lifestyle they lead and doesn't make any attempt to glorify it. That turns me off from any crime-based or super amoral film - American Gangster is a prime example.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #412
Blue Crack Supplier

OH YEAH.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #413
Blue Crack Addict

Hell yes.

That is one badass one-sheet.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

Looks like Uncle Jim will in fact be following Avatar will a much smaller dramatic picture.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...2e40457c0ebf76

Turns out it's likely to be The Dive, a controversial film he's been attached to for a long time. I say expect to this thing one some time in 2011.

Of course that means Battle Angel won't likely see the light of day any time before 2012 now, probably even later. But I'm fine with that. I really want to see The Dive come to fruition.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...280880,00.html

Awesome.

I know everyone's unsure about Kaufman's directing abilities, and rightly so. But judging from this I don't think we have much to worry about. All he really has to do is execute some basic solid work considering the script for this flick is one of the very best I've ever seen.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #416
Blue Crack Supplier

Lance, read your Speed Racer review. I really enjoyed reading it and appreciate the effort you put into conveying your thoughts. I have spoken to a few friends back in LA, some in the industry, some not in it, and have heard mixed things. I want to see it for myself on an IMax screen, regardless of the reviews and such. I suspect I'll not like it nearly as much as you did, but it still seems like something I need to see in a theater.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #417
Blue Crack Addict

I seemed to appreciate and enjoy Speed Racer in much the same capacities in which I appreciate and enjoy the Matrix sequels (which I both appreciate and enjoy much more than most people seem to). Meaning in terms of their ambitions, technical innovations and visionary conceptions, beautiful compositions and often unrivaled action sensibilities. All three films suffer in other areas though, but I feel it balances more in their favor (Revolutions less so, however, I'd still score that one about a 6) from my perspective.

Just the same, I think Speed Racer is the easiest of the three to enjoy in a more superficial and relaxed manner, though I may be wrong there too considering the generally negative critical and commercial responce.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #418
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

If a film's easy to bash and has inklings of negativity, it's gonna snowball into a full-blown spiral of hate, which is pretty much what's happened to Speed Racer.

By the time Indy and probably Kung Fu Panda come out (gonna go IMAX), Speed'll probably be out of theaters.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #419
Blue Crack Addict

Oh yeah, Speed's days are definitely numbered. But it's likely to see a pretty healthy run in Japan supposedly, which might at least rescue it from complete financial destruction.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #420
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Oh yeah, Speed's days are definitely numbered. But it's likely to see a pretty healthy run in Japan supposedly, which might at least rescue it from complete financial destruction.
If it makes $150 mil worldwide, it'll be lucky. Hopefully merch and DVD/Blu-ray will help re-coup. If I get a Blu-ray player anytime soon, I'd definitely want to rent it.

Tags
movies