Interference Random Movie Talk III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I think it will definitely recoup its losses when all is said and done in the home entertainment market.

But I don't think it will even break even with its 180 million dollar budget in its theatrical run, let alone make WB any profit.

Just an entirely new cast and crew aside from Jameson and Howard's Gwen Stacy who should replace MJ altogether in the plot.

I think they've gotta go Batman Forever on it and re-boot. Hopefully it won't suck as badly.

It would be great if Marvel can get back the rights and put Spidey in the whole Avengers series they're tryin' to do.

Well, we aint gonna see a reboot, if this story is true. But it certainly wouldn't kill me to just change everything up mid-series.

An easy two-villain combo would be The Lizard and Kraven.

And I've been playin' Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the 360 this weekend... the possibilities for awesome Marvel flicks are endless.

Other really random movie thing:

I was watching The Matrix: Revolutions - Revisited DVD earlier, and they were discussing the miniatures and models used for the Zion siege sequence, and who else is in the frame working on stuff but good old Adam Savage, before his Discovery Channel fame of busting myths, still a lowly visual effects peon.

I enjoyed Moulin Rouge way more than I expected, maybe I'll like this one, too.

Hugh Jackman always delivers the goods, too.

I want to say this:

I just watched the Fountain recently, and, then went and read like 4-5 reviews on it, and, so help me, every single review totally missed what seems to me to be something quite obvious about the three different "stories". I'll not say it here cos I guess it'd be a spolier, but, wow, were they either lazy or just oblivious. And understanding what it is I think that they missed would have provided them with some clarity and lessened confusion and perhaps enhanced their opinion of the film.

The Fountain got WAY too much shit. We could use more films that try to do something different.

It's one I've planned on rewatching for some time now.

And that Australia looks AMAZING. It will be nice to see Jackman get the recognition he's come close to getting but never really has, and I mean that from an awards and popularity standpoint. Good for him that Russell Crowe dropped out, even if the former may be a better actor.

I liked the Fountain a lot, and wonder what would have been had the budget not been slashed in half. I admired the scope.

I just cannot understand how one could watch that film, especially in a professional capacity, and totally misunderstand what two of the three parts really are.

I remember watching Jackman on Inside the Actor's Studio and being really impressed with him. I look forward to this film.

I love The Fountain, it held up great too watching it at home after the wonderful big screen experience.

On another forum I go on there was a some debate for a while regarding the future / baldy segments and reading a few interviews it seems that Arronofsky intends for those parts to be up for individual interpretation. Not sure how anyone could misunderstand the Mayan scenes though :shrugs:

Went out and bought the Youth Without Youth DVD today.

It was much more wonderful, perplexing, surprising, unusual and unnerving than I had ever anticipated it would be, but it was also several orders of magnitude more beautiful than I could have dreamed, and if I were to retroactively re-designate my year end award nods for 2007 this one would definitely take home my personal cinematography and original score recognitions.

That said, it really was quite unusual and off-putting, but I still had a strong desire to watch it over again from the beginning as soon as it was done, so it will definitely call for at least one more viewing before I start to figure it all out.

One thing is obvious though, Coppola is definitely back on his game, even though it's a completely different game that he's been playing for a while now. I can't fucking wait for Tetro next year.

BTW, 2009 is seriously shaping up to be my favorite movie year of my lifetime.

Nice. I thought last year was somewhat weak in the score department, so I think I'd agree with your assessment. Cinematography, though...that's tough.

And wasn't this shot on digital?

Just dropping by to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Speed Racer in the Imax theatre. See it just for how gorgeous it is visually if nothing else. I'm not sure I would want to see it now non-Imax or dvd. It was really spectacular in Imax. I went twice and I enjoyed it even more the second time because visually it's alot to take in. Prettiest movie I've seen in awhile. :up:

What movies are on your '09 list, Lance?

Avatar, Watchmen, Star Trek, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Public Enemies, The Year One, Where the Wild Things Are, Shutter Island, Wolverine, Lincoln, Tintin, Tetro, and the potential Arrested Development movie?

lazarus said:
Nice. I thought last year was somewhat weak in the score department, so I think I'd agree with your assessment. Cinematography, though...that's tough.

And wasn't this shot on digital?

Indeed it was. According to IMDB he shot using a Sony HDC-F950.

http://tech.commongate.com/post/Sony_Intros_CineAlta_F23_High-End_HD_Camera

It certainly is tough to compete with Deakins' and Elswit's work, but I'm not sure even their stuff this year can compete with some of the compositions in this sucker, or maybe I'm still on a first-viewing-high.

LemonMacPhisto said:
What movies are on your '09 list, Lance?

Avatar, Watchmen, Star Trek, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Public Enemies, The Year One, Where the Wild Things Are, Shutter Island, Wolverine, Lincoln, Tintin, Tetro, and the potential Arrested Development movie?

Plus and minus a few yeah:

Tree of Life - Malick
Nine - Rob Marshall
Tetro
Public Enemies
Mr. Fox
Shutter Island
Tintin
Ninja Assassin - McTeague and Wachowskis
Ghost in the Shell - Spielberg produced 3D
Watchmen
Star Trek
Where the Wild Things Are (if it ever happens)
Akira

and I know there's some stuff I'm forgetting too. But that alone is a hell of a year.

And I know know for certain one way or another, but John Woo's epic Red Cliff and Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea could very well slip into 2009 for North American release.

Other 2009 films that I'm not necessarily excited about for quality, but are interesting and I'll likely see anyway include Jackson's The Lovely Bones, Jurassic Park IV, Terminator 4, Monsters Vs Aliens, and Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol.

And it looks like Coppola is taking both the composer and DP from Youth Without Youth into the Tetro production as well, which of course if friggen great.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Miyazaki is already slated for 2009.

You may even be able to buy the DVD from Japan before it arrives here.

Did anyone see his son's Earthsea adaptation? That's on import DVD as well, but because Sci-Fi owns the rights to LeGuin's book it can't open in the U.S. for a few more years.

lazarus said:
I'm pretty sure the Miyazaki is already slated for 2009.

You may even be able to buy the DVD from Japan before it arrives here.

Did anyone see his son's Earthsea adaptation? That's on import DVD as well, but because Sci-Fi owns the rights to LeGuin's book it can't open in the U.S. for a few more years.

Is that 2009 in Japan or the rest of the world? They always seem to take a loooong time to export.

Didn't get chance to see Tales of Earthsea as the only place in town that showed it treated it like a little kiddies film and only had it on during office hours. I'll have to rent it sometime.

On another note I watched Bogdanivich's What's Up Doc? and Paper Moon over the past week. Both of them absolutely ace :up:

I've never been too big into Anime, so Ghost in the Shell and Akira don't interest me too much apart from who's involved in adapting them. Maybe they'll be the things that get me interested.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I've never been too big into Anime, so Ghost in the Shell and Akira don't interest me too much apart from who's involved in adapting them. Maybe they'll be the things that get me interested.

Does this include Miyazaki? Because his stuff is far from typical Anime. And I would include Satoshi Kon as well.

I've heard about his work, but I've never seen any of it. My knowledge of foreign film is mediocre at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom