Interference Random Movie Talk III - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #346
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Good read. It conveniently skims over many of the film's glaring flaws though, in light on reading far too deeply into the thematic or artistic relevance of the picture. He addresses some or the performances weaknesses, but ignores the often painful dialogue they're asked to read.

However, I do think he read the film's intentions correctly, and it's the moments of fleeting beauty that make it lovable. It's remarkably light-weight for Wong, and less narratively-propulsive than pretty much anything he's done before. As such, the flaws are extremely present. But like I said, it's still rich with his style and keen eye for beauty, and unexpected moments like Weisz' final monologue, a cameo appearance from Chan Marshall, and a candid look at Portman's character's only scene alone in the film really make a case for its power. Yeah, it's light fare, not really comparable to something heady like Happy Together or 2046, but when taken with Chunking Express (a similar film in tone) MBN really falls short.

Fortunately WKW falling short is still more satisfying than a lot of other directors' greater efforts.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #347
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Where's a good place to start for Wong? 2046? Chungking Express?
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #348
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 12:29 PM
I started with 2046. It worked out beautifully for me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it first.

Chunking Express is probably a decent start, but it's fairly light-weight, and not one of my favorites of his (still probably a 9/10 just the same).

Haven't seen Ashes of Time. Waiting for the Redux of that which is supposed to debut at Cannes next month.

I'd say start with Days of Being Wild, his second film, and it's easy to see his career grow from there. Maybe watch In The Mood For Love after that, which leads nicely into 2046. Check out Chunking Express and Fallen Angels somewhere in the middle of that. Fallen Angels is my second favorite of his, and pretty much untouchable in its own ways. Happy Together could fit in anywhere in there, as it's a fairly self-contained project.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #349
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I started with 2046. It worked out beautifully for me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it first.

Chunking Express is probably a decent start, but it's fairly light-weight, and not one of my favorites of his (still probably a 9/10 just the same).

Haven't seen Ashes of Time. Waiting for the Redux of that which is supposed to debut at Cannes next month.

I'd say start with Days of Being Wild, his second film, and it's easy to see his career grow from there. Maybe watch In The Mood For Love after that, which leads nicely into 2046. Check out Chunking Express and Fallen Angels somewhere in the middle of that. Fallen Angels is my second favorite of his, and pretty much untouchable in its own ways. Happy Together could fit in anywhere in there, as it's a fairly self-contained project.
So, in this order?:

Days of Being Wild
Chungking Express
Fallen Angels
In the Mood for Love
2046
Happy Together
Ashes of Time
My Blueberry Nights?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #350
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 08:29 AM
Approved.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Twice-approved. Don't forget about As Tears Go By, which I actually really enjoyed. Watch it before or after My Blueberry Nights.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #352
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Alright. Blueberry's his first English language-film, right?

I've got a few movies to watch on the Netflix queue, but I'll start adding these in there, too. Thanks for the input, guys.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

As for Darth Maul's appearance, you may have noticed Qui-Gon and Anakin are both running before he shows up, without any explanation as to why. I think there's a deleted scene (which may or may not be on the DVD) where Qui-Gon discovers and destroys one of the probe droids, which causes him to accelerate their return to the ship. It's definitely in the screenplay.
It's not on the DVD. Would have made a great scene though.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #354
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


It's not on the DVD. Would have made a great scene though.
You're a big Lynch fan, where's a good place to get started? I've already seen Dune, which is weird and awesome in a whole bunch of ways, but think it's time to actually watch his stuff.

Is Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive good start-off points?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #355
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


You're a big Lynch fan, where's a good place to get started? I've already seen Dune, which is weird and awesome in a whole bunch of ways, but think it's time to actually watch his stuff.

Is Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive good start-off points?
I think Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is his best work but Blue Velvet is sort of the template of his style: dark, violent and surreal. I'd start there though the pilot episode of Twin Peaks is a good next step. It is two of the best hours in television history.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #356
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


I think Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is his best work but Blue Velvet is sort of the template of his style: dark, violent and surreal. I'd start there though the pilot episode of Twin Peaks is a good next step. It is two of the best hours in television history.
Alright, thank you. Would this be a good way to do it?:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Twin Peaks / TP: Fire Walk with Me
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Inland Empire
---
His various short films and etc...

I'm going to watch this all on my iPod, too, just for him.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #357
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


Alright, thank you. Would this be a good way to do it?:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Twin Peaks / TP: Fire Walk with Me
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Inland Empire
---
His various short films and etc...

I'm going to watch this all on my iPod, too, just for him.
That sounds good.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #358
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Cool beans.

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #359
Refugee
 
monkeyskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,489
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


Alright, thank you. Would this be a good way to do it?:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Twin Peaks / TP: Fire Walk with Me
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Inland Empire
---
His various short films and etc...

I'm going to watch this all on my iPod, too, just for him.
This and your WKW lists are pretty good, like peeps have already said.

And I know that last comment is tongue in cheek but you really are doing most films a disservice by watching them on an iPod. My parents were strict on films I could and couldn't watch before I was 15 and 18 too but it's really better to wait. There's no shortage of other great films to watch in the meantime.
__________________
monkeyskin is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #360
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin


This and your WKW lists are pretty good, like peeps have already said.

And I know that last comment is tongue in cheek but you really are doing most films a disservice by watching them on an iPod. My parents were strict on films I could and couldn't watch before I was 15 and 18 too but it's really better to wait. There's no shortage of other great films to watch in the meantime.
I'm going to re-watch every movie I saw on it as soon as I can. There's no way I was able to take everything in on a screen that small, but I was so anxious to see those movies that I couldn't wait.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
 

Tags
movies

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com